Just Applied For My North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit

nightster

Just got back from being fingerprinted for my CHP in Caldwell Co. NC. Now the waiting starts

Well at least your not in Mecklenburg seems like every other county is not too bad. I just picked up mine today finally 63 days later and the only reason I found out it was there was because I called and check on the status and she was like o its here I said thanks I wonder how long it sat there . Most likely not long though they take forever here in Charlotte. Hope it doesn't take to long for ya. But you know what after a few days I forgot about it and all of a sudden it was 2 months later and here it is.

Congrats on completing your class and qualification. Train, train, train, and then train some more! I recommend NRA Personal Protection Inside/Outside the home. Don't need to wait on your CCH for that. If you can only do one, take the outside the home. It's two days, versus one, and you shoot twice as much. Take both, if you can.

I keep reading about armed citizens doing extraordinary things. Know the law, maintain situational awareness, and have a blessed day!

Mecklenburg Co. takes forever to contact you

My permit was issued on July 7th of last year but I wasn't contacted till July 28th that is was there.

I'm in Buncombe county, I applied in January, counted down 90 days +. Got tired of waiting and on April 12th I called about it. The lady said "oh yea, it's ready come on and pick it up". The renewel date on it is Feb 28th, that's how long it sat up there. If I hadn't called I'd still be waiting.

Maybe instead of being a "shall issue" state, we should become a "shall issue and notify" state. :dance3:

Seriously, Wake County notified both my wife and myself. It takes very little time to pick up the phone and let someone know their permit is ready. Are they really that over worked? OTH, I don't have any figures, but I suspect the number of permit applications have gone way up. But then, so has revenue. You pays your money, you think the least they can do is call you. Our tax dollars not at work, I suppose.

I live above Wake Co in Granville, Co, and after applying for mine in late Feb, '10, it took 18 days before I recieved my phonecall to come pick mine up... I call that pretty darned good service!!! :biggrin:

I live above Wake Co in Granville, Co, and after applying for mine in late Feb, '10, it took 18 days before I recieved my phonecall to come pick mine up... I call that pretty darned good service!!! :biggrin:

Wow, that's fast! I wish I could go for that, too, I live in the same county but I can't get a NC permit because I am not a citizen. So I have to make do with my UT non res permit.

Congrats on completing your class and qualification. Train, train, train, and then train some more! I recommend NRA Personal Protection Inside/Outside the home. Don't need to wait on your CCH for that. If you can only do one, take the outside the home. It's two days, versus one, and you shoot twice as much. Take both, if you can.

I keep reading about armed citizens doing extraordinary things. Know the law, maintain situational awareness, and have a blessed day!
The NRA requires instructors for these courses ensure the student has ample shooting experience. There is also a pre-req order. The student is supposed to take NRA Basic Pistol followed by PPITH (or show exemplary shooting skills and safety) and then, if the instructor feels confident with the student's abilities, he may take PPOTH. When becoming an instructor this is emphasized heavily. An inexperienced shooter taking PPOTH is a very bad idea. The student must learn the fundamentals and proper shooting techniques first (stance, position, grip, trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture, follow-through). In PPOTH there is a significant amount of moving and shooting and even experienced shooters turn into chimps with oversized sneakers. There is a significant risk in allowing inexperienced shooters into an advanced class... to themselves, to the instructors and to the other students. That's why I require all assistant instructors wear kevlar vests. I once had a student with 29 years experience as an armed guard clip me with an ND during range exercises for PPITH. It happened so fast there was no way to grab the arm before the discharge occurred. No sir. Not allowing anyone to take PPOTH until they either have the pre-req credentials or pre-certify with me.

And for all the instructors on here... please consider a vest for live-fire exercises. Make sure you go home to your family at the end of the day. Even the most experienced shooter can screw up. You only get one chance at this.

I'm in Buncombe county, I applied in January, counted down 90 days +. Got tired of waiting and on April 12th I called about it. The lady said "oh yea, it's ready come on and pick it up". The renewel date on it is Feb 28th, that's how long it sat up there. If I hadn't called I'd still be waiting.
Renewal? What's up with that? So it's not really a shall issue state if they can refuse the renewal. If they aren't allowed to refuse it then why isn't the permit issued for life? I'm confused. NYS permits are issued for life.

Renewal? What's up with that? So it's not really a shall issue state if they can refuse the renewal. If they aren't allowed to refuse it then why isn't the permit issued for life? I'm confused. NYS permits are issued for life.

I'm not sure why the renewal requirement, except it's most likely a revenue source for the various counties. I don't have the numbers, but I'm sure it's a significant amount of revenue.

You're right on about the NRA classes and taking all available safety precautions, well said.

Be careful about going past 90 days. The state can make you reapply, repay all the fees and go through the waiting period once again. They did it to me. I already had a ccw from Utah so I told the man at the sheriffs dept. No Thank you and left.

I went on 8-23 to do my finger printing and paperwork with the sheriff. Anyone know the average time in Rowan county.

Cabarrus County

I applied for CCWP on Nov 30, 2011 and just got called to pick it up on Jan 10, 2012 so if my math is right that is 41 days for Cabarrus County to get the permit....

Ok.. This is so weird.. I applied for my permit on the 12th or 13th (I have not looked back at the paperwork)... and there were a couple strange calls on my cell last week.. so I finally had time to call them back.. yep it was the Sheriff's office... Permit was in.. went to get it and he renewal date was Dec 16, 2016... Now explain this to me... If I dropped it off on the 12th.. or 13th of December.. and it was issued with a renewal date of the 16th.. does that mean it got issues in 3 or 4 days from the application or that is just the date it was submitted?

Or was this just fast???

I'm in a rural county, but I understand only about 10% of the residents have the conceal carry permit.

I expected the number to be higher. It would be interesting to see some statistics for all of NC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back