Limited Ammo Training

telpinaro

Found this... half an hour video, but interesting. I can't afford enough ammo to shoot a few hundred rounds every week, but I could manage 50! Obviously I'd love to do more, but I work with what I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7vD-aYInZc

Anybody have any other drills that can be effective on an "ammo budget?" I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't have a large stock of ammunition!

Dad taught me to double action dry fire my Colt Python with empty casing balanced on barrel.....It takes a lot of practice......

A drill I run pretty often goes like this: The weapon is HOT with one round in the mag or two rounds in the cylinder (depends what you're shooting). If you're shooting a revolver I suggest placing Snap Caps in all but one spot in your Speed Loader. This right here is where knowing your weapon pays off, do you know which way your cylinder indexes? I hope so... Also, you may have to slow the drill down a we bit to get the placement right. Anyway, I presume you're talking practicing with your CC piece so you'll want to practice drawing and engaging as such. So, from the ready position you will draw and fire two rounds center mass and immediately seek cover and reload. Once reloaded you lean out from behind cover and put one more round down range. Repeat as necessary. I find these drills are more realistic (as training can get) with somebody else calling the draw, a competition timer works too. You shouldn't draw on your own if you can help it, y'know. I find that 55 gallon drums work as great cover , trees or simply a pole you can imagine is wider than you are, heh.

This is a very simple drill that can allow you to draw, fire, reload and fire enough to get you sweating even with 50 rounds. Give it a try...

Howdy,

A drill I run pretty often goes like this: The weapon is HOT with one round in the mag or two rounds in the cylinder (depends what you're shooting). If you're shooting a revolver I suggest placing Snap Caps in all but one spot in your Speed Loader. This right here is where knowing your weapon pays off, do you know which way your cylinder indexes? I hope so... Also, you may have to slow the drill down a we bit to get the placement right. Anyway, I presume you're talking practicing with your CC piece so you'll want to practice drawing and engaging as such. So, from the ready position you will draw and fire two rounds center mass and immediately seek cover and reload. Once reloaded you lean out from behind cover and put one more round down range. Repeat as necessary. I find these drills are more realistic (as training can get) with somebody else calling the draw, a competition timer works too. You shouldn't draw on your own if you can help it, y'know. I find that 55 gallon drums work as great cover , trees or simply a pole you can imagine is wider than you are, heh.

This is a very simple drill that can allow you to draw, fire, reload and fire enough to get you sweating even with 50 rounds. Give it a try...

This is actually a pretty good way to practice. I do basically the same thing.

Using my Glock 23 I'll load one round into the mag, chamber round, holster gun and with a random "beep" from my Pocket Pro timer, draw and fire the one round. When the slide locks back, swap mags and fire another round or two.

I usually take 5 mags load 2 mags with 2 rounds, and 3 mags with 3 rounds and then mix them up a little so you never know if the mag in the gun has 2 rounds or three until the slide locks back. Try not to think about the weight of the mag when you pick it up.

The draw and first shot in a SD situation is the most important so I practice a lot of 1 shot quick draws with a cover garment. I'll load 10 rounds into a mag and quick draw and fire one shot into either an IDPA target of an 8" swinger.

After doing 2 mags I'll start double tapping for a mag load and then double taps on two targets.

This works pretty good for someone that's sent many rounds downrange and it helps to keep your skill level up with a minimal amount of ammo being fired.

I have a Ciener .22LR conversion kit for my G23 and I use it a lot for the one shot quick draw w/ a cover garment practice and for bull's eye practice. It's cheap and the draw, and trigger are the same as with the .40cal ammo.

Paul

Howdy,

This is actually a pretty good way to practice. I do basically the same thing.

Using my Glock 23 I'll load one round into the mag, chamber round, holster gun and with a random "beep" from my Pocket Pro timer, draw and fire the one round. When the slide locks back, swap mags and fire another round or two.

I usually take 5 mags load 2 mags with 2 rounds, and 3 mags with 3 rounds and then mix them up a little so you never know if the mag in the gun has 2 rounds or three until the slide locks back. Try not to think about the weight of the mag when you pick it up.

The draw and first shot in a SD situation is the most important so I practice a lot of 1 shot quick draws with a cover garment. I'll load 10 rounds into a mag and quick draw and fire one shot into either an IDPA target of an 8" swinger.

After doing 2 mags I'll start double tapping for a mag load and then double taps on two targets.

This works pretty good for someone that's sent many rounds downrange and it helps to keep your skill level up with a minimal amount of ammo being fired.

I have a Ciener .22LR conversion kit for my G23 and I use it a lot for the one shot quick draw w/ a cover garment practice and for bull's eye practice. It's cheap and the draw, and trigger are the same as with the .40cal ammo.

Paul

Paul, I actually like you your post.... what the hell is happening?

I found this on-line, but modified it to accommodate LC9 Mag Capacity.
-
Target used is the QIT-99 (FBI qual "go/no-go" silhouette)
Each round counts as one point
hits inside the target area count
draw from concealment for every string
Goal is 40 out of 50 or better.

Stage 1: 3 yard line - 12 rds
Two mags six rds each
3 rds 3 sec - strong hand only (twice) -reload-
3 rds - strong hand, 3 rds - support hand - 8 sec
Stage 2: 5 yard line - 12 rds
Two mags six rds each
3 rds 3 sec (4 times)
Stage 3: 7 yard line - 16 rds -
Two mags four rds each
4 rds 4 sec - reload - 4 rds 4 sec (twice)
Stage 4: 15 yard line - 10 Rds
one mag six rds, one mag four rds
3 rds 6 sec (twice)
4 rds 8 sec

The basic idea is to use the skills that need to be second nature, incorporate reloading etc. If it doesn't specify it is using both hands. One thing I do is insert a snap-cap randomly in the mags that aren't full capacity (blue ones) so you can deal with a mis-fire as well. You can arrange the math, method order etc, but the goal is to get as much live-fire training as possible with just one box of ammo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back