Looking for a decent pistol safe.

corneileous

Looking to get a pistol safe either like, or similar to the two pictured.

Just curious if any of you guys use one of these and what you think of them or have any ideas or input.

I'm thinking of getting one so that I can leave my house pistol on the headboard or in the nightstand or something but still have it locked and secured when nobody's home.

Thanks.
47d4c713bfe3669ec49d8e1f9762424e.jpg

48a089c3078723322cdc53cfa9bcf76a.jpg

First, do not use these as what they are advertised for, as quick access safes. Nothing about using a safe as quick access as simply just carrying or placing the gun within reach.

I would not recommend the biometric ones, as their reliability to open when needed is not good. For the electronically operated ones, use one with battery and external power supply. The battery should work as a backup to the external power. Also, always know where your backup key is. Understand that these can be broken into by someone who knows how the backup key lock works.

I have the Link Removed, the Link Removed and the Link Removed for various applications. I never had any problems with mine. The Deluxe editions are bolted to a floor or wall, while the NanoVault is attached to the seat of my car with a steel cable. The Deluxe editions also do have a motion detector with audio alarm, just in case someone is taking the crowbar to it. The NanoVault's steel cable can be defeated with a bolt cutter.

Another alternative are safes with a purely mechanical simplex lock. The Fort Knox Pistol Vaults are the top of the line products in this category. The Link Removed are good too.

First, do not use these as what they are advertised for, as quick access safes. Nothing about using a safe as quick access as simply just carrying or placing the gun within reach.

I would not recommend the biometric ones, as their reliability to open when needed is not good. For the electronically operated ones, use one with battery and external power supply. The battery should work as a backup to the external power. Also, always know where your backup key is. Understand that these can be broken into by someone who knows how the backup key lock works.

I have the Link Removed, the Link Removed and the Link Removed for various applications. I never had any problems with mine. The Deluxe editions are bolted to a floor or wall, while the NanoVault is attached to the seat of my car with a steel cable. The Deluxe editions also do have a motion detector with audio alarm, just in case someone is taking the crowbar to it. The NanoVault's steel cable can be defeated with a bolt cutter.

Another alternative are safes with a purely mechanical simplex lock. The Fort Knox Pistol Vaults are the top of the line products in this category. The Link Removed are good too.

So, if you don't recommend the biometric safes for reliability issues, why do you have two? Plus, I don't know how long you've had yours but you state you haven't had problems with either of them.

But I guess in all actuality, when I'm at home, I really don't need a biometric safe to keep my bedside gun secured in, even as I sleep because while I'm at home, my gun can be left out in the open on the headboard. It's when I leave is when I want it secured. A big, upright gun safe would probably be better bet but I don't plan on ever owning that many guns or ammunition to justify the nearly thousand bucks in price for one of them big, honkin' things.

So, if you don't recommend the biometric safes for reliability issues, why do you have two? Plus, I don't know how long you've had yours but you state you haven't had problems with either of them.

But I guess in all actuality, when I'm at home, I really don't need a biometric safe to keep my bedside gun secured in, even as I sleep because while I'm at home, my gun can be left out in the open on the headboard. It's when I leave is when I want it secured. A big, upright gun safe would probably be better bet but I don't plan on ever owning that many guns or ammunition to justify the nearly thousand bucks in price for one of them big, honkin' things.

If you look at the actual model numbers and links I posted, you would realize that I don't have the biometric safes. GunVault makes both, with and without biometric readers. I had mine now for slightly over 4 years.

Read Gun Safe Buyer’s Guide. Sometimes a toolbox, like a Link Removed, is just as good as a big gun safe.

I've read too many negative reviews for biometric locks. They just aren't reliable enough for me to trust. I prefer keypad combo with key backup. That's what we have on our "big, honkin''" safe. On our pistol lockbox for the Jeep we have a simple combo lock and security cable.

If we're home, the carrying gun is either being worn or set out. If we're away, the carrying gun is with us. All our other guns are locked in the big safe when not in use. We keep our bulk ammo in a cheap key-locked safe that's more like a locker.

When you narrow down your choices, read verified buyers' reviews at sales sites, even if you're going to shop elsewhere.

Looking to get a pistol safe either like, or similar to the two pictured.

Just curious if any of you guys use one of these and what you think of them or have any ideas or input.

I'm thinking of getting one so that I can leave my house pistol on the headboard or in the nightstand or something but still have it locked and secured when nobody's home.

Thanks.
47d4c713bfe3669ec49d8e1f9762424e.jpg

48a089c3078723322cdc53cfa9bcf76a.jpg

Mine is similar to the flat square one pictured.

I only use it in my car for times when I cannot take the pistol with me.

Then I lock it and the spare mag inside the metal box.

I also drilled a 1/4 inch hole completely through a corner of the box, through which I fit a padlock and a chain, which is chained to the interior of my car with another padlock. It would require a hacksaw and a lot of time, or a really big chain cutter, to get the box out of the car.

The padlock keep the metal box closed. It is impossible to open it without removing the padlock from it.

If you look at the actual model numbers and links I posted, you would realize that I don't have the biometric safes. GunVault makes both, with and without biometric readers. I had mine now for slightly over 4 years.

I did look but as you can see from the picture below, the mechanism on top is in the shape of a hand with what looks like fingerprint sensors. Are these combination buttons, or what? They didn't appear to have numbers printed on them. Besides, Gun Vault's website does a horrible job describing the products so, I don't know how they work. But since you have two, perhaps you could do a better job describing them.
12bf3b27367205a157d3422e57a36cf9.jpg

Read Gun Safe Buyer’s Guide. Sometimes a toolbox, like a Link Removed, is just as good as a big gun safe.

I never thought about one of them lanky things. That might not fit through the doors. Lol.

Mine is similar to the flat square one pictured.

I only use it in my car for times when I cannot take the pistol with me.

Then I lock it and the spare mag inside the metal box.

I also drilled a 1/4 inch hole completely through a corner of the box, through which I fit a padlock and a chain, which is chained to the interior of my car with another padlock. It would require a hacksaw and a lot of time, or a really big chain cutter, to get the box out of the car.

The padlock keep the metal box closed. It is impossible to open it without removing the padlock from it.

Which one do you have?

I've read too many negative reviews for biometric locks. They just aren't reliable enough for me to trust. I prefer keypad combo with key backup. That's what we have on our "big, honkin''" safe. On our pistol lockbox for the Jeep we have a simple combo lock and security cable.

If we're home, the carrying gun is either being worn or set out. If we're away, the carrying gun is with us. All our other guns are locked in the big safe when not in use. We keep our bulk ammo in a cheap key-locked safe that's more like a locker.

When you narrow down your choices, read verified buyers' reviews at sales sites, even if you're going to shop elsewhere.

Yeah, that's why I said, I don't guess I need a fingerprint box as much as I thought I did before because the gun is more than likely gonna spend its time on the headboard when I'm home and only gonna be in the lock box whenever I leave.

I used to carry this gun wherever I went but since I now have my much smaller pistol that's always on me, this one just pretty serves as a home defense pistol now.

I take it you didn't appreciate my humorous terminology of a big, upright gun safe??...[emoji854]

Hi corneileous,

Both are good, but i think you must go with the first one as one of my friend is using this one and it is good. Even you can check the rating and review regarding this in the below link.

https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-SV5...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PF9ANED001ZA1DXG6TKW

Here you will also get answers to your queries regarding this product as people who are using this have answered so many queries there.

Good Luck.. :)

I'm actually considering this one a little bit. I've seen and handled one in person. A buddy of mine bought one at a Costco or Sams Club, and it seemed to be a pretty good, solid safe. However, I didn't get to play with it that much because we quickly found out that someone had already bought it and retuned it and, they forgot to put the key back in the package so, you couldn't open the safe to put the batteries in to check out the keypad.

I did look but as you can see from the picture below, the mechanism on top is in the shape of a hand with what looks like fingerprint sensors. Are these combination buttons, or what? They didn't appear to have numbers printed on them. Besides, Gun Vault's website does a horrible job describing the products so, I don't know how they work. But since you have two, perhaps you could do a better job describing them.
12bf3b27367205a157d3422e57a36cf9.jpg

Looking at the Link Removed would be out of the question? There are 4 buttons in a cut-out for a hand. You just place your fingers in there and press the combination you previously programmed. It is designed for access without the need to look at the buttons. There is no need to number them. The combination can be quite complex as it is a sequence of pushing a single button and/or multiple buttons simultaneously. The model in the picture does not have a fingerprint sensor.

I am just sooooo incredibly sorry that I didn't see the link for the owner's manual and coerced you to describe it for me since you have one. Will you ever find it in your heart to forgive me?

I am just sooooo incredibly sorry that I didn't see the link for the owner's manual and coerced you to describe it for me since you have one. Will you ever find it in your heart to forgive me?

I would have, but there are numerous YouTube videos that you seem to have missed as well.

I would have, but there are numerous YouTube videos that you seem to have missed as well.

Yep, I guess I coulda done all this myself. I guess maybe I need to rethink my need for even bothering to have an account here at ole usacarry.com.

But since you're the only one that can answer this question (I hope), since you've had both your safes for around 4 years, are yours the ones that are powered also by the AA batteries or the single 9-volt?

This guy below has the AA version and claims it has no audible low-battery alarm on it and will drain the batteries every two months.

8 years, no failures, no batteries :biggrin:

Mechanical for me when my defensive gun is concerned. There are several brands. Consider how and where you will mount it as most only work mounted in one way.

Yep, I guess I coulda done all this myself. I guess maybe I need to rethink my need for even bothering to have an account here at ole usacarry.com.

But since you're the only one that can answer this question (I hope), since you've had both your safes for around 4 years, are yours the ones that are powered also by the AA batteries or the single 9-volt?

This guy below has the AA version and claims it has no audible low-battery alarm on it and will drain the batteries every two months.

9V. The ones with the AA batteries aren't produced anymore.

I have the biometric speedvault mounted to the side of my couch in the living room. I also have another type of biometric safe upstairs. Overall I have no problems with the biometric reading of either of my safes. With this speed safe though is more of a finger swipe over the scanner than a normal reader. You first hit a button and then swipe your finger across it. There is a 1-2 second delay between the time it beeps and the time it opens. Just to be on the safe side, I swipe my finger 2-3 times during this delay to make sure it opens each time. On my bigger safer with normal reader I have never had a bad read

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back