Is this possible?

Peggy Reist

My daughter told me this about a friend of hers. It sounds questionable to me.

"so he put his gun down on the coffee table and threw his keys on the gun..and the gun went off and shot him thru the leg.."

Does anyone think this is possible the way he claimed it happened?

Meh, doubtful. Sounds like he did something stupid & made up a story to tell.
But, I guess anything is possible. Glock?

Just my OP.

"so he put his gun down on the coffee table and threw his keys on the gun..and the gun went off and shot him thru the leg.."

Maybe if it were cocked (not locked) with an abnormally light trigger though even then unlikely. If we knew what kind of gun it was we could give a better opinion.

Found out a little bit more. She doesn't know yet what kind of gun it was.

"upper thigh, through and through, .22 caliber"

Highly unlikely. But always probable.

Disclaimer: I'm not a physicist. But here's how I see it.

Assuming for the sake of example the trigger is a Six lb trigger pull- would need six lbs of force thrown at it. Force. Not weight of keys. So the force is easy to achieve- But consider the obstacles- the trigger guard is going to absorb part of that force as well as partially block some of the keys. As well as the coffee table.

He would've needed to chuck those keys like a MLB pitcher.

The keys themselves to dot have the ability (force) to move the trigger and disengage the drop safety, no matter what the trigger pull weight or travel is. It is also very unlikely that the gun was not drop safe. Also, if the gun went off when he threw his keys on it, why didn't it already went off when he put it on the table or when he handled it previously? Sounds more like a made up story to me. He likely played with the gun and shot himself in the leg.

Would it be fair to say that the majority of self injury ND stories are made up to cover a stupid action?

Two such examples from some of the nation's "finest". However, I'm still a Giants fan!

"Dodgers pitcher Vicente Padilla accidentally shot himself in the right leg, the Dodgers confirmed Tuesday, but the wound is believed to be minor."

Link Removed

"Burress, who accidentally shot himself Friday night in the right thigh at a Manhattan nightclub, did not enter a plea on the class C felony charges, though his attorney said Burress planned to plead not guilty."

New York Giants' Plaxico Burress suffers accidental gunshot wound - ESPN

I was thinking 1911 cocked not locked. Since it was a .22 prob not a 1911. As far as the keys go..... don't forget that most carry a key chain with other things attached that would add mass and force when tossed. Bottom line I guess it might be possible but unlikely. Good cover though. Who is going to "prove" otherwise? Just say'n.

You are really missing the big point here--TELL HER TO GET RID OF THIS FRIEND!!!!!

ONLY if it was cocked, unlocked, and or the sear/hammer was unsafe.

Sounds like a lame excuse to avoid admitting he did something stupid, like trying to snag a dropped Glock in mid-air, or worse holstering it with his finger on the trigger.

Soooooo, the angle of the weapon would not be consistent to the wound to the leg. UNLESS the weapon was laying almost vertical or this idiot had his leg up on the table. JMHO

It could be possible with a very few guns, the Nambu type 94 comes to mind, which can be fired by pressing on the side of the pistol. "Possible" is a pretty wide range of circumstances, so I wouldn't like to say that it wasn't "possible", but I would say its very highly unlikely with any modern firearm in decent condition. A flintlock with a set trigger cocked and set could go off in the manner described, but I seriously doubt he had either a Nambu or a flintlock (Since the Nambu is 8 mm and I've never seen a .22 flintlock.)

This story is such a crock of crap. Keys thrown at the gun sets if off and hits him the leg, say what?
~
"so he put his gun down on the coffee table and threw his keys on the gun..and the gun went off and shot him thru the leg.." Who sets their gun down on a table with the muzzle facing themselves and then who would throw their keys onto the gun?
~
This story should have been started in one of two ways: "once upon a time" as all fairy tales start or "this ain't no sh1t" as all good sea stories start.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back