Liquor Store Carry

CZHipster

My wife and I were discussing carrying here in NC (I have a FL resident CCP) and I have a quick question for you permanent residents. When the law says this is unlawful carry :

o Any assembly where a fee had been charged for admission or where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

Does it mean stores where alcohol is sold at the retail level? If so grocery stores and gas station marts are off limits. I think that was not the intent of the law, but my wife said I should clarify. The phrase "sold and consumed" says to me that retail stores are OK. I understand that restaurant carry is of limits in this state because actual consumption of alcohol takes place there, but this is not the same. Any thoughts? Thanks...

I would tend to agree. Since you don't consume at the retail locations you listed I would think they would be OK.

If you read the whole section it specifies more than just "sold and consumed". In NC, ABC stores are run by the state, so only state employees work there. So sections 1 (state property), and 4 (state offices) may apply.

1. any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. §§ 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-
32.1. (school grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state
property
, legislative buildings, and public gatherings, such as parades);
2. any area prohibited by 18 USC § 922 or any other federal law;
3. any law enforcement agency or correctional facility;
4. a building housing only state or federal offices;
5. an office of the state or federal government that is not located in a building
exclusively occupied by the state or federal government;
6. a financial institution; or
7. any premises, except state owned rest areas or stops along the highways, where
notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a
conspicuous notice, or statement by the person in legal possession or control
of the premises.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)

any place that has a liquor consumption licence where you are allowed to consume on premises is a no carry place. but places that sell alcohol as purely retail like gas stations and grocery stores are fine. hell I've boughten a case of beer while open carrying plenty of times, nothing illegal about it.

be careful tho about gas stations/convenient stores, more and more are starting to get their consumption permits to cover their asses from idiots drinking out in the parking lots.

Liquor store is off limits because of the state employees there and the signs on the door (the signs are binding), not because any alcohol is consumed there (they are supposed to sell it, I should hope they don't drink it themselves). Retail stores there's no consumption and no state employees so it's good (unless they have signs).

If you read the whole section it specifies more than just "sold and consumed". In NC, ABC stores are run by the state, so only state employees work there. So sections 1 (state property), and 4 (state offices) may apply.

1. any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. §§ 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-
32.1. (school grounds, areas where alcohol is sold and consumed, state
property
, legislative buildings, and public gatherings, such as parades);
2. any area prohibited by 18 USC § 922 or any other federal law;
3. any law enforcement agency or correctional facility;
4. a building housing only state or federal offices;
5. an office of the state or federal government that is not located in a building
exclusively occupied by the state or federal government;
6. a financial institution; or
7. any premises, except state owned rest areas or stops along the highways, where
notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a
conspicuous notice, or statement by the person in legal possession or control
of the premises.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)

This is for concealed carry. Technically there is no law against open carrying in an ABC(liquor) store but most are posted.

To answer your question. Yes, you can carry your weapon in any retail store that sells liquor, beer or wine. Now, if it were something more along the lines of a Bar, no. Anyplace where 51% of retail is sold by liquor by the glass you cannot carry, but flip side to that is, anything where less than 48% of retail is liquor, you may carry. Stores are exempt.

To answer your question. Yes, you can carry your weapon in any retail store that sells liquor, beer or wine. Now, if it were something more along the lines of a Bar, no. Anyplace where 51% of retail is sold by liquor by the glass you cannot carry, but flip side to that is, anything where less than 48% of retail is liquor, you may carry. Stores are exempt.

He is in NC so this is incorrect. You cannot carry openly or concealed in any place the sells alcohol for on site consumption.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back