Kids and firearms education

Hipdad503

I have a toddler, she will be 4 in December. She's to that age where she's curious and always asking questions. There has been a couple times when she walks into the room and I'm putting on my firearm as the family gets ready to head out. The other day she seen me pull it from the safe and asked "Dad, what's that?" I didn't really know how to answer that and was caught off guard a little. Is she too little to explain what it is, what age do you educate or introduce firearms to your children? Did i male the miatake of letting her see it? I grew up without a Dad and definitely without guns in the home, so this is a bit new to me.

I grew up without a dad in the home also, but my mom and granny were never bugged by my interest in guns and/or knives. They found ways to have men in my life (YMCA, Big Brothers, DeMolay etc.) who taught me about guns and hunting (not much handgun experience at that time) starting around 7 or 8 I guess. I got my first .22 rifle at age 9.

My only sister was never interested in guns, so I can't really speak from the female child's perspective, but what little I know about raising kids tells me that honesty is always the best policy. There's not a lot you can do to prevent a slip of the tongue at inopportune times by someone that young I don't imagine, but if you're committed to keep on carrying no matter what, your daughter should have the gun de-mystified for her. I don't see how knowledge could hurt her. Play your cards right and you could have the newest Anna Upchurch on your hands in a few short years.

Blues

Great video with the cartoon characters. Kept my daughters attention the entire time! Thank you. Any other feedback is appreciated.

I grew up without a dad in the home also, but my mom and granny were never bugged by my interest in guns and/or knives. They found ways to have men in my life (YMCA, Big Brothers, DeMolay etc.) who taught me about guns and hunting (not much handgun experience at that time) starting around 7 or 8 I guess. I got my first .22 rifle at age 9.

My only sister was never interested in guns, so I can't really speak from the female child's perspective, but what little I know about raising kids tells me that honesty is always the best policy. There's not a lot you can do to prevent a slip of the tongue at inopportune times by someone that young I don't imagine, but if you're committed to keep on carrying no matter what, your daughter should have the gun de-mystified for her. I don't see how knowledge could hurt her. Play your cards right and you could have the newest Anna Upchurch on your hands in a few short years.

Blues

My kid is still on the way so I'm not much help, but this is the part that worries me. Getting outed by your child is a very real possibility.

My kid is still on the way so I'm not much help, but this is the part that worries me. Getting outed by your child is a very real possibility.

Seems pretty much like anything else that kids see or hear their parents do or say that could put the parents on the spot at inopportune times. Just gotta deal with it best you can in the moment, whatever that might mean to any given parent in any given situation, whether related to firearms or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back