Is a full mag too full?

NewlyEnthused

The instructor in my class yesterday talked about how full to fill your mag. He said that in a gun fight when you are slamming the next magazine in that it can go in and chamber a round but not latch and stay in. He demonstrated with his Glock that as he fired the round that loaded the magazine fell out.

Apparently when a magazine is totally full there is very little spring left in the magazine which can allow the mag to not engage correctly.

His thoughts were if I can't kill the bad guys with 16 rounds, that one lost round won't make a difference.

Has anyone else found this to be true?

It appears you have a Beretta. What I would do is range test with multiple mags, test, test, test. I have not found any issues of this sort in the past with my 96 FS or the 8040 however, I do not have them any longer. As to the Glocks a Kimbers I have never had any issues. Range time and test.

Stop and think for a second, for what your instructor is saying to be true then every single magazine in the world would have to be defective due to the same design flaw and that would become evident very quickly.

I don’t really think about reloading when I reload but I’ve never had that happen to me and I have reloaded while someone was shooting at me.

No issues at all here. None. A bit baffled how-and-why the instructor had the failure.

With all due respect to the instructor (I don't know the guy) it seems awfully damned convenient that he was able to produce the exact malfunction he was talking about on command.

It depends on the individual gun and mag. I have a KelTec P32 that won't accept the larger magazine. Other than that, it is flawless. Yes, you naysayers, most KelTecs actually work!

The instructor in my class yesterday talked about how full to fill your mag. He said that in a gun fight when you are slamming the next magazine in that it can go in and chamber a round but not latch and stay in. He demonstrated with his Glock that as he fired the round that loaded the magazine fell out.

Apparently when a magazine is totally full there is very little spring left in the magazine which can allow the mag to not engage correctly.

His thoughts were if I can't kill the bad guys with 16 rounds, that one lost round won't make a difference.

Has anyone else found this to be true?

some of the worst info is passed by ccw class instructors

I pack a 1911 and honeslty if I'm thinking on a gun battle where I'll be firing more than my guns capacity on the street, thats one hell of a situation I wouldnt want to be in. At home, different story maybe and still. Not every day you empty a mag in a self defense scenario. But yes, you can never have to much on you. I just dont loose much sleep on that.

I pack a 1911 and honeslty if I'm thinking on a gun battle where I'll be firing more than my guns capacity on the street, thats one hell of a situation I wouldnt want to be in. At home, different story maybe and still. Not every day you empty a mag in a self defense scenario. But yes, you can never have to much on you. I just dont loose much sleep on that.

do you get to choose the bad situations you might encounter?

Perhaps he should keep his thumb off the slide lock so that the slide actually lock open on the last round, then there is no need to compress the round into a full mag.

How do these people become instructors :blink:

Last edited:
It depends on the individual gun and mag. I have a KelTec P32 that won't accept the larger magazine. Other than that, it is flawless. Yes, you naysayers, most KelTecs actually work!

Yet your "working" KelTec won't accept the larger magazine.... hmmm.....

I have 3 Glocks. Never had a problem loading a full magazine. So as a Instructor myself, I disagree with what you were told. Just make sure you hear or feel that click when you insert a full magazine. As long as it clicks, it won't full out. If it does, it needs to be fixed.

Perhaps he should keep his thumb off the slide lock so that the slide actually lock open on the last round, then there is no need to compress the round into a full mag.

How doe these people become instructors :blink:

Or he could be doing a tactical reload drill. Still - the magazine should stay in the gun or something is defective - probably the instructor. Thank goodness, I thought this thread was going to be about keeping the magazines full will weaken the springs....

I blame the magazine, not the gun. My P32 works fine with the extra 7 round magazine. I'm just not sure why I even bothered buying any extra magazines for that gun.

That is not true, a full magazine should seat ok, even with the slide closed with a round in the chamber.

The gun he said it happened on was his Glock that he used to use in competitions. He has also said that the gun has fired over 120K rounds. His whole purpose was to show us the importance of that tap to make sure the magazine is seated correctly. During the class I am sure he hit the mag release to simulate.

He also never said if it happened more than once, but that proper training and proper procedures can help eliminate problems at the wrong time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back