Interesting Night

I would also recommend getting a monitor that let's you know when someone has driven or walked across your driveway. This gives you a head's up BEFORE they get to your door.

The Home Security Superstore - HomeSafe® Door & Driveway Alarm - DW-ALARM - Home Security Solutions

I bought that same one for around $17, just for a spare. Loaned it to my neighbor, single mom with medical problems. She's still got it, but I figure I can always get another as cheap as they are. They do work pretty well.

I bought that same one for around $17, just for a spare. Loaned it to my neighbor, single mom with medical problems. She's still got it, but I figure I can always get another as cheap as they are. They do work pretty well.

How well do they work? I have some motion sensors for inside, and my cat sets them off even on the lowest setting. Outside there's lots of dogs, foxes, coyotes, cats, rabbits, deer and an occasional elk. There was even a pair of moose just south of us!

How well do they work? I have some motion sensors for inside, and my cat sets them off even on the lowest setting. Outside there's lots of dogs, foxes, coyotes, cats, rabbits, deer and an occasional elk. There was even a pair of moose just south of us!

I have mine aimed fairly low and they do pick up cats and other small animals, aiming them higher would eliminate most of those. It would not eliminate the taller animals though. I rely on them in case any of our horses get out and head for the road. Ours have motion and heat sensors so we sometimes get false alerts when it's hot and windy, but rarely during the cooler weather. And they very seldom fail to pick up something crossing their path. I think mine are set to less sensitive too.

I have mine aimed fairly low and they do pick up cats and other small animals, aiming them higher would eliminate most of those. It would not eliminate the taller animals though. I rely on them in case any of our horses get out and head for the road. Ours have motion and heat sensors so we sometimes get false alerts when it's hot and windy, but rarely during the cooler weather. And they very seldom fail to pick up something crossing their path. I think mine are set to less sensitive too.

Ha... I just had a horse find a hole in the fence not quite big enough for her to fit through... Luckily the pony didn't find it or she would have! Had fun patching that up while running late...

Might have to try it... it's not all that expensive so if I don't like it I won't be too upset about it. It probably will pick up my horses in the pasture, unfortunately... Their water is right near the driveway.

Got a peep hole in that door and an over the door light? How about a door intercom? If not, get them. If so, use them.

You're lucky the guy on the outside didn't have his gun up and leveled at your chest when you cracked the door open. You never would have had the chance to draw up on him.

Ha... I just had a horse find a hole in the fence not quite big enough for her to fit through... Luckily the pony didn't find it or she would have! Had fun patching that up while running late...

Might have to try it... it's not all that expensive so if I don't like it I won't be too upset about it. It probably will pick up my horses in the pasture, unfortunately... Their water is right near the driveway.

The one I currently use is discontinued. This is the newer version of it, I guess.
Link Removed
I would recommend something like this because the cheaper one really needs to be sheltered from the weather. This one has a lot better range too. Also you can add other sensors to it, up to 8 and put them all over the place.

The one I currently use is discontinued. This is the newer version of it, I guess.
Link Removed
I would recommend something like this because the cheaper one really needs to be sheltered from the weather. This one has a lot better range too. Also you can add other sensors to it, up to 8 and put them all over the place.

Have to check it out... won't need them all over the place, though... the dogs take care of letting me know most of the time!

Unless, of course, I get it one centimeter too far to the right... then my lovely husband will require an entirely new door! He can be a little OCD... I always give him a hard time about having to pause a movie in order to move the TV over less than one inch because it was bothering him. Ah well; good thing one of us is!

Of course, I don't particularly like our door...

Then make him install it! Tell him new peephole or new door WITH peephole! Anything you want to withhold to let him know you're serious is completely up to you.

Then make him install it! Tell him new peephole or new door WITH peephole! Anything you want to withhold to let him know you're serious is completely up to you.

Can't, he's stationed in Bahrain, and I definitely have other activities in mind for when he's home!

Can't, he's stationed in Bahrain, and I definitely have other activities in mind for when he's home!

Well, get in touch with someone on the base (Ombudsman or something) and ask if there is anyone that could help with a quick handyman project. Lots of people would be glad to help out while the hubby is deployed, we would all like to think that the favor would be returned when it's our turn to deploy. With a tape measure and center punch to make sure the drill bit stays put it's a 10 minute job, tops.

Well, get in touch with someone on the base (Ombudsman or something) and ask if there is anyone that could help with a quick handyman project. Lots of people would be glad to help out while the hubby is deployed, we would all like to think that the favor would be returned when it's our turn to deploy. With a tape measure and center punch to make sure the drill bit stays put it's a 10 minute job, tops.

I'll probably do it myself... I'm pretty handy, just not exact with measurements! I'll figure something out; I've already installed my own alarm system! He can deal until he's stationed stateside again.

And I don't count with the base here... he's not deployed, he's actually stationed in Bahrain and not attached to the command nearby. There's people I could call if I really needed help with something, I just don't like to do that. After my husband left, it turns out all my friends were actually his, and I haven't heard from them since. I won't hang out with someone who's just doing it because they feel sorry for me, I'd just wind up feeling worse. Kinda sad, really... my husband was the guy that always looked after the families of anyone deployed.

I'll probably do it myself... I'm pretty handy, just not exact with measurements! I'll figure something out; I've already installed my own alarm system! He can deal until he's stationed stateside again.

And I don't count with the base here... he's not deployed, he's actually stationed in Bahrain and not attached to the command nearby. There's people I could call if I really needed help with something, I just don't like to do that. After my husband left, it turns out all my friends were actually his, and I haven't heard from them since. I won't hang out with someone who's just doing it because they feel sorry for me, I'd just wind up feeling worse. Kinda sad, really... my husband was the guy that always looked after the families of anyone deployed.

They weren't very good friends of his either if they can't look in on you now and then while he's gone...without being asked. Just my opinion.

Reading this post it occurred to me... I don't even have a peep hole in my front door. I'd been toying the idea with of some sort of camera and monitor because that would be a whole lot easier for me to install (better with electronics than carpentry - plus if I make anything slightly off-centered my husband would go nuts!), but I don't have a huge budget. Does anyone have any ideas? Nothing fancy, just a way to make sure that is the UPS guy outside.

Check out Foscam, cheap will alarm on you computer and send video to phone. I use this, alarm, dog and Shotgun or pistol.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back