Looking for a decent pistol safe.

I have the biometric speedvault mounted to the side of my couch in the living room. I also have another type of biometric safe upstairs. Overall I have no problems with the biometric reading of either of my safes. With this speed safe though is more of a finger swipe over the scanner than a normal reader. You first hit a button and then swipe your finger across it. There is a 1-2 second delay between the time it beeps and the time it opens. Just to be on the safe side, I swipe my finger 2-3 times during this delay to make sure it opens each time. On my bigger safer with normal reader I have never had a bad read

Link Removed

I don't know how big your couch is or how heavy it is but I don't think I'm a big fan of having the safe out in the open like that, especially in a living room. Does your gun stay in that safe all the time even when you're away from home?

Its not actually in the open. Theres an end table that sits next to it which I moved away to take the picture and the gf made sort of a slip cover for it too. Yes a gun remains in it at all times. Much of the time I sleep on the couch and wanted something to keep within reach. The safe is meant for child proofing more so then theft but I doubt anyone coming into the house would move furniture in an attempt to search my couch

People sell gun safes used all the time. We just picked up a 600$ Centurion for 325$ from a guy who is on his way to SHAPE and can't take it with him. Try looking through online sale pages in your area

Well, I decided on the Sentry Safe Quick Access Pistol Safe. They had them at Walmart for 99 bucks.
3f2f5efb1273d37fb761cd4bba53b8a9.jpg

Its not actually in the open. Theres an end table that sits next to it which I moved away to take the picture and the gf made sort of a slip cover for it too. Yes a gun remains in it at all times. Much of the time I sleep on the couch and wanted something to keep within reach. The safe is meant for child proofing more so then theft but I doubt anyone coming into the house would move furniture in an attempt to search my couch

Oh, ok. I was just curious.

I have the Gun vault with the pin pad it works great for temporary storage when children visit but it far from quick access in an emergency. Delayed reaction from unlocking mechanism and noisey which doesn't give you the element of surprise. Otherwise it's a decent safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Well, I decided on the Sentry Safe Quick Access Pistol Safe. They had them at Walmart for 99 bucks.
3f2f5efb1273d37fb761cd4bba53b8a9.jpg

Looks like a good choice. Not cheap however.

My gun box cost only $50.

Now you need to figure out a way to secure it to wherever you want it.

Mine I drilled a hole through with my 1/4 inch drill bit, then put a padlock through that, attached to a heavy chain, which then secures to anything I want to secure it with another padlock.

People sell gun safes used all the time. We just picked up a 600$ Centurion for 325$ from a guy who is on his way to SHAPE and can't take it with him. Try looking through online sale pages in your area

I lover my Centurion !!

Liberty Inc makes great safes.

I have the Gun vault with the pin pad it works great for temporary storage when children visit but it far from quick access in an emergency. Delayed reaction from unlocking mechanism and noisey which doesn't give you the element of surprise. Otherwise it's a decent safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I didn't get my Sentry Safe for quick access, I just got it primarily for secure lockup when I'm not home but, it's nice that the buttons don't emit an audible tone when pressed, though. They just light up and blink appropriately. The lid is a little noisy upon opening but it's really not all that loud.

Hopefully the batteries last longer than what some of the reviews said which was anywhere from like four to six weeks. But at least it has low battery indicator so you can hopefully see it beforehand and not have to find out at the most inopportune time in the middle of the night when your life may depend on it.

Looks like a good choice. Not cheap however.

My gun box cost only $50.

Now you need to figure out a way to secure it to wherever you want it.

Mine I drilled a hole through with my 1/4 inch drill bit, then put a padlock through that, attached to a heavy chain, which then secures to anything I want to secure it with another padlock.

Actually it wasn't all that bad. Walmart had it for 99 bucks. Cabela's has it for nearly 130...lol.

Since I don't have a need to carry mine with me, I just went ahead and secured it in an out of sight location. I did however enlarge the bolt holes a little so they could accommodate much bigger lag screws.

Actually it wasn't all that bad. Walmart had it for 99 bucks. Cabela's has it for nearly 130...lol.

Since I don't have a need to carry mine with me, I just went ahead and secured it in an out of sight location. I did however enlarge the bolt holes a little so they could accommodate much bigger lag screws.

Well I would not rely on hiding it.

My home was broken into back in 2014 and the thief (or thieves) turned over everything except the gun safe. They will turn over everything in your home too.

Drill a hole through the gun box, run a padlock through it, attach this to a heavy chain, and attach the chain with another padlock to your metal bed post someplace where it cannot be removed without a torch or hacksaw.

For my car, I attach the chain to the metal base of the passenger seat.

Well I would not rely on hiding it.

My home was broken into back in 2014 and the thief (or thieves) turned over everything except the gun safe. They will turn over everything in your home too.

Drill a hole through the gun box, run a padlock through it, attach this to a heavy chain, and attach the chain with another padlock to your metal bed post someplace where it cannot be removed without a torch or hacksaw.

For my car, I attach the chain to the metal base of the passenger seat.

Oh, it's bolted down...lol.

This is what we have for Jeep use only.

Link Removed

We attach the cable around the bottom of the seat frame and tuck the box under the seat. We use it for short-term gun storage only when we go somewhere that we can't carry the gun inside.

At home we use a full-size Liberty safe.

I have the Gunvault MV500-STD that I have used for years. I bought the biometric version at a door buster sale at Cabelas and have been disappointed in it. Finger print reader fails 1/3 of the time. I got so aggravated with it that I switched back to my original push button model. Wouldn't want to bet my life on the biometric model in a home intruder situation.

Hopefully the batteries last longer than what some of the reviews said which was anywhere from like four to six weeks. But at least it has low battery indicator so you can hopefully see it beforehand and not have to find out at the most inopportune time in the middle of the night when your life may depend on it.
I have had mine for 3 months now. I access it at least 2 times a day and have not had to change the batteries yet. I am using Low Self Discharge Amazon Basics Rechargeable batteries.

The instructions for the safe say do jot use rechargeables. Just like 70% of electronics I buy. Never had a problem with it before. I don't buy regular one time use batteries.

If you have battery problems with the safe try using a quality low self discharge rechargeable batteries in it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Link Removed

I have had mine for 3 months now. I access it at least 2 times a day and have not had to change the batteries yet. I am using Low Self Discharge Amazon Basics Rechargeable batteries.

The instructions for the safe say do jot use rechargeables. Just like 70% of electronics I buy. Never had a problem with it before. I don't buy regular one time use batteries.

If you have battery problems with the safe try using a quality low self discharge rechargeable batteries in it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Link Removed

I would not want my life to depend on batteries (I feel sorry for everyone who wears a pacemaker too).

This is what we have for Jeep use only.

Link Removed

We attach the cable around the bottom of the seat frame and tuck the box under the seat. We use it for short-term gun storage only when we go somewhere that we can't carry the gun inside.

At home we use a full-size Liberty safe.

That looks good.

I prefer key safes with a padlock drilled through it though.

To each his own.

Oh, it's bolted down...lol.

Cornee, no system is fool proof.

If they want to they can bring an oxyacetalene tourch and cut through anything.

The idea is to make it hard for them not easy.

The only safe place for a gun of any kind (pistol, revolver, shotgun, carbine, or rifle) is on your person.

And besides your gun the only thing on this Earth that you can trust is your dog. Or cat.

Pets won't ever kill you for your insurance money, revenge, or because they are unfaithful.

Cornee, no system is fool proof.

If they want to they can bring an oxyacetalene tourch and cut through anything.

The idea is to make it hard for them not easy.

The only safe place for a gun of any kind (pistol, revolver, shotgun, carbine, or rifle) is on your person.

And besides your gun the only thing on this Earth that you can trust is your dog. Or cat.

Pets won't ever kill you for your insurance money, revenge, or because they are unfaithful.

What's your point? It sounded to me like you thought I just had my safe sitting wherever I keep it, not bolted down to anything.

It's bolted down and it's hidden. What more do I need to do?

And it's cor-neil-e-ous.

Since I have only one pistol, I bought the Gunvault 2000 a couple of years ago. big enough for my pistol and 2 mags. I chose the key lock version over the combination model. Comes with 1500 lb. cable retainer. FAA approved. I can use it in my truck, car, home. Cost less that $30.00.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back