Is this just a hobby?

NewlyEnthused

After watching society continue in a downward spiral, I determined is was time for me to do what I could to protect my family.
Yes, owning a firearm is a right, and a privilege, and a great responsibility.

But is it also a hobby? That is what my wife is calling it, a very expensive hobby. I disagree

The dictionary says a hobby is "an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:"

Yes, I do enjoy it, and I am not really sure yet if it relaxes me, but isn't one of my main jobs as husband and father to protect my family?

So is it all of the above?

I believe by occupation they mean "job or profession," as in what you get paid to do. Since you don't get paid to protect your family; more a labor of love... I suppose it could qualify!

And after a stressful day... it can be quite relaxing! Perhaps not in the moment, but I usually feel better afterwards... Kind of like my weight/cardio class: very intense, but I always feel good at the end.

After watching society continue in a downward spiral, I determined is was time for me to do what I could to protect my family.

But is it also a hobby? That is what my wife is calling it, a very expensive hobby. I disagree

The dictionary says a hobby is "an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:"

Yes, I do enjoy it, and I am not really sure yet if it relaxes me, but isn't one of my main jobs as husband and father to protect my family?

As with anything you purchase that is intriguing and has many choices, it most definitely can become what you can call a "collecting obsession", which can also be called a hobby. I am 72, I was born and raised in NYC and never even thought about firearms. When I was 59 I retired, moved to SC and now own 3 firearms and have already sold one at a previous time. I have an occasional urge when I see new product and only $$ stops me--I can see where coin or stamp or watch collecting can be similar. What stops me is the unsaid agreement with wife. When I want new "jewelry", she gets new jewelry--unfortunately a new firearm might cost anywhere from say $400 to $1000 but her jewelry costs $2000 -3000.

In my case the profession of arms is just that a profession. Ultimately it’s kind of a stupid profession (getting shot at for a living) but that’s another topic.
I have friends that died 6 months out from retirement, I don’t want to be that guy so I train my ass off

It will become an expensive pastime when you start getting into the AR or AK style weapons. Even some of the inexpensive pistol caliber carbines can wear a hole in your wallet. Many have said I got all the guns I need just not all the guns I want. One way to cut down on expenses is start reloading your ammo. It can probably cut the cost of your "hobby" in half unless you are reloading 12 gauge. That is another hobby...reloading.

Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitts wife and John Voights daughter explained shooting as being like an Aphrodisiac. I personally think she is on to something. Shooting a firearm is a high responsibility but it doesn't mean you can't have fun shooting.

When I want new "jewelry", she gets new jewelry--unfortunately a new firearm might cost anywhere from say $400 to $1000 but her jewelry costs $2000 -3000.
Hey now, that just isnt fair... dollar for dollar or, or, or.......... fine, I'll go sleep on the couch until I work this out.......

When I want new "jewelry", she gets new jewelry--unfortunately a new firearm might cost anywhere from say $400 to $1000 but her jewelry costs $2000 -3000.

Wow... expensive taste. I think all my jewelry put together might cost that much!

I do have expensive hobbies, though... besides shooting, I have horses and skiing, and that's where my money goes... if it hasn't gone to my kid for his activities.

One of the definitions given by the Merriam Webster Dictionary for the word, occupation, is, "the principal business of one's life."

I am a husband/father. The principle business of my life is providing for my family. That business is expressed in several ways: spiritually, emotionally, mentally, relationally, financially, security. Protecting my family is more than just a hobby. Just as one of the foundational purposes of government is to provide for the protection of its citizens, so a foundational purpose of a father is to provide for the protection of his family. As with anything else, the amount of enjoyment one derives from that purpose is different for each person. Personally, I enjoy that aspect of my husbandly/fatherly duties, and training to be able to effectively and safely prosecute those duties is fun!

Going on the assumption you have children since you said you were married, ask her why she wanted children. To keep up with the Jones'? If she says it's to keep the family name going, tell her you are "doing your thing" to protect her wish.

I'm almost 60. Due to current climate in the country I felt it was time to get some protection for our home. My wife was all for it. We took a gun safety class and a range session. While we bought our first handgun for security it has been a lot of fun to just shoot. We have killed 100's of paper plates.
So what started off as way to protect ourselves, has become a hobby of sorts. We have property where we have a small range set up. I try and shoot once a week when the weather is good. We enjoy shooting. I look at it as hobby that can save our lives. Some people golf, others drink and smoke, some do all of those.......some shoot paper plates.

The first thing to do is get a firearm to protect you and your family...the rest will come if you want it (more gun etc.)

Shooting is my favorite hobby. I enjoy collecting firearms and shooting them for fun at local ranges. It is actually a great stress reliever for me. I also press my own handloads not just to save money but for enjoyment as well. True I also practice for a SHTF scenario but shooting can be what you want it to be. One thing I disagree with was when you referred to gun ownership as a "privilege", it is a Constitutional right.

Hey now, that just isnt fair... dollar for dollar or, or, or.......... fine, I'll go sleep on the couch until I work this out.......

That is why I only have 3 firearms. Too expensive, although--all in all--she is worth it and I can afford it.

Yes.

I own a small workshop. I like to build things. It relaxes me. It is a hobby. But I use my tools to make repairs and fix things too. This doesn't relax me and isn't my hobby, but I would have it no other way since it is satisfying to know I can fix something rather than call the $100/hr repairman.

Do I enjoy firearms, yes. Do I enjoy shooting? Yes. Would I consider it a hobby? Yes. Do I also consider my firearms as tools that I need to be proficient with in case someone tries to harm me or my own? Yes.

It's all the above.

After not owning long guns for nearly 30+ years, my wife and I had an incident after she answered the front door that made me purchase a capable long gun the next day. I had a sidearm on me at the time, but it would have been inadequate against multiple (4, in this case) home invaders. I'll spare the details at this point and just say slamming the front door instantly stopped the thugs plans. I retrieved all my loaded magazines, just in case.

My wife is now armed as well.

We go to the range to become more accurate. We'd like advanced training, but cannot afford it at the moment.

My long gun is now my home self defense tool, and my sidearm is my CC tool.

Hobby? Not for us. Tools for self defense here, and I pray I never have to use them for their intended role.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back