Just a newbie?

Spearhead MP

Hello to all,
I recently purchased (for Christmas) 3 S&W semi pistols. I gave my children (adults with children) each a 9mm, a safe, and trigger lock(to keep my grandchildren safer), and I bought a .40 for myself. I then purchased a XD40 (for carry). I spent 3 years as a MP, and loved my 1911 (I used to shoot at all opportunities [FREE AMMO!!]). I have had a Ruger .357 revolver for years, but I just felt the "need" for a semi. Any suggestions for an appropriate carry holster for the XD?
I belong to other forums (VW/TDI/Audi) and I have found them invaluable for information and advice. I don't want to "learn the hard way" or "re-invent the wheel". I will appreciate any input on ammo, concealed carry, education, and safety, and for anything I haven't considered. Looking forward to a long relationship with all the members...thanks

IMHO, you came to the right place. I came to this forum with no experience, and after reading a lot, and asking a lot of basic questions, have learned very valuable information.
What I have learned about holsters is that everyone has their own preference, but have not heard a bad thing about Supertuck by Crossbreed with the Horse hide SuperTuck® Deluxe | CrossBreed® Holsters - SuperTuck® Deluxe
What I have learned about ammo is that there is a great site to find the cheapest at Ammo Seek 9mm luger ammo handgun 124 grains
So much still available here.
If you want to adopt another son, I would perfer a 9mm and case (lol)

don't know why the hyperlinks did not work, sorry

I carry a M&P 9c & a Walther P99.
I use a N82 Tactical & a Remora. Haven't tried the Crossbreed super tuck but it gets good reviews?

Having just purchased a Kholster IWB for my .40 Slim, I'm very pleased with it and I feel secure when carrying. And the price was right.

Spearhead MP,

I am also a newbie on this site. I have found some of the info here to be very good and some of the flame wars to be entertaining. Just like your choice of weapon, the "right" holster will be more about personal preference and usage than about someone else's idea of the best holster, but you should hear some sage advise here!

I carry now a Ruger SR.45 and have tried a few different holsters since I bought the Ruger in November, 2013. I picked the SR45 because I also enjoyed a 1911 for years and shot competition with one. I wanted the same punch but I wanted to carry something lighter and smaller. I am now wearing the Ruger in a WRB Xtra Mag (wrbsales.com) that I picked up at a gun shop in Texas. WRB is made in Gun Barrel City, Tx, so they may not be sold up in your cold, cold land. But you can check out their web site. I paid about the same in the gun shop as their price listed on the web site.

I like the holster because it is lightweight nylon but also very stiff, the metal waist clip is strong and well secured, the retainer strap is adjustable (easy to position snap for fast release and easy re-snap) and the extra mag pocket is very secure. The only down side (not a big concern for me) is that the extra mag pocket is VERY secure - as in 4 inches of 3/4 inch wide Velcro on the strap AND pocket . If you want access to that 2nd mag in a big hurry this holster will need to be modified.

I was looking for a single holster I could clip inside my waistband at the small of my back and on the belt at my hip. This holster does both adequately, though it is a little loose on my hip since it has only one attachment point (either the clip - wobbly - or belt loop -up to 2" belt). Draw is easy and the holster is firm enough to make returning the weapon easy.

Enjoy your S&W .40. You picked a very nice weapon!

Hello to all,
I recently purchased (for Christmas) 3 S&W semi pistols. I gave my children (adults with children) each a 9mm, a safe, and trigger lock(to keep my grandchildren safer), and I bought a .40 for myself. I then purchased a XD40 (for carry). I spent 3 years as a MP, and loved my 1911 (I used to shoot at all opportunities [FREE AMMO!!]). I have had a Ruger .357 revolver for years, but I just felt the "need" for a semi. Any suggestions for an appropriate carry holster for the XD?
I belong to other forums (VW/TDI/Audi) and I have found them invaluable for information and advice. I don't want to "learn the hard way" or "re-invent the wheel". I will appreciate any input on ammo, concealed carry, education, and safety, and for anything I haven't considered. Looking forward to a long relationship with all the members...thanks

You are a great parent... And welcome to the forum.

Any suggestions for an appropriate carry holster for the XD?

Welcome!
What XD 40 did you get? XD 9 Subcompact here and love it. Are you looking to carry in or outside the waistband? For OWB I love my Blackhawk! Pancake leather holster, really well put together an it looks phenomenal.

My biggest question for you Spearhead, are whether your children are properly trained? You obviously are from your background.

It would be wise for them to take home defense courses through the NRA that deal with how to protect a family with an intruder in the house.

Having a firearm is a good step, and one that I wished my father had done for me (smile), but knowing how to use it properly in a defense situation is just as important.

A hearty welcome to the forum.

This past weekend we ALL took the handgun safety class. I know it is just the basics, but I plan to take the next with further defensive training and awareness. I actua found a N82 IWB holster used (but not very used) for half the price of new, including shipping. I have applied for my carry permit but haven't heard back yet (takes 4-6 weeks in Maine). Looking forward to warmer weather and getting used to the XD40 and P94. Thanks for all of the replies and advice.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back