looking to buy a rifle>>>>

I looking to buy a rifle to hunt deer , hogs ..etc. I got $400 to buy a rifle , witch one you guys think will be the best for the money?, thank you

I am a "dyed in the wool" 30-06 man and the best rifle that I ever bought for deer hunting is a Ruger 77. I have many more but it is deadly accurate, has a light recoil, and the action is smooth. I shot an "03 Springfield for 15+ years and this one replaced it easily. Other rounds will do just as well for normal hunting. 270s are necked down '06s and are flatter shooting with nearly as big a payload. 243s are very popular and are necked down 308s. 308s have similiar ballistics to the '06 and lots of folks love them--have a few myself.
Any centerfire rifle will make you a good deer rifle but I prefer one of the above. 25-06s, 280s, 260s, etc are all good rounds. I am a skinny 140# 6'2" old fart and '06s do not punish my shoulder so much that I will change. If you are squeamish or of light frame then the 243 may be what you want. It is much more pleasant to shoot and is fairly flat shooting. I have only shot a few deer at over 200 yards so long range accuracy is not a concern. A bud uses an old SKS and has killed quite a few deer with it. The 7.62X39 cartridge is nothing to sneeze about--ask any vet about them. They are not 500 yd shooters but then again, most of your shots will be around 100 or less. A shotgun is probably the most versatile shooter you can have. A slug barrel will shoot like a rifle out to about 75-100 yds and buckshot is great at one third that range. A bud killed a doe last year while bird hunting with #71/2 shot. Close up a shotgun is tough to beat.
Hope I have not totally confused you. Go to your favorite gun store and shoulder a few. See what feels comfortable and natural to you. I have an old 742 carbine length in '06 that fits like a glove. Actually is more accurate than the longer barreled 7400s. Hope you find something that you fall in love with and enjoy shooting.

Do you hunt brushy country or open country? In brush I really like a shorter rifle. I have used 30-30 lever actions a lot when the country is brushy and the shots are close and quick. In this type of ruff a scope just gets in the way. In open country I like a bolt action with a scope. The scope helps me because my eyes aren't what they should be. :blink: I love the 270 for just about anything, but for larger game I finally ungraded to a magnum caliber so that I don't have to stalk up so close. If you have never had a hunting rifle before you can't buy a wrong one for your first one. The things that you learn from you first rifle and your hunts with it with teach you what you need to know when you are buying a rifle for YOU. I prefer wooden stocks and a blued finish so I have bought more guns used then new. Like -06 said"Just go to your favorite gun store and shoulder a few" If you don't have a favorite gun store, find one. Good luck and have fun!

thank you guys, what you guys think about this rifles, Mossberg ATR 30-06/.308 ,and Remington 700 or 710..
what you guys think about recoil between the 30-06 and .308?

thank you guys, what you guys think about this rifles, Mossberg ATR 30-06/.308 ,and Remington 700 or 710..
Who do you prefer, Ginger, or Mary Ann?
What ever the 308 can do, the 06 can do better.
The 308 has a shorter action.
The 308 will work just fine on any deer, or hog, and black bear.
Both use the same bullets if you hand load. I think the 308 is more versatile for hand loading.
Range time- one hour with the 06, one hour with the 308, you will be less bruised with the 308.
When you fire at a deer, you never feel the recoil, and sometimes, don't even hear the shot.
The 06 is the all time classic.
The 06 will reach out further with more punch.
The 06 will work on Elk, and brown bear.
The 308 was/is a NATO round

I prefer the 308, but, some prefer the 06.
Again Ginger, or Mary Ann.

My vote goes for Mary Ann.

Of some significance to many is that if you run out of ammo, 30-30 and 30-06 are more likely to be in the corner store than .308.

I've read that the .308 has slight advantage to target shooters ... the shorter case being SLIGHTLY better for burn uniformity than the 30-06 case ... same bullet ... but cannot substantiate this.

Rifle

I have a Ruger M77 Mark2 and a Remington 710. I have shot Rem 700, mossberg, and others. The new Ruger bolt rifles cycle somewhat rough (poor machining tolerances). The 710 bolt rides on nylon and can be sticky, but is an accurate shooter. The older 700s can be great if you can find one in good shape, new can get out of your price range.

If I had the dough to buy another "deer" rifle I would go with a Savage with the new accu-stock or one of their new EDGE rifles: Savage EDGE 308 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $261.00
Link Removed

If you have never shot "hunting" rifles I would go with a .308 or .270. Maybe even a .243.

Ease your way up on the recoil scale or you could develop a flinch or other bad habits.

Also be prepared to spend $200+ to get a good scope. I recommend the Burris Fullfield line although Sportsmans guide has a nice Pentax scope for $70.

today I went to a couples pawns andI found this
mossberg ATR 30-06<<$250 with out the scope
Remington 700 30-06 <<<<<$500 nice scope
savage 110 270<<<<< $349
they all used rifles looking in good condition,
what you guys think??/

Where you going hunting randy? Florida? Do you need that much firepower? Deer and most hogs can be taken with a 30 30 lever.

You can find them used cheap.

Ammo is no problem.

Randy, my son(who is an excellent shot) has "parked" his 300 Weatherby Mag, 7400 '06, and a 308 in favor of my old trusty Marlin 30/30. He uses iron sights only and will shoot with the best of them. I have another one with see through mounts and a Bushnell 3X9X50 scope. Most of my rifles have see through mounts. That way I can use 50 mm objective lens and still see my iron sights. The extra 10mms of size is helpful in low light--those golden minutes when deer travel the most. My bull barreled rifles are very seldom used for hunting big game unless I have 4-500 yd shots offered. The 220 Swift is for varmints and plinking and the 700 for serious stuff.

Randy, my son(who is an excellent shot) has "parked" his 300 Weatherby Mag, 7400 '06, and a 308 in favor of my old trusty Marlin 30/30. He uses iron sights only and will shoot with the best of them. I have another one with see through mounts and a Bushnell 3X9X50 scope. Most of my rifles have see through mounts. That way I can use 50 mm objective lens and still see my iron sights. The extra 10mms of size is helpful in low light--those golden minutes when deer travel the most. My bull barreled rifles are very seldom used for hunting big game unless I have 4-500 yd shots offered. The 220 Swift is for varmints and plinking and the 700 for serious stuff.

what you think about a savage 110 ???

Depends on the area you hunt and what type of shot's you'll be making. If you hunt more in brush areas with shots within 150 yards, there's nothing wrong with a good lever action in 30-30, 35 Rem, or handgun calibers like 44 mag. If you will stretch it out a little further, I am a die-hard 308 or 30-06 shooter. There are plenty of good bolt actions out there for the money, like the Marlin and Savage bargain priced guns, or even used Remington 700, 7's , Brownings A-Bolts and Ruger 77's. Ammo availability and selection is excellent. If you want to scope the rifle, you can plan on more bucks for mounts, rings and of course the scope. But you can spend as much on the optics as you can the rifle in some cases. There are a few Package Deal guns by Savage, Mossberg and Marlin, if you are really limited on your bucks. But most of the scopes that come on these guns are marginal at best.

Not much difference in my opinion. I prefere the .308 because the rifle is short action instead of long action. Generally I find less bolt wobble in a short action - of course the quality of the rifle has some to play here. Ballistically, the 7.62 x 51 is VERY close to the 7.62 x 63. I think it comes down to a personal choice between the two calibers, both are strong. If you are hunting in heavy brush or scrub, you might want to try a lever action in .30-30 or .35 REM. I feel that a lever action is a quicker action during manipulation that the bolt action is. The Remington Model 710 is not in production anymore, it was replaced by the Model 770. I had a Model 710 in .30-06, and it worked very well. I was able, from a bench, to hold 2.5 inch groups at two hundred yards. Not quite MOA, but good enough for hunting purposes. I have read some good things about the Mossberg ATR Police Model - sub MOA groups in .308 on both writeups. Ammo is about the other 50% of the accuracy equation too. Quality rifle, quality ammo - usually means quality hunting.:laugh:

Not much difference in my opinion. I prefere the .308 because the rifle is short action instead of long action. Generally I find less bolt wobble in a short action - of course the quality of the rifle has some to play here. Ballistically, the 7.62 x 51 is VERY close to the 7.62 x 63. I think it comes down to a personal choice between the two calibers, both are strong. If you are hunting in heavy brush or scrub, you might want to try a lever action in .30-30 or .35 REM. I feel that a lever action is a quicker action during manipulation that the bolt action is. The Remington Model 710 is not in production anymore, it was replaced by the Model 770. I had a Model 710 in .30-06, and it worked very well. I was able, from a bench, to hold 2.5 inch groups at two hundred yards. Not quite MOA, but good enough for hunting purposes. I have read some good things about the Mossberg ATR Police Model - sub MOA groups in .308 on both writeups. Ammo is about the other 50% of the accuracy equation too. Quality rifle, quality ammo - usually means quality hunting.:laugh:

I got the Remy 770 chamber in 7 mm

I got the Remy 770 chamber in 7 mm

I personally like the feel of the Model 770. I know it is more of a budget priced rifle for them to produce, but like I said before, the 710 shot well for me. I have been eyeing a Model 770 in .243 WIN at Gander Mountain. I think this one comes with the Bushnell "Sharpshooter" scope that is variable power. I like the feel of the 770"s stock. I have never owned a rifle in .243, but I like what I see on the ballistic charts about that cartridge.:pleasantry: Is yours in 7mm Mag or 7mm-08?

I personally like the feel of the Model 770. I know it is more of a budget priced rifle for them to produce, but like I said before, the 710 shot well for me. I have been eyeing a Model 770 in .243 WIN at Gander Mountain. I think this one comes with the Bushnell "Sharpshooter" scope that is variable power. I like the feel of the 770"s stock. I have never owned a rifle in .243, but I like what I see on the ballistic charts about that cartridge.:pleasantry: Is yours in 7mm Mag or 7mm-08?
7 mm mag , very accurate at 100 yards , put the pic later

Any decent rifle should be accurate at 100 yards...now the shooter may be a different problem. My old Model 70 .30-06 (1949 manufacture) will shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards that all 5 shots touch (one ragged hole) all day long. This is off the shelf factory ammo.

I can get the same results from my Model 722 Remington (1952 manufacturer), .257 Roberts with factory ammo.

The .243 is a pretty light load and can take white tails. But you need to be a good shot and take your time to place them well to prevent injuring game. I have never really cared for the .243 cartridge.

For a good all around gun for North America, I'd still pick the 30-06 or 270. Lots of amo choice and it is readily available pretty much any where.

Ken

Any decent rifle should be accurate at 100 yards...now the shooter may be a different problem. My old Model 70 .30-06 (1949 manufacture) will shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards that all 5 shots touch (one ragged hole) all day long. This is off the shelf factory ammo.

I can get the same results from my Model 722 Remington (1952 manufacturer), .257 Roberts with factory ammo.

The .243 is a pretty light load and can take white tails. But you need to be a good shot and take your time to place them well to prevent injuring game. I have never really cared for the .243 cartridge.

For a good all around gun for North America, I'd still pick the 30-06 or 270. Lots of amo choice and it is readily available pretty much any where.

Ken

what you think about the 7 mm mag??

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back