Just applied: NC

Thank you for amplifying my comment.

Background checks are instant these days and so are most health mental records. We should be getting permits handed to us the same day we apply.

Should for sure, and would be nice. But if you send in a paper application (which I believe is required for 100% of states that issue), somebody needs to type or scan that info into a computer. And if they have 90 days to do so, and no reward for doing it early...just sayin. :pleasantry:

The permit process (at least in Iredell County) was not a big deal...$5 per permit and a 15 minute wait for the paperwork. You can request several at one time...so don't wait for the CCL to purchase that handgun.

No experience with the NC "wait" process as I chose to go the FL route...primarily because I felt insulted by the need to attend a "mandated" course for my guaranteed 2nd Amendment right. Instead, the State of Florida accepted my Military DD214 as acceptable skills and qualification (being an old guy, my many annual qualifications were achieved with the good old M1911A!). Now before someone starts crying that I'm not knowledgeable with NC law, I also ordered (For about $12 total, I believe) the NC Qualification Course handbook and Instructor's Manual from the NC Dept of Justice. I took the written Knowledge test and passed 100%. As far as the range qualification, I have sufficient paper targets to satisfy accuracy requirements for anyone's benefit.

I had my FL CCW in my hands within 18 days. I will admit that the FL route does not allow me to carry in SC at present so I may still acquire a NC CCW in the future

The permit process (at least in Iredell County) was not a big deal...$5 per permit and a 15 minute wait for the paperwork. You can request several at one time...so don't wait for the CCL to purchase that handgun.

No experience with the NC "wait" process as I chose to go the FL route...primarily because I felt insulted by the need to attend a "mandated" course for my guaranteed 2nd Amendment right. Instead, the State of Florida accepted my Military DD214 as acceptable skills and qualification (being an old guy, my many annual qualifications were achieved with the good old M1911A!). Now before someone starts crying that I'm not knowledgeable with NC law, I also ordered (For about $12 total, I believe) the NC Qualification Course handbook and Instructor's Manual from the NC Dept of Justice. I took the written Knowledge test and passed 100%. As far as the range qualification, I have sufficient paper targets to satisfy accuracy requirements for anyone's benefit.

I had my FL CCW in my hands within 18 days. I will admit that the FL route does not allow me to carry in SC at present so I may still acquire a NC CCW in the future

I am interested in knowing the answer, did you see if your FL non res permit is good in NC as a resident of NC with out a NC carry permit? I know NC accepts FL non res but does it accept it from their own residents I guess would be a way to put it. I know for a fact GA and TN dont (those are the states I really study the law on) I also have heard others talking that most states are that way. I am not trying to be smart or say anything bad about the way you went about it but just want to make sure a veteran does not get screwed on a technicality.

76 days. well its saturday so i knew they wouldnt be calling me today.

Well you did say the person you spoke to said it would probably take 90 days, so why don't you relax, enjoy some football and wait 14 more days? You worry to much... :pleasantry:

Well you did say the person you spoke to said it would probably take 90 days, so why don't you relax, enjoy some football and wait 14 more days? You worry to much... :pleasantry:

well when i applied the lady told me most people get theres back in about 75 days. I called her 2 weeks ago and she said they are still waiting on my health records and it would be 90 days. BS.

76 days. well its saturday so i knew they wouldnt be calling me today.

WOW! And I thought VA was slow. 45 days is the max waiting time and they have to issue a CCW. I've been waiting 3 weeks tomorrow and have been passing the time on this site and getting a lot of info,and getting in some target practice.

:biggrin:

I am interested in knowing the answer, did you see if your FL non res permit is good in NC as a resident of NC with out a NC carry permit? I know NC accepts FL non res but does it accept it from their own residents I guess would be a way to put it. I know for a fact GA and TN dont (those are the states I really study the law on) I also have heard others talking that most states are that way. I am not trying to be smart or say anything bad about the way you went about it but just want to make sure a veteran does not get screwed on a technicality.

NC has reciprocity with FL and makes no distinction or reservation with regard to FL Nonresident permits. On the Dept of Justice website, it does indicate, however, that it will not recognize New Hampshire Nonresident permits. Here is the website link:

Link Removed

well, called her back today. She said my permit has been ordered from the state capital and will be in this friday. After that the sherrif will sign it next week and they will call me.

Well guys, the wait for my permit is drawing down finally. Next friday will be 89 days. NC law requires the permit to be issued within 90 days of application.

So that means i will have my permit sometime next week. Thank god. This has been one of the most painful waiting periods ever.

well, its the final week of waiting. this friday will be 89 days. If they dont call me by friday ill be making a trip over to the sherrifs office to remind them of the 90 law here in NC.

For your information Onslow Country is running at about 2 weeks or less if other counties are taking 90 days it sounds like a run around to me

Man, it's a 90-day permit. Why are you even thinking about it?

Christmas won't be here for another 52 days. Don't get mad. :biggrin:

well im calling them tomorrow to remind them about NC's 90 day law. Friday will be 89 days so they will have to fork it over on friday.

well im calling them tomorrow to remind them about NC's 90 day law. Friday will be 89 days so they will have to fork it over on friday.

In the Military I had three "Priority" folders on my desk marked "A", "B", "C". All in-coming paperwork went into folder "A". If I took more than three phonecalls about something in folder "A", I took it out and placed it in folder "B". Three more calls and it went into folder "C", three more and I put it in File 13. That file got immediate attention every evening when the trash was collected. Maybe your Sheriff was in my old unit, ya think? :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back