Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again

Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again

By Joel Gehrke

Justice Antonin Scalia predicts that the Supreme Court will eventually authorize another wartime abuse of civil rights such as the internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"You are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again," Scalia told the University of Hawaii law school while discussing Korematsu v. United States, the ruling in which the court gave its imprimatur to the internment camps.

The local Associated Press report quotes Scalia as using a Latin phrase that means "in times of war, the laws fall silent," to explain why the court erred in that decision and will do so again.

"That's what was going on — the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot," Scalia said. "That's what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again, in time of war. It's no justification but it is the reality."

The late U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, who was Japanese-American, was not among those sent to the camps but was declared an "enemy alien." When he got the chance to fight for his country in World War II, he jumped at it, eventually earning a Medal of Honor for "conspicuous gallantry" near San Terenzo, Italy, in 1945. "I was angered to realize that my government thought that I was disloyal and part of the enemy, and I wanted to be able to demonstrate not only to my government but to my neighbors that I was a good American," Inouye told Ken Burns in "The War," as quoted by Reuters.

Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again | WashingtonExaminer.com

Note: I guess those FEMA camps doesn’t sound so farfetched now do they?

I don't find it that disturbing, in fact, I think it's a good thing that he said it aloud. Perhaps, this will be something that rings in the ears of some who have up until now, been ignorant to the future we're going to find ourselves in once again. Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday. Terrible things aren't always a generation away, much like the continual struggle for true, Individual Liberty. There will always be those who wish to control others, these are the ones who control corporations, governments, banks and/or resources. Evil is not reserved to the bottom of the barrel, the low-life, the scumbag gangster dealing on the corner. These aren't the tyrants, these aren't the one's to truly fear... It's the calm, cool and collected politician with the slight-of-hand governance that will be our undoing.

AmeriKa needs to wake herself up, she's falling into the abyss again... good people are going to suffer for the convenience of servitude once more. Comfort is not freedom, it's complacency and forgetfulness... it's the dulling of the blade, the fleeting adrenaline that kept us on our game and it's the death throes of Liberty. Despite what you're being told or what you may want to believe, what is will not always be... freedom isn't free... it doesn't cost the lives of our loved ones on some far-off battleground. War is when your government tells you who the enemy is, REVOLUTION is when you figure it out for yourself. Call me crazy, label me a loon... I don't care what you think. The generations that come after you and I might though, what do you think will be thought of you?

And it is also possible that the Pope is the only true spokesperson for Jesus Christ. Scalia thinks so. Do you believe him?

I'll be interned as a corpse. I will not submit. Semper Fidelis! Lock and load.

That would be the easy way out. Nelson Mandela did the opposite, and his countrymen and the world are better of for his sacrifice.

And it is also possible that the Pope is the only true spokesperson for Jesus Christ. Scalia thinks so. Do you believe him?
the article made no mention of the Pope or Jesus or any other religion. You are obviously confusing the issue and that is disconcerting.

I believe this to be a warning of what is to come if the government's checks and balances are not restored.

I take his point. But what do you all think about this? I think the people in the forties, ESPECIALLY the ones of Japanese descent, were very respectful and extremely rule-conscious, law abiding people/citizens. Probably not well-armed, but I've never read about that aspect.

I think that both sides would suffer a lot of casualties trying to round people up. Especially the people the feds seem to worry about the most.

Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again | WashingtonExaminer.com

Does this make you concerned about all of the reports and pictures of the various FEMA camps that have been talked about for the a while, and what about the massive escalation of foreign troops in our country, that could be used to confine citizens?

the article made no mention of the Pope or Jesus or any other religion. You are obviously confusing the issue and that is disconcerting.

You are correct if we separate the spokesperson from the words, but if one tries to give credibility to the words because of the speaker, then we do need to examine the speaker himself. If one believes what was said because Scalia said it, then it is fair game as to whether you believe other things Scalia said because he said them.

Of course there is no reason for concern. We all know the we are justified in having complete trust in the government. Just ask Native Americans how completely trustworthy our government is.

That would be the easy way out. Nelson Mandela did the opposite, and his countrymen and the world are better of for his sacrifice.
Yep, and Christ IS alive in you. Your above and that you deny. You're wrong on both accounts, JMHO. And God Bless!

Never mind the innocent people that died along Mandela's way to the top... :rolleyes: He's a sh!tty example of who to look up to, that is unless you're a black who hates whites.

Yep, and Christ IS alive in you. Your above and that you deny. You're wrong on both accounts, JMHO. And God Bless!

Don't you want to be with Jesus as soon a possible? Why would you do anything to delay the date you you'll be in everlasting total bliss with Jesus?

Carrying a weapon for self defense is an insult to Jesus. it's like saying "I believe in you Jesus, but I'd rather not be in everlasting happiness with you forever...just in case you don't exists."

As the saying goers, there are no true believers in foxholes because they are all praying not to be with their god.

You are correct if we separate the spokesperson from the words, but if one tries to give credibility to the words because of the speaker, then we do need to examine the speaker himself. If one believes what was said because Scalia said it, then it is fair game as to whether you believe other things Scalia said because he said them.

I don't think that anyone believes it simply b/c Scalia said it, rather b/c it has happened repeatedly throughout history across the globe to include here in AMERICA (y'know, the land of the free...) and there is NO reason why it wouldn't happen again. Especially during times of fear, war and political upheaval... The next few decades are going to be another pivotal point in which America decides where and who she wants to be. Every generation there is either precedent-setting legislation or Liberty robbing legislation, all in the name of "equality" or "equal rights" but, every so often people come to a crossroads in which neither side will give anymore. Historically, this is when violent conflict became the inevitable outcome... Again, there is no reason why AmeriKa would be any different. After all, we've already fought two wars on our soil over who and what we wanted to be as a people.

Knowing that Christ Jesus words (Signs of the End of the Age) declared that the RE-BIRTH of Israel as a nation (1948) would MARK THE BEGINNING of the Last Generation pertaining to life on Earth as we know it, and considering that we're already 65 years into this Last Generation, and believing Christ when He said that in the LAST 7 YEARS of this Last Generation..."There will be great suffering such as the world has never before seen and will never again see", time is extremely short for the fool. Justice Antonin Scalia is a very wise man indeed.

Knowing that Christ Jesus words (Signs of the End of the Age) declared that the RE-BIRTH of Israel as a nation (1948) would MARK THE BEGINNING of the Last Generation pertaining to life on Earth as we know it, and considering that we're already 65 years into this Last Generation, and believing Christ when He said that in the LAST 7 YEARS of this Last Generation..."There will be great suffering such as the world has never before seen and will never again see", time is extremely short for the fool. Justice Antonin Scalia is a very wise man indeed.

the problem is that the portion of the bible know as the new testament is not the word of the Lord nor the word of Jesus. It is satan's book. Amos811

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back