Is My Ohio CCW Permit Still Valid In Ohio If I Move Out Of State?

I have an Ohio CCW permit that expires in September 2015, and I just relocated to Georgia in January 2013. I have 2 questions:-

1) As I am now no longer an OH resident, is my OH CCW permit no longer valid when I'm visiting Ohio? Or will it remain valid until its expiration date?

This is not about reciprocity between OH and GA - I already applied for my GA permit, but as OH and GA don't have reciprocity I would like to have both permits valid.

2) When my current OH CCW permit expires in 09/15, can I get a replacement? or will I be unable to do so on account of no longer being an OH resident?

Please weigh-in people :)

OH permit probably not valid as it is a resident permit and Ohio does not issue permits to non-residents except for military stationed there on orders. My advice would be to get a Utah or Florida non-resident permit as they will allow you to carry in Ohio if you wish along with more states than your Georgia permit will cover.

Depends on what Ohio says. Don't wait either. Some states require you to tell them within days or hours of the change.

When I moved from CT to NH, I called CT's Department of Safety and told them I moved but wanted to keep the permit active. They just asked me for the new info and that they would update the system, that was all. I have since renewed with an official non-res permit in my wallet. I'm assuming they would be fine with the original permit as long as the system was updated. Saves them/me $ issuing a new permit.

Depends on what Ohio says. Don't wait either. Some states require you to tell them within days or hours of the change.

When I moved from CT to NH, I called CT's Department of Safety and told them I moved but wanted to keep the permit active. They just asked me for the new info and that they would update the system, that was all. I have since renewed with an official non-res permit in my wallet. I'm assuming they would be fine with the original permit as long as the system was updated. Saves them/me $ issuing a new permit.

Don't think it will be so easy in this case as Ohio does not offer out of state permits.

Ohio law requires you to notify the sheriff that issued your license about your change of address within 45 days. However, there is no penalty for failing to do so.

Some folks have reported having their license revoked after moving out of state and some have not had it revoked. The reason for the discrepancy is because Ohio law is not clear on what should happen to an Ohio license when someone moves out of state.

Depends on what Ohio says. .

It's not "what OH law says"...but how OH sheriffs interpret the law.

Moving out of state is NOT legal grounds for revocation...but some sheriffs say it is.

2923.128 [Effective 3/27/2013] Suspension and revocation of license

(B)
(1) A sheriff who issues a concealed handgun license to a licensee shall revoke the license in accordance with division (B)(2) of this section upon becoming aware that the licensee satisfies any of the following:
(a) The licensee is under twenty-one years of age.
(b) Subject to division (C) of this section, at the time of the issuance of the license , the licensee did not satisfy the eligibility requirements of division (D)(1)(c), (d), (e), (f), (g), or (h) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.
(c) Subject to division (C) of this section, on or after the date on which the license was issued, the licensee is convicted of or pleads guilty to a violation of section 2923.15 of the Revised Code or an offense described in division (D)(1)(e), (f), (g), or (h) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code. (d) On or after the date on which the license was issued, the licensee becomes subject to a civil protection order or to a protection order issued by a court of another state that is substantially equivalent to a civil protection order.
(e) The licensee knowingly carries a concealed handgun into a place that the licensee knows is an unauthorized place specified in division (B) of section Link Removed of the Revised Code.
(f) On or after the date on which the license was issued, the licensee is adjudicated as a mental defective or is committed to a mental institution.
(g) At the time of the issuance of the license , the licensee did not meet the residency requirements described in division (D)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code and currently does not meet the residency requirements described in that division.
(h) Regarding a license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, the competency certificate the licensee submitted was forged or otherwise was fraudulent.

Thanks to all who responded to my questions. All replies are much appreciated. I did email the sherriff but have had no response (no surprise there), so I am now waiting the (up to) 40 day period whilst Georgia cashes my check and takes its sweet time in issuing my permit. By contrast, Ohio did all the same stuff and issued my permit in 5 days - including a weekend. Is it just a Southern thing? <lol>:laugh:

I just saw this post. What county did you have yours in? I had mine in Carrol County (very 2a friendly) and I emailed the Sherrifs office after moving to PA and I haven't heard from them since. I was under the same impression that mrjam posted that as long as you were a resident at the time that you were issued the licence, you are ok

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back