Just Applied For My North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit

Onslow county. I applied on Wednesday, told me come back on this Friday to pick up permit.

Just picked up my CHP!

So here is the rundown:
Applied: 2/8/12
Approved: 4/16/12
Picked up: 4/25/12

Now it was day 77 today and I decided to call and they had it ready. When I said I was calling to check on my permit, the lady asked if it had been 90 days. I told her I wasn't certain, but I thought it was close. She then checked for it. Now I can only assume that if I said it had not been 90 days, she would have told me to call back then. My advice would be to call at 60 days and once a week after that. I have been told Guilford County sits on them and then calls at day 90. It appears that is the case, otherwise I would have expected to have been called last week since my permit appears (judging by the expiration date of 4/15/17) to have been approved on 4/16.

Applied May 16th 2012, still don't have mine. I have called twice, each time feeling like i was bothering the lady answering the phone. The last time i called was about 3 days ago. It's been over 90 days now. I haven't heard of anyone taking this long to recieve a permit. Very Aggravated.

Applied May 16th 2012, still don't have mine. I have called twice, each time feeling like i was bothering the lady answering the phone. The last time i called was about 3 days ago. It's been over 90 days now. I haven't heard of anyone taking this long to recieve a permit. Very Aggravated.

Something is wrong in your situation, because they normally have them ready way before those 90 days. Check again with them and see if there is an issue. I would go there personally and check what is going on with the permit. I received my 3yrs ago and it took me only 41 days before I was called to pick it up.

Both times I've called the lady said not to call back, they would call me when it was ready. They keep saying they are waiting on the mental health record check to come back. Also it's not just me as my wife also applied the same day. It was the 9th of may, not the 16th. I also tried to find somewhere I could go get myself a copy oft mental health record or get a check on them to no avail. I guess my next course of action is to show my face at the sheriffs department and hope I get a different answer.

I just got my cc renewal. About a month before my license was to expire I called the Sheriffs office t o check on it. They said not to worry I would get an extension. I got my renewal about 3 weeks after my license expired. I had no problems but I was always very uneasy about the situation. I think my inital cc license took about 2months to get. Hope you get it quick. BobbyBiker

Both times I've called the lady said not to call back, they would call me when it was ready. They keep saying they are waiting on the mental health record check to come back. Also it's not just me as my wife also applied the same day. It was the 9th of may, not the 16th. I also tried to find somewhere I could go get myself a copy oft mental health record or get a check on them to no avail. I guess my next course of action is to show my face at the sheriffs department and hope I get a different answer.
The 45 day clock does not start until the application is complete, and that includes the mental health record check. There is nothing that can speed that check if the agencies in your area are slow. Under the old law the 90 days started when you turned in the application so while on the surface it appears the time limited is now smaller, as you have discovered it can be longer under the new law and often is in some areas.

The 45 day clock does not start until the application is complete, and that includes the mental health record check. There is nothing that can speed that check if the agencies in your area are slow. Under the old law the 90 days started when you turned in the application so while on the surface it appears the time limited is now smaller, as you have discovered it can be longer under the new law and often is in some areas.

I was told during the application that my permit would take longer than my wife's (she was also applying) because I am a Veteran, and one of the checks has to go to the VA Hospital, and they have a track record of being slow.

There is currently a bill in the NC legislature that would correct the problem by using the mental health records included in the federal background check system instead of the separate check system each individual sheriff uses. With a bit of luck (and some support from voters like you and me) House Bill 344 will pass.

I was told during the application that my permit would take longer than my wife's (she was also applying) because I am a Veteran, and one of the checks has to go to the VA Hospital, and they have a track record of being slow.

UPDATE:
Picked up my CHP today, 58 day after the application process was completed. Even though I was told mine might take longer due to the slow track record of the VA Hospital here, mine and my wife's were both ready today.

In Cleveland county I submitted my application on march 19th, picked it up on April 15th. When I submitted my application I was told 6 week minimum, but it took right at 4 weeks.

I want to apply for my CHP in N.C., I was raised there and my family still live there, so do they give to non-resident?

Cleveland county!! Woohoo! I wish I could've gotten mine there instead of waiting here in Cumberland county. Week number 4. Hopefully i'll get a letter in the mail next week. They said around 4 weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back