Interesting...

telpinaro

A friend took this at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. On the one hand, they're clearly NOT banning guns. On the other... Well. I can understand the view behind not wanting open carry around a bunch of kids and animals. (Don't wanna get too close to the monkey cage! lol) I have no idea about Denver zoo's policy, though I'd much rather travel to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo than Denver. I do remember looking up the Indianapolis zoo when I went there... guns are allowed unless a school group is present!

Anyway...

Thoughts?

Link Removed

guns are allowed unless a school group is present!

Well sure, because we wouldn't want any armed parent or bystander to be able to prevent harm to that "school group." The whole idea is insane, of course. What do they do... advertise when a "school group" is there? Idiots.

Personally, I have no interest in going to any "no guns zone." Each to his/her own, of course.

Well sure, because we wouldn't want any armed parent or bystander to be able to prevent harm to that "school group." The whole idea is insane, of course. What do they do... advertise when a "school group" is there? Idiots.

Personally, I have no interest in going to any "no guns zone." Each to his/her own, of course.

We didn't go because it was winter, but yeah, I thought that was crazy. How are you supposed to know if they don't advertise? And advertising that there will be a large amount of unruly children under the care of adults who may not know them very well sounds so very safe. I guess you'd have to go on weekends or something.

NEWS FLASH---" There will be 1500 kids running around un-attended at the zoo today. Be advised that we have anounced this to the general public, along with a stern warning that there will be, NO FIREARMS PERMITTED IN THE ZOO".
Wow, the stupidity of these people. Talk about an open invitation for disaster.

NEWS FLASH---" There will be 1500 kids running around un-attended at the zoo today. Be advised that we have anounced this to the general public, along with a stern warning that there will be, NO FIREARMS PERMITTED IN THE ZOO".

You just have to shake your head at the stupidity of some of these people.

So the zoo is a zoo on those days. And the zoo doesn't want any wild animals shot. Cage the kids and let the animals run free. Are the dart guns loaded with lower doses those days for the kids?

A day I wouldn't be going to the zoo for sure.

Can any see/know what the city ordinances and state statutes are referenced?

I am guessing maybe Colorado Springs City Ordinance 9.7.103?:

9.7.103: POSSESSION OR DISPLAY:
B. It is unlawful to knowingly display a firearm or other dangerous or deadly weapon, or any object resembling same which is intended by the actor to intimidate, threaten, alarm or frighten any person.

Can any see/know what the city ordinances and state statutes are referenced?

9.7.103: POSSESSION OR DISPLAY:
B. It is unlawful to knowingly display a firearm or other dangerous or deadly weapon, or any object resembling same which is intended by the actor to intimidate, threaten, alarm or frighten any person.

That'd be my bet... Couldn't read it in the original picture either.

A friend took this at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. On the one hand, they're clearly NOT banning guns. On the other... Well. I can understand the view behind not wanting open carry around a bunch of kids and animals. (Don't wanna get too close to the monkey cage! lol) I have no idea about Denver zoo's policy, though I'd much rather travel to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo than Denver. I do remember looking up the Indianapolis zoo when I went there... guns are allowed unless a school group is present!

Anyway...

Thoughts?

Link Removed

Co Springs City ordinance open carry is prohibited in city owned buildings. I think CMZ counts as city owned

As a long time instructor I've seen more huckaleros than I care to admit. A large number of people who take a class can't hit the ground with their hat. Plenty of people who come for clinics show the worst handling skills you can imagine. If I don't know someone I can't trust their handling skills.
If the zoo is privately owned the company may do what they please. There is no second amendment or "mommy" issue.

One recurring theme I find particularly annoying is the frequency of "so you don't scare the children" or more simply "don't let the children see guns" excuse. It is a great ploy to continue to brainwash chlidren that guns are bad. Right up there with the various local stupidities of expelling a kid for a vaguely gun shaped drawing or an NRA T-shirt.

One corollary would be to have police carry only concealed. Wouldn't that be a super increase in safety perception; until the gun was needed quickly.

As a long time instructor I've seen more huckaleros than I care to admit. A large number of people who take a class can't hit the ground with their hat. Plenty of people who come for clinics show the worst handling skills you can imagine. If I don't know someone I can't trust their handling skills.

Better not come near Washington state, then, where no training is required to carry concealed and not even a permit is required to carry open here. Gee, I wonder what is keeping the blood from running in the streets from all the huckaleros running around here with guns and no training?

Better not come near Washington state, then, where no training is required to carry concealed and not even a permit is required to carry open here. Gee, I wonder what is keeping the blood from running in the streets from all the huckaleros running around here with guns and no training?
No training in NYS either. Navy, you trust every person who carries a gun to not make a mistake? You don't know there are mishaps that kill or injure people? I see horrific handling skills by people who are self-proclaimed gun-knowledgeable persons all the time. I've seen NG's during classes. Gunsite has had so many accidental self-shootings during draw or re-holster that it's become a joke.
According to the NSSF (Link Removed)
- Hunting with firearms has an injury rate of 0.05 percent, which equates to about 1 injury per 2,000 participants.
- Over the last two decades, the number of unintentional fatalities involving firearms (excluding homicide and suicide) is down 58% to roughly 600 per year. That's 600 people who would disagree.
- Over the last two decades the number of unintentional firearm-related fatalities in the home decreased by 50% to roughly 400 per year.
- In 2000, there were 23,237 non-fatal injuries due to firearm-related accidents in the United States. That's 23,000 people who disagree.
- The NSSF found the reason for the large decrease in firearm-related accidents is education.
Is it happening? Absolutely. Do we have our heads in the sand? Absolutely. Is having our head in the sand going to eventually destroy gun rights? Absolutely. I give gun rights two or three more generations and the little dweebs will have stamped it out.

No training in NYS either. Navy, you trust every person who carries a gun to not make a mistake? You don't know there are mishaps that kill or injure people?

I am in much more danger from other drivers when I drive 90 miles round trip to work and back every day. Someone who isn't a cop accidentally shooting me is pretty low on my list of worries.

Probably not that Ordinance doesn't apply to open carry.

More likely City Ordinance 9.7.107. “It shall be unlawful for any person to openly carry any firearm within any building owned or leased by the city”

Probably not that Ordinance doesn't apply to open carry.

More likely City Ordinance 9.7.107. “It shall be unlawful for any person to openly carry any firearm within any building owned or leased by the city”
Which makes no sense at all. If a building is owned by the city and that city rents the building to any person as a residence, they may not regulate firearms in the building. This was found unconstitutional when Andrew Cuomo tried this while serving as housing secretary under Bill Clinton.

I am in much more danger from other drivers when I drive 90 miles round trip to work and back every day. Someone who isn't a cop accidentally shooting me is pretty low on my list of worries.
I think the NSSF report showed you are much more likely to be injured in an auto accident. In 2011 there were 600 accidental shootings resulting in death while there wee 34,600 auto accidents resulting in death. The report cited improvements in firearm safety and training for its 58% drop in incidents since 2001 while there was only a 21% drop in auto-related fatalities.
Interesting enough, there was a 42% increase in fatalities from choking. That's all the politicians who "choke" when it's time to have some balls. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back