It's about SC !

I have mixed feelings on having to have a permit or not.

I am a staunch 2nd amendment guy.

The problem I have with not having to get a permit is simple.

40 years ago I would not have this same problem. It was an American culture back then and most grew up with guns around. If not their own, at least friends and relatives.

In this day and age of extremely realistic Video games, and thinking you know what guns are all about, any player thinks they know how to and when to use a gun.

Without a permit, there is no reason for anyone to HAVE TO admit they read the rules and regs to having one.

Anybody on this forum is biased in the fact that they would not be here unless they were a gun person. They know at least a basic understanding of guns and are here reading about laws and what others think should or should not be.

I'm talking about the folks who know nothing other than 'I want to defend myself'.

I can't imagine when they may think it's OK to pull a gun on someone. Society today is not what it used to be.

40 and more years ago more people had respect for others and since they grew up with guns, they knew their devasting effects.

Not having to have a permit sounds like it may be great at first, but when you think about it, are they really just trying to prove that uneducated people will get stupid with them, moreso than now, and thus have more reason to restrict them at a higher level?

I don't know, these are just some of my thoughts. Maybe they want us killing ourselves so more power can be taken. Pretty conspiratorial, I know.

I am a person of some education and have been and am an educator of both technical and firearms related subjects. I see the lights come on over folks heads over the simplest of concepts, things that you, being here, and I would have thought to be second nature.

No, I'm gonna stick with the thought that there should be an education requirement to carry a gun because everyone is not like you and I. Prior military service is not even a great prerequisite anymore. Yes, Combat vets is a good prereq but then how do you separate the mail clerk from the combat vet? SEALS have all different job titles, Boiler Techs, Electricians, Personelmen, etc....the come from the established force and retain their job titles. SO how would you know.

Just sayin. Just thinking.

KK

I'm ready for a reaming. I won't change my mind and because I have NO position of impact on anyone's ablity to do what they wish, my thoughts are irellevant, except to those who may agree with me.

Bottom line, I'm right! :):):)

KK

Keykutter, I do not necessarily disagree with your reasoning and position but, for the sake of discussion, how do you square that with the situation in the states that do not now require a license for CCW and apparently do not have a problem?

Keykutter, I do not necessarily disagree with your reasoning and position but, for the sake of discussion, how do you square that with the situation in the states that do not now require a license for CCW and apparently do not have a problem?

I can't because I don't know what states they are. I would be interested to know and I would know if I had to go to one of them.

At this point I can only assume they may be states considered to be the place of the eternal sportsman, or survivalist or some such.

When you grow up in a place that has certain values instilled in you from the time of birth, things like this take care of themselves, and with this notion, citizens take care of citizens, at least their education about such matters.

If the are states, I guess like Vermont, that have no permits and you just allowed to carry, it may just be their culture.

I know damned well there are places I will no longer go if concealed carry is permitted by everyone all at once, in a single act. Scary stuff!

KK

That would be a nice thought but I don't think it would gain enough support to pass.
Plus SLED would lose their additional revenue.

I'd still keep my CWP for 2 reasons: bypass the background for firearms purchases and interstate travel, just like my friends in Arizona.

KK,

A few comments:

Ignorance of the law is no excuse: If a person doesn't know the law doesn't mean they won't get prosecuted for breaking them.
You can't fix stupid: Stupid people will do stupid things, even smart people will do stupid things, it happens.

Here are the Constitutional Carry states that I know of Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming.

A bit dramatic statement, "I know damned well there are places I will no longer go if concealed carry is permitted by everyone all at once, in a single act. Scary stuff!" Sounds like the same type of extreme rhetoric I hear from Liberals, if everyone has a gun it'll be like the wild wild west or like shootout from the O.K. Corral.

Like KK I have mixed feelings on this and there are lots of places that I will not go right now as I know most of the patrons are armed illegally. I know that there are cases but personally I have never known anyone to be arrested for just having a gun when it did not involve something else such as a fight, DUI etc. More than one LEO has told me to behave yourself and don't worry about it. One of the advantages right now with our gun laws is that when the police come across someone carrying and about to start trouble they have a legal way of "cooling" down the situation before it gets out of hand. I know this sounds like a stupid statement but I have seen it in action but it can also be easily abused by some LEO.

There are lots of arguments both ways on this and as said I have mixed feelings on it. The blood running in the streets argument is stupid either way to use as it will not be no matter what but there are a lot of stupid people out there that have gotten their training from Hollywood and we should be trying to decrease the number of shootings rather than saying that its OK if the number doesn't go up.

That would be a nice thought but I don't think it would gain enough support to pass.
Plus SLED would lose their additional revenue.

I'd still keep my CWP for 2 reasons: bypass the background for firearms purchases and interstate travel, just like my friends in Arizona.

KK,

A few comments:

Ignorance of the law is no excuse: If a person doesn't know the law doesn't mean they won't get prosecuted for breaking them.
You can't fix stupid: Stupid people will do stupid things, even smart people will do stupid things, it happens.

Here are the Constitutional Carry states that I know of Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming.

A bit dramatic statement, "I know damned well there are places I will no longer go if concealed carry is permitted by everyone all at once, in a single act. Scary stuff!" Sounds like the same type of extreme rhetoric I hear from Liberals, if everyone has a gun it'll be like the wild wild west or like shootout from the O.K. Corral.

Ignorance of the law would be at an extreme if there was no education required to get a permit. Would it matter? I think it would.

Although there are stupid people with guns, there are a crapload of stupid people without guns until they are allowed to carry.

Look at the states you mention. Perfect places that have gun culture from the get go. Vermont is the only one I am surprised about although when I was a kid, Vermont was the deep woods and you were a real woodsman if you lived there. Best friends of my family owned a cottage on Crystal Lake and when we went there it was like walking into the 18th century. It's full of liberals with second homes now.

Dramatic as it sounds, some of the inner cities I have to go to now I will never go again. They scare me now and I know some of them already have guns. The stupidity if they all had guns, and the worsening economy would put me as a no show.

Mello, I don't know your age but when your my age, at least me, I stay away from what I percieve as trouble. I used to embrace it but I was younger then, and more stupid.

Me, Liberal???? yeah, just ask my friends and family how Liberal they think I am.

I think these forums ought to have an age and resident state in the avatar box so we know from where we come.

Some states produce different mindsets than others, some ages definitely do. When I was young, I used to think I knew who I was and spoke and acted that way.

Now, at my age, I know who I am.

KK

it's b/c they copied that article from the USA today. cant say i agree that everyone should be able to CC. WAY too many people out there that would start CCing that have no idea how to use a weapon. maybe that's just me.

You're right. I like the permit. I wish we'd keep having a permit program for CC, but allow open carry.

You're right. I like the permit. I wish we'd keep having a permit program for CC, but allow open carry.

I agree with what you are saying here. I personally prefer CC because I would like to keep the element of surprise on my side.

Also by carrying concealed rather than open I don't have to deal with other people that are fascinated by the idea that I have a handgun. I can avoid all the questions (positive & negative) that people have & also not make any anti-gun folks that you have to deal with nervous. Out of sight, out of mind.

you have a greater chance of having more folks like this....

Man arrested after his gun goes off inside El Mirage Walmart

BOOcrud.

A police officer here who was delivering a CWP class had an AD that hit a student.
There's a youtube video of a police officer shooting himself in the foot in front of a classroom full of kids.

Training doesn't have squat to do with it. These guys knew what they were doing but they were careless.

Letting people carry without a license is not going to affect accidents much, if at all. Are there more accidents in states that allow open carry?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back