In the market for a 1911.

JakeG23

Hey all... I am in the market for a 1911. I have narrowed my choices down to the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 (Not the GI), Para GI 1911 and the Remington R1 1911. Any suggestions, pro's and cons of each? Let me hear your thoughts.

If you got the coin, spring for a Wilson Combat (new or used). I got 3 and they are the finest quality BY FAR of any other brand. Ed Browns are a close 2nd followed by Les Baers. If you don't want to spend quite that much then buy a Kimber (I carry an Ultra CDPII). Those are my best recomendations.

I have owned a springfield 1911a1, kimber, and taurus. All fine weapons, I currently have a para LDA and a para 14-45 and love them.

If I had the cash, I would have got an STI.

From your list, I would get the para.

From an everyday carry view, avoid ambidextrous safeties, unless your a lefty. They always turn themselves off.

If I had the coin, I would definitely get a Wilson Combat CQB, but im on a budget and cant afford a $2500 gun.

Have had a couple of P-14s and now a Warthog(Para 11shot 45). All fine shooters. My 1911 sits on my desk next to the "pooter" with an extended mag. Have gotten a bit older and now carry a Sig 232 in 380. I call it my mini 45-lol. Use my Makorov as a backup. Had to take back my old saying that those who carry less than a 45 usually squatted to pee. Time changes most everything.

pilot in wyoming

Hey all... I am in the market for a 1911. I have narrowed my choices down to the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 (Not the GI), Para GI 1911 and the Remington R1 1911. Any suggestions, pro's and cons of each? Let me hear your thoughts.

Greetings from Wyoming-
I own a 1911-a1 9mm mil-spec.
I just love this weapon. Mine has a serial number 1277.
Shoots great and never jams.

The Para is a good choice, but what you probably need to do is decide how much you want to spend and buy accordingly, as you know or are finding out 1911s are all over the map in price, $500 to $4500, or even more for tricked out customs

The only thing I don't like about the Range Officer are the sights. I want fixed novak style sights. I know that none of the weapons I am inquiring about have novak style sights, but I can add them myself. I don't think you can put anything but target sights on the Range officer because of the way its cut. I am looking to carry this weapon on a daily basis and need the sights to be strong. I have looked at the Range Officer and I like it, it's just not what i'm looking for.

I like Night Hawks along with Browns. But of the three the Springer is by far the one you can always add any options later you take a liking to. Good luck and look forward to your choice.

Thanks dee. I think I am leaning towards the Springfield, although I have read some really good reviews on the Para. I have heard too many bad things about the Remington to keep considering it, but im sure that Remington will make them right.

Thanks dee. I think I am leaning towards the Springfield, although I have read some really good reviews on the Para. I have heard too many bad things about the Remington to keep considering it, but im sure that Remington will make them right.

What have you heard bad about the Remington? I heard good stuff when it came out but who knows what happened since then.

I will make two other suggestions keeping your price point in mind. many are fond of the Rock Island and there is a seldom discussed Iver Johnson. Of your choices I would go with the Springfield.

If you would like to go "slightly" higher good deals are available on S&W since they have their new upgraded "E" series coming out.

Smith and Wesson E series 1911... They have the rounded butt and fish scale type griping serrations...

I've seen them for around 975.00

5455888233_09b18be0bc.jpg

Trying to keep your price in mind I meant the older S&Ws. With the "E" series out the prices have dropped to around $700 for the older models still ith a lot more options than a "bare bones".

While I have shoot many 1911's by many manufacturers, of the three you mentioned the Para GI shot excellent right out of the box. I sold it soon after I bought it, but while I did have it, I thought it was a fine pistol. Very accurate and inexpensive made with quality parts.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back