LC380 vs. LCP

jcreek

What's the difference? I've only seen pictures of the two and they look pretty darn similar but I've heard they handle quite differently. What's the difference between the two?

lc380 is slightly larger and has a 1 shot higher capacity. also almost twice as heavy. would account for the different feel and recoil.

Lc380 is same size and system of the lc9. The lc9 is a piece of garbage. Both my friends hates theirs. Go with the Lcp .380 it is actually a pocket pistol and I trust my life to it

The 380 has a real safety the LCP doesn't. As stated the LC380 is the same size as the LC9. All three guns (LCP, LC9, LC380) are DAO with a long trigger pull.
The LCP has more kick. My guess would be the LC380 is targetted for the female shooters, or to compete with the Bersa Thunder.
There is a trigger kit for all three guns making them easier to live with. I like my LCP and LC9, the LCP is my light clothes carry.

I really, really like my LC-9, with the sole exception of the long DA stroke. Garbage is in the hand of the beholder/behandler. Please check both hands.

I like my LC9 as well the more I shoot it. yeh you have to get used to it but it is a very well made gun and far from garbage. JMO.

I really, really like my LC-9, with the sole exception of the long DA stroke. Garbage is in the hand of the beholder/behandler. Please check both hands.

Haha I agree, I bought an LC9 with the Galloway trigger kit for my girlfriend in January and we both really like it. There is still something to be desired in the trigger but overall I enjoy it. As for the 380s I was just curious because I haven't handled either just seen pictures. I probably wont get one as I've never trusted or liked the .380acp. Just not enough gun for me.

I believe the LC380 has a last shot hold open, whereas the LCP does not. The LC380 has a manual safety, the LCP does not. The LC380 will not fire a chambered round if the mag is not in place, the LCP will. The LC380 is a physically larger gun over the LCP and heavier than the LCP, lending itself for better handling over the LCP for those who may have physical limitations.

got all three

For me, the LCP is such a great pocket gun that I go to it most often. I wish the gun locked back at the last shot. The LC9 had a bad trigger but the trigger job made it just fine with less travel and plenty of crisp release. I just got the LC380 and it is identical too the LC9 but with less recoil. Not sure if I will get a trigger job on that one.

As for the 380s I was just curious because I haven't handled either just seen pictures. I probably wont get one as I've never trusted or liked the .380acp. Just not enough gun for me.

I used to feel the same way until I fired my friends Ruger LCP.....
I now own one and carry it whenever I do not feel like lugging my Glock 27 around.
I'm very confident that one or two well placed shots from my little LCP will get the job done if ever needed.

No question the little Rugers are popular, but I always recommend looking at the S&W 38+P J-frame snubbies - .38+P over a .380 is a no-brainer and reliability, grip comfort, safety, and ease of use of a J-frame over those LCPs is unquestionable.

No question the little Rugers are popular, but I always recommend looking at the S&W 38+P J-frame snubbies - .38+P over a .380 is a no-brainer and reliability, grip comfort, safety, and ease of use of a J-frame over those LCPs is unquestionable.

+1 I carry a J-frame as a back up only mines a .357.

The LCP is great when nothing else will work but for me in warm weather i like the LC9 it is much more comfortable to shoot, holds 1 more round of the more powerful 9 mm ammo, locks slid after last round and has much better sights. I removed the magazine disconnect safety long ago. The LCP and LC9 have always been completely reliable with any type of ammo and are both quite accurate. The LC380 is identical to LC9 and is marketed for people who want less recoil and for people who have trouble racking the slide on the LC9, i am planning on the LC380 for the wife and daughter as they have a hard time with the slide on my LC9, it is between that and the LCR revolver they both like the LCR.

I believe the LC380 has a last shot hold open, whereas the LCP does not. The LC380 has a manual safety, the LCP does not. The LC380 will not fire a chambered round if the mag is not in place, the LCP will. The LC380 is a physically larger gun over the LCP and heavier than the LCP, lending itself for better handling over the LCP for those who may have physical limitations.

Pretty well covered all the difference bases in this excellent reply...I still rely on my LCP, but would love to shoot, see, feel the LC380...

for me, the lcp is such a great pocket gun that i go to it most often. I wish the gun locked back at the last shot. The lc9 had a bad trigger but the trigger job made it just fine with less travel and plenty of crisp release. I just got the lc380 and it is identical too the lc9 but with less recoil. Not sure if i will get a trigger job on that one.

.........the lcp is little till you shoot it big,,,,have my ccw class.. And i have each one of students shoot this gun 2 times,,just so they know how it fills,,,dead on toooooooooooooooo

Wife is 62 and has arthritis in both hands. She cannot operate the slide of the Taurus TCP 380 I bought her but the LC380 is no problem. She also can't handle the recoil of an LC9 size gun (my Taurus PT709). Took her to the range last Monday and she tried all 3 of these guns, but fell in love with the LC380. Mission accomplished. She now has a gun she feels comfortable with and can handle so now she'll carry it.

P.S. Bought the LC380 two weeks ago and ordered 2 spare mags the same day. Got them on Friday.

I'll admit that the long trigger pull took getting used to. That said, after a few hundred rounds I wouldn't have it any other way for a CC weapon (it's like an extra safety). Dead-on-balls accurate, light and thin for CC, and 9mm is IMHO the best ammo you can get when comparing cost/availability/stopping power. The LC380 is just a LC9 chambered for the 380. The difference between the LCP and the LC9/380 is progress...

This is from 15yds and I'm not the best marksman.

Link Removed
And trust me, it looked like I was shooting buckshot from a crooked gun when I first got it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back