ISP Officer killed in the line of duty.

You folks have nothing better to do than pick on newbies - as I said I posted what local authorities and media have said. Here's a link to this morning's Indianapolis Star that quotes authorities who said it was an assault rifle. I did google so have an idea of difference between semi auto and assault, and you're probably right. But, you should REALLY contact the authorities here in Indyland and explain it to them, since all I'm doing is quoting them:

Charges filed in slaying of IMPD officer Perry Renn as new details emerge

I all ready asked if you were new to the firearms world. It's one thing to not know, and want to learn. Its another thing to be willingly ignorant and rude about it. I didn't pick on you since my first reply. I know the media gets it wrong, they do 99% of the time, but do YOU want to get it right? Do you want to learn or not?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

You folks have nothing better to do than pick on newbies - as I said I posted what local authorities and media have said. Here's a link to this morning's Indianapolis Star that quotes authorities who said it was an assault rifle. I did google so have an idea of difference between semi auto and assault, and you're probably right. But, you should REALLY contact the authorities here in Indyland and explain it to them, since all I'm doing is quoting them:

Charges filed in slaying of IMPD officer Perry Renn as new details emerge

Many of these posting on this forum,leads me to think that i posted the information on the wrong forum.
Could the forums moderator just remove my post and the following thread, i see it serves no useful purpose on this forum. thank you.

"Don Davis, owner of Don’s Guns in the 3800 block of Lafayette Road, told Fox 59 News he provided to federal agents a sales receipt made out to Cynthia Davis for the purchase of an AK-47 in 2010.

It was that gun in the hands of her son that killed Perry Renn."

I am new to firearms, and like I said you are probably right. From googling, most of the info I find on AK-47's call them an assault rifle.

"Don Davis, owner of Don’s Guns in the 3800 block of Lafayette Road, told Fox 59 News he provided to federal agents a sales receipt made out to Cynthia Davis for the purchase of an AK-47 in 2010.

I am new to firearms, and like I said you are probably right. From googling, most of the info I find on AK-47's call them an assault rifle.

Assault Rifle vs. Sporting Rifle: http://youtu.be/8C-CLsMRcA0

What Is An "Assault Rifle"? - You've Probably Bee…: http://youtu.be/yATeti5GmI8

indyyy,

Perhaps someone should explain why the true definition of the term assault rifle is important so it doesn't seem like we are just picking nits. The key element in the true definition of an assault rifle is that it is select fire capable. What that means is that the rifle is capable of discharging more than one round with a single pull of a single trigger. That includes burst fire (typically 3 rounds per trigger pull) or full auto which keeps firing until it runs out of ammo as long as the trigger is held to the rear. True assault rifles are already very heavily regulated - nearly banned - by the National Firearms Act of 1934. In the NFA of 1934 the anti-gun crowd used "machine guns" to describe assault rifles - probably because it was easier then to get "machine guns" almost banned without having to use the word "rifle".

Now, the anti-gun crowd wants to ban any and all types of firearms that they can. The standard semi-automatic AR-15 or AK-47 that you can buy in a gun store are "modern sporting rifles." The anti-gun crowd also likes to use the acronym MSR because people will improperly think MSR means "millitary style rifle." A modern sporting rifle is a semi-automatic rifle whose primary purpose is for target shooting or hunting. Also, the anti-gun crowd loves to tell you that an AR-15 is an assault rifle because that is what AR must mean, right? WRONG. AR stands for Armalite Rifle which was the name of the company that developed the AR-15 platform.

So - if you wanted to ban semi-automatic rifles whose primary purpose is for target shooting or hunting what would you do? Would you tell the truth and say that you wanted to ban semi-automatic rifles whose primary purpose is for target shooting or hunting - which at least 95% of all of them in existence has never been used to assault a human being? Or would you even say that you wanted to ban modern sporting rifles? Of course not. So what does the anti-gun crowd do to persuade those on the fence about gun control - and even a lot of gun owners? They misuse the terms assault rifle and military style rifle to define nothing more than semi-automatic rifles whose primary purpose if for target shooting or hunting which are very rarely used to assault humans with or to define basically any gun they can get away with to ban it.

And that is why we are very picky and get in our snits when someone tosses the words "assault rifle" or "military style rifle" around improperly. It would be like defining any rifle with a scope that has any magnefication level attached to it as a "sniper rifle." In some states, the standard Ruger 10/22 is an assault rifle!

The same is true for "high capacity" magazines. What are real "high capacity" magazines? High capacity magazines are magazines that hold more rounds then the gun was orginally designed for. The actual number of rounds the magazine holds has nothing to do with it. A Taurus PT-92, for example, is a double stack 9mm handgun that is designed with a magazine that holds 17 rounds. You can buy "high capacity" magazines that hold 30 rounds for the gun, but the high capacity magazine will extend very noticeably outside of the handgrip of the gun. The 17 round magazine fits perfectly in the handgrip of the gun as it is the standard capacity the gun was made for. Now- if you are anti-gun and want to ban whatever you can get passed, are you going to say that you want to ban standard capactity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds and make legal only reduced capacity magazines that hold less rounds than what the gun was designed for? No, of course not. You are going to do what the anti-gun crowd has done and misuse the term "high capacity" to mean basically anything that you want to ban. In New York it is 7 rounds. In California it is 10 rounds. Even though there are many thousands of models of guns that 7 rounds or 10 rounds is a REDUCED capacity.

I hope that explains the bristles on the backs of our necks when we see the words "assault rifle".

Many of these posting on this forum,leads me to think that i posted the information on the wrong forum.
Could the forums moderator just remove my post and the following thread, i see it serves no useful purpose on this forum. thank you.

I guess just high jacking peoples threads is normal for this forum. Since many who post here have little to post about.

Well, you did make your OP in the General Firearms sub forum:

"The General Firearm Discussion forum Feel free to talk about anything and everything firearms related in this board. But if it is something subject specific, please check the Subject Specific forums to see if it fits."

I guess you feel that your OP was firearms related because the police officer was killed by a criminal using a firearm?

I guess just high jacking peoples threads is normal for this forum. Since many who post here have little to post about.

I thought you were just complaining about people who have too much to say and hijacked your super important obituary...

Navy LCDR - thanks for explaining the difference between assault rifle and semi auto rifle. Since assault rifles were pretty much banned in 1934, I guess just about every rifle the authorities, gun shop owners and their staff, and news media now call assault rifles are actually semi autos. I promise to only listen to rush limbaugh from now on : )

Regarding rifleshooter474's Original Post, it looks like she works with the IPD and was posting so folks here could donate to a good cause and i sympathize. My original post was just mentioning there had been another shooting in Indianapolis the same weekend in which civilians were injured and that I'd heard nothing on the news about the one who was in critical condition since the day of the civilian shooting, while officer Renn has been on the news every day since he was killed. Sorry it turned into a discussion on assault vs semi auto rifles : (

I thought you were just complaining about people who have too much to say and hijacked your super important obituary...

And i guess you don't think my post about this police officer being killed by a worthless gang banger,was not important is this correct Mr. Thread high jacker?

And i guess you don't think my post about this police officer being killed by a worthless gang banger,was not important is this correct Mr. Thread high jacker?

O geez now he's a gang banger...granted he had issues and was a marijuana user at some point...was he associated with any gangs?

I stayed on topic and used the opportunity to further gun knowledge onto a new firearm owner staying within the opinions of the article. If anything, navy jacked the thread with asking why police are put on a pedestal, and you jacked the thread again complaining about hijackers.

Congratulations, you jacked off your own thread.

Since assault rifles were pretty much banned in 1934, I guess just about every rifle the authorities, gun shop owners and their staff, and news media now call assault rifles are actually semi autos.

The deeper you get into the firearms world, the more you will see that misinformation primarily comes from authorities, gun shops, and ccw instructors, in no particular order.

Navy did well in explaining it. It's too bad all the news articles parrot this misinformation, especially when they repeat it so many times with what seems to be the center piece news story for your area. If they were to repeatedly state it was a semi auto rifle, they could honor the officer and spread correct information.

Doesn't seem like that's possible though...even an online thread gets treated like a terrorist attack when we try and honor the death of anyone and get the facts straight at the same time.

If anything, navy jacked the thread with asking why police are put on a pedestal, and you jacked the thread again complaining about hijackers.

Guilty as charged, but can you really hijack a thread that only by the farthest stretch of the imagination had anything to do with the topic of the fourm that it was posted in? It was actually you, in post #17 that brought this thread onto the topic of the forum it was started in (anything and everything firearms related).

Guilty as charged, but can you really hijack a thread that only by the farthest stretch of the imagination had anything to do with the topic of the fourm that it was posted in? It was actually you, in post #17 that brought this thread onto the topic of the forum it was started in (anything and everything firearms related).

True that, in fact since this thread involved police and the misrepresentation of rifles, both our posts are more on topic than the ops own hijacking.

You know, I hate to seem cold and callus, but why are police officers treated so special when one is killed in the line of duty? For example, where is the memorial service and donations for this guy:

City sanitation worker dies after being hit by street sweeper in Queens - NY Daily News

Where is this guy's parade of street sweepers and sanitation trucks in his honor or his memorial fund? One comment in the newspaper:
"OSHA needs to look into this."

The farmer works every day to put food in the grocery stores for my family to eat, and they are killed on the job more often then police officers are. The sanitation worker keeps my family safe by taking away our garbage every week, and they are killed on the job more often then police officers are. The logging and lumber industry worker providing wood to build the house that my family lives in is killed on the job more often then police officers are. Where are their memorials and donations funds?
While I’ve been holding off on comments on the OP I have to post MHO.
I am saddened by the loss of an LEO and not only the loss to the community but to his family and friends as well. It is never understandable how these criminals think or act or how they can be so indifferent to human life.
-
With that said, I understand NAVY’s comments, probably because I was on active duty for over twelve years. We knew going in that we could possibly die for our country. Not a doubt in my mind or most that join the brotherhood. You train, train, practice even more and train. The whole idea is to make the other person die for his cause not you. That is what is understood. But that is also what the military is about.
-
Civilian first responders (which is now what they’re called) train, train and train some more to ensure their skills are adequate to not only survive the fire, pull people out . Engage in a shooting and or arrest of a BG and or save lives for all the above to include EMT’s. But that’s what they get paid for, that’s what they train for, that’s what the tax dollars from my pocket subsidized.
-
Heroes are just THAT, those that have risen to a point WELL BEYOND their normal course of duties to engage whatever conflict that is in front of them willing to put their life on the line. Putting their life in danger by consciously willing to give their life to aid those they wouldn’t normally have to. Most if not all heroes ever consider themselves a hero. Ask any VET going back to WWII , and yes they’re some around, to today’s vets returning from the middle east. You did what you had to do to have your unit survive. Not necessarily you but your fellow unit members as well.
-
Again I do regret the LEO’s loss of life. It’s is unimaginable to me to have such a loss but he did what he like to do knowing the dangers. He made the call.
-
As a caveat, my sister, a retired Orlando LEO and her husband a DEA agent split because she just couldn’t stand the pressure her husband was placing on her by doing undercover work in really highly intense group of people. BUT she did understand that was his calling. Not a hero, just doing his job.
-
Thanks, now back to our original thread. (if ya worried about hi jacking a thread…..call the TSA. We’re here to share information, ideas and experiences)

I can understand both the OP's and Navy's point. Both are very hazardous work. Of the list that Navy put up, I've done about half of them and one nearly killed me (agriculture). I then chose what I thought would be a safer profession. Only to run into more hazards. With that job, I ended up having to become an Operations Level First Responder*. So much for safer.

*Per 29 CFR 1910.120(q)(6)(ii) and 29 CFR 1926.65(q)(6)(ii):
First responder operations level. First responders at the operations level are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous substances as part of the initial response to the site for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release. They are trained to respond in a defensive fashion without trying to stop the release. Their function is to contain the release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposures.

We were trained to stop the releases also if within our equipment's capabilities. Because our jobs affected an Endangered World Heritage Site. One of only two sites ever in the US and the only current one in the US.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back