It’s Time to Let Military Members Carry Firearms on US Soil

opsspec1991

It’s Time to Let Military Members Carry Firearms on US Soil

By Dan Cannon

Today’s attacks in Chattanooga, TN represent the latest attack on our nation’s military members on US soil.

Currently, regulations prevent most military members (with the exception of some law enforcement and security personnel) from carrying side arms on duty and on base in the US.

This policy combined with the fact that the Islamic State (aka ISIS/ISIL) has called for their supporters in the US to carry out attacks have made members of our military sitting ducks as they do their day to day jobs.

Traditional US military culture along with DoD regulations are to blame for the problem. Following the Civil War, it has rarely been standard practice for US troops to be armed while on US soil on a day to day basis. In many ways, this makes sense. We have never had to face a guerrilla warfare siege in the mainland United States. However, that is exactly what we are facing now. DoD and Army regulations also govern the possession of firearms on military bases.

Read more: Link Removed

My Thoughts:
Considering that military members and their families are being been targeted by ISIS sympathizers I feel it's an injustice to not allow them to be able to carry a weapon. Where I live, the nearest military base doesn't issue military base stickers anymore because they don't want the cars of active duty or retired military members to be able to be identified.

Immediately after the Ft. Hood shootings, this same subject was raised and nothing was done then, and I doubt that there will be anything done this time. I started with the military over 60 years ago and no one was authorized to carry on post. It just wasn't done but I can't ever remember incidents like FT. Hood ever happening then either. Things have changed significantly over the years but those same restrictions still apply. Recently a general officer was assaulted at the local post. His assailants were captured and one of their charges was bringing a weapon on to a federal facility. I don't think that incident helped change attitudes but does definitely show that being able to legally carry there would be nice. I have to go to the local post for hospital appointments and must leave my weapon at home rather than risk raising the ire of the military. It is an uncomfortable feeling being without it but there is no choice in the matter. I would be all for carrying there but, regardless, I don't look for it to happen in my lifetime. Oddly, as of the time I checked the poll numbers, only 522 people had signed the petition of the nearly 100,000 signatures needed. Doesn't seem like many people are interested.

From Link Removed:

"I think we have to be careful about over-arming ourselves, and I'm not talking about where you end up attacking each other," Odierno said during a morning breakfast. Instead, he said, it's more about "accidental discharges and everything else that goes along with having weapons that are loaded that causes injuries."

I am simply speechless.

First thoughts...

I think the best you'll get is to allow the commanding officers make the call for their specific commands. I also think, we ought to proceed cautiously with it... even if we could pull it off. There are a lot of young hot heads in the various services... There is a lot of drinking too. Recruiters are generally more seasoned, and have been increasingly targeted. They are soft targets. Bases are guarded, and far harder to strike. I'd say arm the recruiters for sure, and study the military at large before making that other call.

Sorry, y'all, but it "ain't" gonna happen as long as the left is in power in this country.
That includes all the "Rino's" in the congress.

It is up to all of us civilians who have CCW licenses to protect the military. Go Figure.

First thoughts...

I think the best you'll get is to allow the commanding officers make the call for their specific commands. I also think, we ought to proceed cautiously with it... even if we could pull it off. There are a lot of young hot heads in the various services... There is a lot of drinking too. Recruiters are generally more seasoned, and have been increasingly targeted. They are soft targets. Bases are guarded, and far harder to strike. I'd say arm the recruiters for sure, and study the military at large before making that other call.
I think I've already covered this subject, probably with you but not sure.Anywho.....
-
E5 and above with Career designation (hence why they're recruiters) and training should always be able to CC /OC while on base or a Gov't designated property. Actually I correct my last and state that they should always be able to OC whilst in uniform.
Your "Young Hot' headed drunks, aacx, are boots that have no idea. You place standards of discipline within the ranks and you will ALWAYS have exploratory behavior. Or not and see what we have today. Your Tanney's taking over leadership position (or soon to be). Really.......You must be new age and will bend over. NOT frugging in my Navy....
Sorry to say but you and your ilk are a bunch of programmed sick bastards. The down fall of America continues........

I think I've already covered this subject, probably with you but not sure.Anywho.....
-
E5 and above with Career designation (hence why they're recruiters) and training should always be able to CC /OC while on base or a Gov't designated property. Actually I correct my last and state that they should always be able to OC whilst in uniform.
Your "Young Hot' headed drunks, aacx, are boots that have no idea. You place standards of discipline within the ranks and you will ALWAYS have exploratory behavior. Or not and see what we have today. Your Tanney's taking over leadership position (or soon to be). Really.......You must be new age and will bend over. NOT frugging in my Navy....
Sorry to say but you and your ilk are a bunch of programmed sick bastards. The down fall of America continues........

Normally, I'd discuss your points, but since I seem to be an "ilk" now, I guess I'll pass.

How come the signs at the recruitment centers say "Armed Services Center" if they are not allowed to be ARMED!

Navy Times | Sources: Navy officer, Marine fought to take out Chattanooga gunman

From Navy Times | Sources: Navy officer, Marine fought to take out Chattanooga gunman:

A Navy officer and a Marine fired their sidearms hoping to kill or subdue the gunman who murdered five service members last week in Chattanooga, Tennessee, according to multiple military officials familiar with internal reporting on the tragedy.

It remains unclear whether either hit Muhammad Abdulazeez, who was shot and killed Thursday after he gunned down four Marines and a sailor at the Navy Operational Support Center in Chattanooga. It's also unclear why they were armed, as it is against Defense Department policy for anyone other than military police or law enforcement to carry weapons on federal property.

A report was distributed among senior Navy leaders during the shooting's aftermath saying Lt. Cmdr. Timothy White, the support center's commanding officer, used his personal firearm to engage Abdulazeez, Navy Times has confirmed with four separate sources. A Navy official also confirmed Monday's Washington Post report indicating one of the slain Marines may have been carrying a 9mm Glock and possibly returned fire on the gunman.

The various law enforcement agencies investigating the Chattanooga shooting have declined to comment. A source close to the investigation said details of the rampage's last few minutes remain unclear, but that no information has emerged to contradict the Navy's internal findings.

Authorities will not know whether White or the Marine hit Abdulazeez until an autopsy and ballistics assessment are performed.

Several attempts to contact White have proven unsuccessful.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back