Loaded magazines, alone, considered concealed weapons?

mudshark100

When I conceal carry, I typically include two extra magazines on my belt. In South Carolina, I am restricted on where I can carry (Church, restaurants that serve alcohol, post office, etc.) and leave my Glock and magazines in the car when entering such places. My question is this: Would it be acceptable to leave the magazines concealed on my belt when entering restricted areas or are the loaded magazines themselves considered concealed weapons? It is my opinion that magazines, alone, are not restricted. What do you think?

I suspect you are going to have to read the actual Law to find that one out. It would not surprise me one bit if there exists language to that effect in at least SOME of the concealed carry Laws existant.

GG

I wouldn't carry them you might open a real can of worms. They might think you have a gun on you and call the cops, it just isn't worth the pain. Leave them in the car, what the heck your taking off the pistol leave the mags too..

How's this for an answer you won't like?

If you're so unfamilair with 23-31 and 16-23 that you have to ask that question, you should get your money back from your CWP instructor(s) and stop carrying a gun. This displays a high level of ignorance. A cartridge or a loaded magazine does not conform to the definition of concealable weapon... Not even close. You can carry spare ammo on bandoliers strapped across your chest. Legally. Ammunition is not a concealable weapon.

220px-Pancho_Villa_bandolier_crop.jpg

I live in Pa. but travel to Ohio alot so I checked into what I need to do at the Ohio state line with my CCW. Not only do I have to unload my gun and store it apart from the ammo, I must unload magazines and or speedloaders. Ohio's law considers a magazine loaded with ammo as a LOADED weapon and speedloaders with ammo as a LOADED weapon even though such devises are kept serarate from the gun.With Ohio having such a screwed-up law,no telling what other states my have on their books. Food for thought

I live in Pa. but travel to Ohio alot so I checked into what I need to do at the Ohio state line with my CCW. Not only do I have to unload my gun and store it apart from the ammo, I must unload magazines and or speedloaders. Ohio's law considers a magazine loaded with ammo as a LOADED weapon and speedloaders with ammo as a LOADED weapon even though such devises are kept serarate from the gun.With Ohio having such a screwed-up law,no telling what other states my have on their books. Food for thought
All of which has exactly zero, zilch, nada to do with carry in South Carolina. Why waste the electrons?

I posted info to point out how Libs. sneak in gun laws.that can catch you with your pants down. Ohio don't have nothing to do with S.C. but I'm sure S.C. isn't any different than the rest of the U.S. as far as stupid laws and stupid people.

For those of you in Pa. in which you can open carry without a permit. The moment you sit in your car with the gun on your belt you better have a CCP. It will be considered concealed. Now if you don't have a permit to CC then you have to lock the gun up separate from the ammo. If you leave the ammo in the magazine though it is separate from the locked away gun you will be considered having a loaded gun without a CC permit. That would be a no no

In South Carolina the following is a Concealed Weapon and is the only thing that is covered or involved with your CWP. It does not cover knives, batons, rifles, shotguns or ammunition. Also note that it does not cover all handguns as some are too long.

(6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

In South Carolina the following is a Concealed Weapon and is the only thing that is covered or involved with your CWP. It does not cover knives, batons, rifles, shotguns or ammunition. Also note that it does not cover all handguns as some are too long.

That's the way I saw it but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

I check SC Law with regard to explosives and hazardous materials...
I remember this being an issue a while back...

SC specifically states that small arms ammunition are not explosive materials.

SECTION 23-36-30. Definitions.
(2) "Explosive" means any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or intended common purpose of which is to function by explosion. The term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite and other high explosives, black powder in quantities in excess of five pounds, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, squibs, and detonating cord. It does not mean small arms ammunition or components of small arms ammunition.

However, even if they are not considered explosive materials in our state, FEDERAL regulations may be different, i.e. Post Office

For example: you have to pay explosive HAZ MAT fees for primers and gun powder which are components of small arms ammunition.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back