LEO question

teds

Also friend and I were discussing the procedure for a traffic stop. We both just finished up our Ohio required course and we are both scheduled to submit our paperwork to the Sherrif. Our course instructor was a current LEO and his staff was too. They said the typical stuff; radio off, cab lights on, window down, stay in the vehicle, no movement, both hands on the wheel, and as soon as the officer is within ear shot tell him/her that you are a licensed to carry a weapon and that you are (or not) carrying a weapon at this time. All of this to put the officer at some ease. Perfect advice of you ask me. Anyway my friend has a theory that the police are not too fond of the CCW law. He thinks the police would like nobody but them carrying a weapon. In a perfect world, I agree. But it's not as we are all aware. My theory is the police are happy there are educated people carrying responsibly. Does anyone know for a fact?

I think you both are right. Some leo's are for it, and I think a ton of cops think they should be the only carrying

But I also think that there are many cops that are educating themselves on this and are coming around typo be more supportive on it.

My theory is the police are happy there are educated people carrying responsibly. Does anyone know for a fact?

Let's say the population of America is P. Let's say that the percentage of the population of America that are law enforcement officers is L. Let's say that the percentage of the population of America that is anti-gun is A. Then it would stand to reason that the number of law enforcement officers who are anti-gun would be P * L * A.

Cops are people. There are probably not much more or less of a percentage of them that don't want you to carry a gun any more than a random sample of the American population.

But I also think that there are many cops that are educating themselves on this and are coming around typo be more supportive on it.

Which s exactly what we should be attempting to do with the American public as well.

Oh Boy, this thread is dangerously close to starting the OC v. CC and Do Tell v. Don't Tell discussion already...

Oh Boy, this thread is dangerously close to starting the OC v. CC and Do Tell v. Don't Tell discussion already...

Heh, heh...

you are a licensed to carry a weapon and that you are (or not) carrying a weapon at this time.

I agree with the percentage explanation....there are cops for and against just like there are non-cops for and against. It's really just the luck of the draw which one you get at any particular stop.

well if the cops would do a better job of going to the known places and stop criminal activity, getting guns out of the hands of bad guys. The court system to levy extreme punishments for criminals that use firearms.
And just so you know most LEOs think they are better than you. Above the law and all. You are NOT worthy of carrying a gun.
Taking a CCW class from a cop is like having a Democrat teaching you how to be a Republican.

In spite of what the anti-LEO crowd says here, you can no more make a generalization about LEOs in general than you can about the population as a whole.

In general, the percentage of cops that object to people carrying is, if anything, a little lower than that of the general population. Obviously, more are going to react in an area where fewer of the people carry guns...you are not going to find the same percentages in Los Angeles, NYC or Chicago as you do where I live in the mountains of S. Oregon.

With regard to your instructor's advice, he knows the local police better than I do, but my experience has been that the time to inform is when the officer asks for your license, registration and insurance card. "Certainly, officer, but first I need to tell you I have a permit to carry and my weapon is on my right hip...just so there are no misunderstandings" is a fine way to inform him or her. "I've got a gun"...not so much.

Ohio requires you to inform immediately obey your state and local laws.

Beyond that, this horse is dead you may stop beating it now.

Ohio requires you to inform immediately obey your state and local laws.

Beyond that, this horse is dead you may stop beating it now.

Why is it assumed that because YOU are through with the subject and YOU are tired of the argument, that everyone else should be also?

The OP has been here since Sept. And has made one post!

Do you feel this site is all about you? Guess what?

We're not all like this Teds, feel free to post as you wish, within the rules of course.

KK

Welcome to the forum, teds!

Well, we know for a fact that the Canton OH police don't favor concealed carry...

well if the cops would do a better job of going to the known places and stop criminal activity, getting guns out of the hands of bad guys. The court system to levy extreme punishments for criminals that use firearms.
And just so you know most LEOs think they are better than you. Above the law and all. You are NOT worthy of carrying a gun.
Taking a CCW class from a cop is like having a Democrat teaching you how to be a Republican.

So you come to the conclusion that LEOs think that they are better than you. Above the law and all.

Strange you have never met me but somehow know me better than I know myself.

Canton was bad for many reasons. I think our attitude will dictate how any of the leo 's react to these laws.

So you come to the conclusion that LEOs think that they are better than you. Above the law and all.

Could not of said it better myself Austin !!!!

Nope but YouTube is loaded with vids on how Oklahoma police treat citizens and EMT's like Maurice White.
Link Removed
Want more.
You should read better Inspector Gadget. I said MOST. Not ALL or Austin. Most of the LEOs I personally know feel and act as I stated.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Please accept my apologies. And NO I will NOT be going to Oklahoma EVER.

P*L*A PLUS a "number of times you expect to be stopped in a given time period". (In my particular case, four times in nearly fifty years of driving.)

Of those four, two were for speeding (not reckless excess you understand) and two for seat belt violations. (Said "LAW" sticks in my craw anyway.)

Of the four, only one was I required by law to "warn" I was carrying.... the most recent.

The LEO did NOT "hassle" me, but he DID "call for back up" to handle "a gun situation" (as he termed it), the putz. So while the stopping officer ran my credentials, the "back up officer" and myself stood around chit chatting about guns in general.... His Glock (which he didn't like) and my Beretta.... and other stuff.

Lesson: The "let them know" requirement at routine (for them) stops strikes me as being a bit overzealous and apparently does NOT set an LEO, necessarily, "at ease". In fact, from my singular experience in the situation, seems to disturb them. (At least the one I got through luck of the draw.)

GG

As stated before in Texas if you are carrying you must inform, don't like it but it is the law, cc license is connected to your drivers license and they will know if you have a license to carry, has not been an issue in the stops I have had including Border Patrol checkpoints. Usully wind up discussing guns and carry and feel cc license has stopped speeding tickets or reduced same to warning only.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back