Is my Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License a Resident or Non-Resident?

Aresye

Need some clarification of South Carolina's laws regarding reciprocity with FL. As of right now I am stationed in Florida, renting an apartment. My CCW license has my apartment address on it, but other than that, my DL is from PA, where my parents live. The FL permit itself does not state resident or non-resident. Wasn't sure if having a FL address on there would qualify as a resident permit, or if I need both a CCW and driver's license from FL? In Florida, having a utility bill was enough to establish residency for a permit, but I don't want to risk it with SC when passing through.

Also, does my status as active duty military mean I can carry anyway through SC? I think that's all it said, but if I were to use my common sense on that, they probably mean on-duty MA's, MP's, or weapon couriers, correct?

What constitutes residency can vary from state to state. The fact that your FL permit has a FL address is good, but with a PA DL I could see it being confusing for some SC LEOs. This is where being active duty may help. But you're right in that most (if not all) states that mention Military carrying weapons mean as part of the Military duties.

You could post this question in a SC law enforcement forum and I'd bet you'd get several different answers there. So I'm afraid there is no 100% clear cut answer, it will just depend on what the LEO at the time thinks.

Sorry couldn't really be more help.

In SC you car carry it loaded in the glove box or closed console even without a reciprocal permit.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor's constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

My FL CC permit does not have my address on it. Is that new or old? It does not state resident or not either.

My FL CC permit does not have my address on it. Is that new or old? It does not state resident or not either.

February 2010 they stopped putting addresses on them.

There is no difference btwn a resident permit and a non-resident permit...except what it says on your drivers license.

February 2010 they stopped putting addresses on them.

There is no difference btwn a resident permit and a non-resident permit...except what it says on your drivers license.

So while there is no difference on the permit itself, sort of means by default that if you have DL from another state it would appear that your FL permit was be a non-resident permit to LEOs from other states. Doesn't it?

Sort of off-topic but I've always found it funny that FL will issue non-resident permits, but they are one of the few states that don't honor non-resident permits.

Sort of off-topic but I've always found it funny that FL will issue non-resident permits, but they are one of the few states that don't honor non-resident permits.

Simple explanation for that. They want you to pay for a FL non-resident permit, if they honored NR permits they would lose out on all those fees.

#1 - keep the gun concealed in South Carolina and don't draw attention to yourself and chances are 99.5% that you won't have a leo encounter that will involve your firearm to begin with.

#2 - Your active duty permanent duty orders to Florida, your active duty military ID card, and your Florida permit should together establish that you have a Florida resident permit. (See 27 CFR 478.11 and ATF Rule 2001-5).

So while there is no difference on the permit itself, sort of means by default that if you have DL from another state it would appear that your FL permit was be a non-resident permit to LEOs from other states. Doesn't it?

Exactly.

If I am correct in my interpretation of SC law, you need to be a resident of the reciprocal state to carry in SC on a reciprocal agreement. You also cannot get a SC non-resident permit unless you pay property taxes to the state of SC.

You are correct.

Hypocrisy at its best. :rolleyes:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back