Life Without a "Stand Your Ground Law"

MilShooter

I ran across this cartoon while surfing the Interweb this morning. I thought you guys might also enjoy it as it succinctly points-out the merits of having a "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand Your Ground" law on the books. Of course, I think I already know that the members here stand firmly in support of self-defense as a basic human right, but there are some folks here that disagree with the premise of stand-your-ground because it allows a self-defense shooting anywhere and not just the home. (Whew! That was a long sentence!) When I physically reside in Delaware, I have the protection of neither. Yet when I return to my home in Florida, I am "covered" by both types of laws. Isn't it bizarre that my right to defend myself varies based upon my physical location?

I believe that, in addition to "National Reciprocity" for concealed carry, we should also be pushing for some standardized laws on self defense. I really don't know the laws in every state and I worry sometimes (while traveling) I might break some arcane provision of state or municipal law.

Anyway, here's the cartoon that got me going this morning:

Link Removed

Some strange man is KILLING the weeds in my lawn, as I write this... when will the horror of killing end?

MilShooter

I ran across this cartoon while surfing the Interweb this morning. I thought you guys might also enjoy it as it succinctly points-out the merits of having a "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand Your Ground" law on the books. Of course, I think I already know that the members here stand firmly in support of self-defense as a basic human right, but there are some folks here that disagree with the premise of stand-your-ground because it allows a self-defense shooting anywhere and not just the home. (Whew! That was a long sentence!) When I physically reside in Delaware, I have the protection of neither. Yet when I return to my home in Florida, I am "covered" by both types of laws. Isn't it bizarre that my right to defend myself varies based upon my physical location?

I believe that, in addition to "National Reciprocity" for concealed carry, we should also be pushing for some standardized laws on self defense. I really don't know the laws in every state and I worry sometimes (while traveling) I might break some arcane provision of state or municipal law.

Link Removed

Some strange man is KILLING the weeds in my lawn, as I write this... when will the horror of killing end?

MilShooter

I love this. It's so true. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Link Removed

MilShooter

I can't begin to imagine how dreadful it must feel to have to live in a state without either condition. Now that my residence is permanently in Paradise, I will never move to some place that that does not allow me those protections. (I assume there are strong reasons that require your presence in Delaware which could be called a "state of denial".)

Yes, we all need to do what we can to establish self-defense laws that are consistent throughout the Country.

I can't begin to imagine how dreadful it must feel to have to live in a state without either condition. Now that my residence is permanently in Paradise, I will never move to some place that that does not allow me those protections. (I assume there are strong reasons that require your presence in Delaware which could be called a "state of denial".)

Yes, we all need to do what we can to establish self-defense laws that are consistent throughout the Country.

Unfortunately, I have family responsibilities that require my presence in Delaware. Plus, I have some medical problems that stem from a freak accident about 1 1/2 years ago and the local Delaware surgeons are still working on me. So I find myself spending too much time here.

Believe it or not, Delaware requires that you publish your intention to get a concealed carry license in a newspaper and further, requires that you get statements from 5 individuals who live nearby to attest to your need for a concealed carry permit. In Florida, those records are private for a very good reason; we don't want others to know about it. In Delaware, once you post the advertisement (legal notice in the newspaper), all of the criminals who can actually read then know who owns a gun.

I've spoken with the Office of the Attorney General regarding my requirement, under Delaware law, to retreat. Because of the accident mentioned above, I am on oxygen 24 hours a day. I can't run anywhere and can't walk too far either. I asked them how the law would expect me to retreat. While they were reluctant to admit it, my disability would be an affirmative defense in the event I was forced to shoot someone in self defense. They would not commit their opinion to writing however.

I yearn for my Florida home and the state's reasonable laws concerning firearms. I just don't understand why we can't open-carry in Florida.

MilShooter

Life Without a "Stand Your Ground Law"???

Would mean Life living on your knees.

As I explain my right to protect myself to the Libs on occasion which usually is a 20 minute dissertation. I close with; I don't want the last thing going through your mind as you're about to die or be raped is THAT GUY WAS RIGHT, WE SHOULD OF BOUGHT A GUN TO PROTECT OURSELVES. Hopefully, I've converted some.

Break in my house and you will not need to worry about rehab, goverment support check, unemployment check, having a green card, being liberal, future court dates, how much you owe your dealer....I will solve all your problems.....

You will not have a care in the world when we are finished!

I'm old enough to not have much concern that"I failed to retreat" although it could come into play if I'm attacked by someone in a wheel chair. I can easily play the diminished mobility due to age/infirmity.
I can also see the impact of a stand your ground law in certain circumstances where simply retreating into a more secure location would suffice. What I don't understand is WHY those laws are required. If I'm legally occupying some random spot and am attacked/threatened, why should I be expected to run away. As far as I'm concerned, it should be common sense to face the problem and deal with it. It seems some of the politicians understand this while some are more concerned that too many of their constituents may get put in their place by legally armed citizens who no longer fear legal action because they didn't try hard enough to run before resorting to lethal force.

NY has a requirement that one attempt to retreat, if they can do so with complete safety, before standing their ground. The key word is "attempt." This doesn't apply to those with some infirmity, disability, elderly, toting kids, etc. In such cases there is no requirement to retreat. One must only make an attempt to retreat if suh is possible. Considering most attacks happen very quickly at very close distance there is often no time to asses the situation let alone retreat. One may stand their ground in such a situation. If an assailant continues to pursue someone who attempted to retreat he may now stand his/her ground as well. There is no duty to retreat within the home and deadly force may be used to thwart a burglary.

My recommndation is always to retreat if possible. I ask students, "do you have a good plan for bad people?" Personal protction starts with awareness, avoidance, deterrence, de-escalation and retreat as a behavioral model. The aftermath of a defensive shooting can be financially devastating, even if the shooter is 100% correct.

Break in my house and you will not need to worry about rehab, goverment support check, unemployment check, having a green card, being liberal, future court dates, how much you owe your dealer....I will solve all your problems.....

You will not have a care in the world when we are finished!

I agree with this 100%.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back