le ammo only

robert graham

a friend of mine told me he had bought a box of law enforcement ammuntion. tactical 147 grain.if he ever used that against bg could he get into trouble for buying something that i think is not sold to general public? in other words could the table be turned against him? is he allowed to buy and use that le only ammo or is their actually a law against the use of it by him?

good question. Winchester Ranger LE ammo is as good as it gets. For my understanding, even though it is packaged as "LE only", it is Winchester that has marketed it as such not any law. I am not aware of any hand gun ammo that is "illegal" other than like teflon coated stuff.
Link Removed

loard have mercy... really

There is nothing wrong with having it. Armor piercing ammo in a pistol is what is illegal.

What ever this teflon stuff is... is horse *****

The LE ammo is usually a contract over run.

There is nothing wrong with having it. Armor piercing ammo in a pistol is what is illegal.

What ever this teflon stuff is... is horse *****

The LE ammo is usually a contract over run.

wow, only 5 post and you're allready getting short with us over a question? Your "loard have mercy... really" thread title is a nice touch. I take it you're some "gun pro" kicked off every other site you been on.

This site sure has got a lot of trolls lately. I thought we were here to learn and teach, not bash someone for trying to help someone else. Dude, try decaf

The issue is with those who post without having any idea as to where the info they "heard" is from.

The ppl who say... I don't know about your state but here..."

I agree that ppl are here to learn. I have seen too many ppl that should have never opened their browser offering sudo-legal answers to questions that should be answered by someone that is sure of the answer and not just on what they heard from some Guy who made a convincing arguement.

I watched another forum where a Guy went on and on about his experiencs and opinions and then let it slip about how excited he was to finally be able to buy a gun cause he was now 21.

LE marketed ammunition is perfectly legal for civilian use - unless you live in a communist state like New Jersey. :biggrin:

Austin:207335 said:
This site sure has got a lot of trolls lately. I thought we were here to learn and teach, not bash someone for trying to help someone else. Dude, try decaf
+1 decaf or maybe some Exlax...

if you can get it commercially

Other than state specific rules, don't use ammo that you bought out of state because you can't legally buy it in your home state. Also a hot hand load could jam you up. As a generality any ammo purchased legally in your state whether or not it has Law or extreme on the label is a legit choice for your sidearm.

"Law Enforcement Only" Ammo from my experience as a LEO is that it is usually just ammo that is made specifically for a dept and usually has a bigger punch than range or self defense ammo and is mostly JHP. For example, Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +P JHP which NYPD uses and most civilians here that carry (yes there are carry permits issued in NYC but you do have a better chance of winning lotto) have this ammo in their carry guns. But my suggestion is if you have never shot the type of ammo you have bought or is buying, get a couple more boxes and practice with it so that when the time comes you may need to use it you will know how it will recoil and it wont be a surprise. And check with your local law in regards to using Hollow points.
P.S. +P rounds if you have never shot it before do pack a little extra punch if your not familiar with them especially if your using a polymer frame gun (ex: Glock, S&W M&P, etc)

I have seen that brand of ammo for sale a few times, it's primarily marketed towards LE but it's not illegal for civilians per se. It's just hard to find. 147gr can also be had if you go looking hard enough, again mostly aimed for LE since you hardly need that sort of weight for target shooting.

Winchester Ranger 40 cal Ammo | 50 Rounds of 165 Grain JHP 40 cal Ammunition from Winchester | Ammo.net
http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/LE/HANDGUN-AMMUNITION/Pages/default.aspx

I don't see anything there that says you should not be able to buy this?

As was mentioned before if JHP are a no go in your state that still applies, of course.

Ammo to go sells Federal LE tactical HST and Speer Gold Dots to anyone who has the money. You can buy Federal Tactical LE 00 buck as well. No problem. I think you'd be in better shape legally if you use what your local cops use.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back