License to carry questions

Patrick Garrity

What do I list as a reason on my Massachusetts application for a license to carry? It says it could be one of three reasons. Carrying large amounts of cash, threats against your life, or a dangerous profession. I do not fall in any of those categories. I do have a clean background. Just don't know what to list as a reason except that I have a right under the constitution of the United States of America. I have heard that the chief of police in my town is very very strict on permits. Can anyone help guide me???

All lawful purposes is the correct answer, but it is very important to find out what color your community is. Please look at NorthEast Shooters.com where you will find a listing in the forums showing how your community is rated. Green means LTC-A's w/o restrictions are issued, Red if for very difficult to obtain unrestricted (no CCW), Black means almost impossible to obtain a LTC-A, and Blue = still waiting feedback Orange = conflicting info/experiences. Do your homework and be abdolutely truthful!! Your first application can haunt you for life. Even if you never move, a new Police Chief or licensing officer can cause legal problems to deny you your rights. You may need to seek a firearms atty who specializes in LTC applications because some towns ask for more than the what the law states. Good luck my friend.

What do I list as a reason on my Massachusetts application for a license to carry? It says it could be one of three reasons. Carrying large amounts of cash, threats against your life, or a dangerous profession. I do not fall in any of those categories. I do have a clean background. Just don't know what to list as a reason except that I have a right under the constitution of the United States of America. I have heard that the chief of police in my town is very very strict on permits. Can anyone help guide me???

The from itself after this particular question gives you three blank lines to give your answer. I echo what the other posters answered. Don't offer extra information, but still answer the question.

We have a similar problem in some counties in NY. I've had mine so long, I don't remember exactly what I stated on my application, but more recently I had a friend apply and receive his unrestricted permit. He stated he was a law abiding citizen, with no arrests or convictions. He also stated that he goes to auctions in various areas of the county and in the City of Buffalo, and while there has cash on his person. He was approved on his first go-round.

I guess if you recite the 2nd Amendment they will first laugh, then stamp the word TERRORIST on your Application. G-d BLESS TEXAS, all they ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime !

First thing I would do is move out of commie Mass. into a more firearm friendly state but in all seriousness I would do as others suggest "All lawful purposes" or "personal protection".

Amazing. Living in VT and sharing a border with Mass, it's like night and day. I carry all the time in VT, many people do. But if I so much as cross the change in pavement line, common between states, I am automatically in jail for a minimum of 1 year. But if I'm with a teenage secretary and drive off a bridge and then leave her to drown, I get elected to the senate for life. Is there something wrong with this picture??

Mass application

If it is your first application - perhaps best to talk to a lawyer who specializes in Mass firearms law and permit applications.

You can find a list of them on the Fours Seasons (firearms store in Woburn) web site.

Different town police departments have different philosophies - sometimes taking several safety courses and range membership helps them see you as a responsible person. What is important is not exactly what the law says is a minimum, but their (police) perception. Lawyers who have dealt with the process will be familiar with this.

I generally try to take one or more safety/training courses between renewal applications and attach the letter of attendance to the renewal application, along with proof of range membership. Here's why - the remark made by the detective at a renewal: "I wish everyone took it this seriously."

Massachusetts firearms laws are very complex - suggest you get this book for $45 (also in CD ROM format) -

The Law Enforcement Guide To Firearms Law (22 ed) by Chief Ronald C. Glidden covers all aspects of Massachusetts firearms law. In addition to Massachusetts and federal firearms statutes, the manual also includes firearms related CMRs, tables, forms, articles and notes from the author to help officers involved in either firearms licensing or enforcement to better understand our complicated firearm laws. This manual has become the leading source of firearms legal information for Massachusetts law enforcement. Link Removed

Another source is GOAL (Northboro) and their webpage section on Mass law and they also offer a course on Mass Law and concealed carry.

Mass Firearms School in Holliston has no less than three separate classes on concealed carry, and also this one:

Mass Law: Beyond the Basics with Attorney Trask is a four hour class that will take you beyond what you learned in your basic class, giving you the information you need to stay out of trouble in the Commonwealth.
Learn how the law is applied in the Commonwealth concerning such matters as:
Places you cannot go with a firearm
How to store your firearm without going to jail
What happens if your concealed firearm becomes visible to others
What mistakes will cause you to lose your license
What most people do not understand about the Mass Assault Weapons Ban...and why they risk going to jail
Understanding the basics of self-defense law in Mass
And many more...
Attorney Matthew Trask is an experienced Massachusetts criminal attorney specializing in firearms law.

Whatever you do - do not depend on anecdotal advice when it comes to firearms in Massachusetts - and that includes what the police tell you. Only use source material (Mass law.)

I am not affiliated with any of the above-mentioned resources (well, GOAL member) - just happen to know about them.

Good Luck - and do your permit homework.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back