looking for a gun with stopping power but little or no kick

Johns68

I am a recently retired Army medic, over 23 years, medically retired. I am disabled and need protection. Problem is a gun with stopping power also knocks me down. I am looking for a gun with decent stopping power but with very little kick, not a 9 MM, had one for twenty three years and hated it. Can anyone help me with my search?

Hi,

thank you for your service. Now that you back in civilian life you probably need to forget a few things you have learned while in service and need to learn a few things that you were never taught. This will help to dispel some of the caliber and ammunition choice myths: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo, An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power, Terminal Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue and Link Removed.

There are always trade-offs involved. The more energy a projectile has and the lighter the gun, the more recoil you will have: Handgun Recoil Table. A bigger the bullet will result in a bigger wound, but also in lower handgun capacity. Most of handgun shooting is not a hardware problem (i.e., gun and ammunition), but a software problem (i.e., training and practice).

The 9mm FMJ you may have carried in service is not the same 9mm JHP we civilians carry. Most veterans I know carry 9mm or .45 ACP. Common choices are Glock 19 or Glock 21, a quality Commander-size 1911 (not Kimber, no compact 1911 in .45 ACP), and Sig Sauer P226 or P229.

There are a number of other factors that are important as well, such as long-term reliability, the ability to replace broken parts (by yourself or via the manufacturer warranty), shoot-ability (do you shoot well with it), and carry-ability (can you carry it every day).

Last, but not least, go to a range that rents handguns and try them out!!!

PS: Here is a video on the damage certain ammunition causes: 9mm vs .45 vs Rifle A Dr's View of Gunshot Wounds (graphic photos)

Last edited:
What you need is the glare of the wild dog. I can stop a rhino in its tracks with a look, and there's no recoil.

I am a recently retired Army medic, over 23 years, medically retired. I am disabled and need protection. Problem is a gun with stopping power also knocks me down. I am looking for a gun with decent stopping power but with very little kick, not a 9 MM, had one for twenty three years and hated it. Can anyone help me with my search?
I highly recommend the Sig P220 Elite Stainless SRT Carry-45 acp. Stopping power with less "kick" than my 9mm.

Link Removed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e8SvK22HUw

You should really consider the 5.7x28mm round, if you can drop the funds to buy and feed such a creature. Check this review from 6 years ago:

Link Removed

Since then the ammo price HAS dropped by a good bit. I am really considering this for my girlfriend, who is very recoil averse. She tried shooting one, and she loves it.

Additionally, one might consider a P90 as a pdw for cross platform ammo compatibility. Just my .02

You should really consider the 5.7x28mm round, if you can drop the funds to buy and feed such a creature. Check this review from 6 years ago:

Link Removed

Since then the ammo price HAS dropped by a good bit. I am really considering this for my girlfriend, who is very recoil averse. She tried shooting one, and she loves it.

Additionally, one might consider a P90 as a pdw for cross platform ammo compatibility. Just my .02

Just to be clear, 5.7x28mm out of a pistol is ballistically completely different than out of a rifle. Out of a pistol, it is similar to a .22 Magnum. You do get the needed penetration, which I think is more important than the width of the wound channel and the associated damage. The FN FiveSeven has high capacity and is low-recoiling, but is also a little big for carry.

ShootingTheBull410 | FN FiveSeven SS197SR 5.7x28mm ammo test in ClearBallistics gel
Military Arms Channel | 5.7x28mm vs. 22 Magnum

Link Removed

Best thing by far is to go to a range, rent a couple handguns and see what happens and you should be able to find a sidearm that works for you. There are several who also sell so they can help ypou find the one that works for you. Hang in there, I am also a retired medic from the Army but when i got out I was still using the Colt 45. Still love that thing and am picking up one tomorrow to go with my Springfield Armory XD 40 Cal, Taurus PT140 Millennium G2 40 cal and Bersa 380.

Accuracy is more important than bullet size since a BB in the eye has more stopping power than a .45 in the finger. I know that is an extreme example yet it illustrates that caliber is not as important as the ability to be accurate with the caliber used.

There are folks who are extremely accurate with a .45 and there are others who are only accurate with a .22. The wise thing for any person to do would be to use the caliber they personally are most accurate with regardless of what caliber that might be.

With that in mind it makes perfect sense to, as some have already suggested, go to a range and rent some guns in order to discover what gun/caliber combination works the best.

The biggest question that I see is: are you looking for a carry gun, or a home defense firearm? This is important, because the easiest way to negate recoil is with a larger, heavier gun. On that some note, nobody wants a large, heavy gun for their every day carry.

Totally ignoring your anti-9mm statement, I'd humbly suggest you look at a Boberg XR-9. Because of it's unique feeding design, it allows a longer barrel than its overall length would suggest, resulting in minimal kick. Come to think of it, they also have a .45 cal. version that you might like. I have a 9mm and it's my daily carry gun and I enjoy running a magazine full through it at the range, too.
Boberg XR9 & XR45 | Most Powerful Pocket Pistols On Earth is the website.

My 2 cents worth.

I'd suggest modern .380 ACP in a non-polymer pistol. Perhaps the PPK or the Bersa Thunder380. If you need higher capacity, Bersa makes the Thunder380 Plus, which has a double-stack magazine, giving 15+1. With the advances in cartridge development and performance, I think it would be a good fit. Recoil is less than a 9mm, Both Federal Hydro-shok and Hornady Critical Defense lines of ammunition seemed to perform well, and the blow back action design seems inherently more accurate for some people.

Mark

Link Removed

Not a lame gimmick, the lowered barrel design greatly reduces muzzle flip and helps the arm better absorb recoil even in .357mag.

I can vouch for the Bersa Thunder 380. It is all steel construction and is very accurate without the muzzle flip yet very powerful and will get the job done. The ammunition available now is very well made and just as powerful on tests that I have seen. Youtube has many videos on different ammunition that is tested and worth a view before you make a decision. I would tell anyone to do research before deciding on which ammo or weapon to choice before buying.

I can vouch for the Bersa Thunder 380. It is all steel construction and is very accurate without the muzzle flip yet very powerful and will get the job done. The ammunition available now is very well made and just as powerful on tests that I have seen. Youtube has many videos on different ammunition that is tested and worth a view before you make a decision. I would tell anyone to do research before deciding on which ammo or weapon to choice before buying.

Link Removed

I am surprised that no one has mentioned revolvers as a carry potential. While small revolvers can have quite a kick, standard pressure .38's out of a steel frame medium sized revolver are pretty manageable, and there are a number of low-recoil defense loads available. You are always going to have a trade-off between firearm weight and recoil.

Great question! Many suggested going to a range that has a variety of hand guns for rent or loan and try many out to find what you are looking for, I agree with them. Training and ammo used is also a factor! Good luck in your search!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back