LTC unrestricted large capacity

aot2002

I just wanted to give my feedback here on MA experience

With that being said I was a LTC with hunting / target shooting from NY state and moved to MA bringing along my 9mm S&W Military/Police handgun and a 30-06 rifle.

When arriving I was about 2 weeks before I took my safety course AGAIN...:(
The course was 3 hours long and had live fire shooting.
I called the local police department and went in for paperwork to apply they couldn't get me in until 3 weeks because of only certain dates to apply. They were so nice and said don't worry about the 60 day limit we don't make it a big deal unless you're carrying it.

So I applied when I went to the station it took 15 minutes Yes I timed it and the process was simple mostly we did talking about how crappy the NY gun laws are...go figure.
In exactly 5.6 weeks I got my Class A / Large capacity license Wooot!

I went to the gun store that day and purchased another hand gun Ruger and that took about 40 minutes.

Now let me tell you about the experience in NY state (Upstate) for those who think MA is tough.
4 months to get into the safety course
11 months to get approved
You cannot shoot live ever without first having a license.
You only get hunting / target shooting unless it's extreme case that you must prove by appealing which many have tried multiple times.
When you purchase a new gun / 2nd gun you must wait 4 weeks for the judge to approve even though you already have a license
all guns must be registered against the license

So I'm really starting to wonder here because all I heard before the move is ohh good luck. I have 6 people I know in upstate with the same experience as I had all of us have a crystal clear record except myself which I have one thing that was explunged when I was 16 yrs old.

Just wanted to give my feedback

Ya, compared to other anti states, MA is the best of the worst as you can sorta decide your gun freedom by moving to the right town. It's still terrible when compared with the rest of the country though. Just keep in mind, although you have an LTC-A, "large capacity" is only when it's pre-ban! So if your M&P9 has the 17rd's that their supposed to come with get them swapped out!

Also, fill out your profile, it's always good to see what towns are giving out unrestricted LTC's

I didn't care for the large capacity, If I can't hit my target with less then 2 bullets I got bigger fish to fry and probably don't need to be holding any guns.
Profile update done

I never said 1 shot is all I need. Being precise is what I aim for, then those over sized mags seem like waste. :)

I never said 1 shot is all I need. Being precise is what I aim for, then those over sized mags seem like waste. :)

Um... Actually you did.

You said that if you can't hit your target with less than two shots, you shouldn't be handling a gun anyway.

So... It sounds like only one shot should be all you need.

Um... Actually you did.

You said that if you can't hit your target with less than two shots, you shouldn't be handling a gun anyway.

So... It sounds like only one shot should be all you need.

I would think MOST people read that as a guy that is more worried about shot placement than worrying about needing more than 10rds to hit somebody. But I guess you've just got nothing better to do than to nitpick. Unreal, big troll spike lately.

A very scary but true statistic is the hit rate during a gun fight. Most shots are fired at 3 yards and have something like a 38% hit rate

Makes sense to me considering the nerves of people when that time comes. I've also heard that 2 shots is all the average citizen has fired during a traumatic event. It would make sense to focus mainly on accuracy first although having more ammo is a plus.

I would think MOST people read that as a guy that is more worried about shot placement than worrying about needing more than 10rds to hit somebody. But I guess you've just got nothing better to do than to nitpick. Unreal, big troll spike lately.

:sarcastic: +1 ......

I guess I missed that. Sounded to me like bravado on your part.
Cocky can get you killed in a gun fight and I would think that one would want to stack the deck on their side and carry as many rounds as they could.
If you only need two rounds (or less, as you stated) then shot placement would and should be a priority during practice for you.

I guess I missed that. Sounded to me like bravado on your part.
Cocky can get you killed in a gun fight and I would think that one would want to stack the deck on their side and carry as many rounds as they could.
If you only need two rounds (or less, as you stated) then shot placement would and should be a priority during practice for you.

>>or less, as you stated
he didn't state that opinion I did, I think you read the QUOTE as if I typed it.

>>Cocky can get you killed in a gun fight
Bullets can also get you killed too. :p

>>I would think that one would want to stack the deck on their side and carry as many rounds as they could
True and they should but focus first on accuracy not just adding more bullets.

>>If you only need two rounds (or less, as you stated) then shot placement would and should be a priority during practice for you.
And it is and should be for anyone.

>>or less, as you stated
he didn't state that opinion I did, I think you read the QUOTE as if I typed it.

I did and I am wrong. See below.

>>Cocky can get you killed in a gun fight
Bullets can also get you killed too. :p

True

>>I would think that one would want to stack the deck on their side and carry as many rounds as they could
True and they should but focus first on accuracy not just adding more bullets.

True but I am still for stacking the deck in my favor, hence more rounds

>>If you only need two rounds (or less, as you stated) then shot placement would and should be a priority during practice for you.
And it is and should be for anyone.

And it is, has been and always will be.

You are correct. I am wrong. He did not make the two bullets or less statement, you did.
I am sorry for my mistake and will be more careful I'm the future.

I didn't care for the large capacity, If I can't hit my target with less then 2 bullets I got bigger fish to fry and probably don't need to be holding any guns.
Profile update done

It has nothing to do with HITS and everything to do with taking the BG down. If you hit him twice and he is still coming at you with a BIG knife do you stop shooting?

aot2002
Why be foolish and not get the LTC-A? Just because you have a LTC-A dosen't mean you have to carry a large cap firearm, but if you ever do someday you can without having to go through the trouble.... Don't limit yourself in a state that thrives on limitations. Texas requires you qualify with the type firearm you will carry. If you qualify with a revolver that is what you must carry, but if you qualify with a semi auto you can carry either....

aot2002
Why be foolish and not get the LTC-A? Just because you have a LTC-A dosen't mean you have to carry a large cap firearm, but if you ever do someday you can without having to go through the trouble.... Don't limit yourself in a state that thrives on limitations. Texas requires you qualify with the type firearm you will carry. If you qualify with a revolver that is what you must carry, but if you qualify with a semi auto you can carry either....

>>Why be foolish and not get the LTC-A?
I already have the LTC-A ??? Did you read the post?

My apologizes aot2002... I did read the intial post but think I lost the translation somewhere in the thread as it wandered to shots fired and my brain farted... Sorry I used the word "foolish"........

No worries yes I applied though for the LTC-A because who the heck would not want the highest possible license. At the very least I can brag that I got it even if I didn't use the large mags.

Thanks.. Happens to me once and awhile when I am supposed to be working but am surfing USA Carry instead..
When I lived in Springfield I carried a S&W Model 19... No high capacity there but they switched things around to the LTC-A I switched over right away. Ironically I still do not own a handgun with a high cap.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back