If You Marry an Alabama

Oldgrunt

IF YOU MARRY AN ALABAMA GIRL

Three friends married women from different parts of the country. The first man married a woman from Arizona. He told her that she was to do the dishes and house cleaning. It took a couple of days, but on the third day, he came home to see a clean house and dishes washed and put away.

The second man married a woman from New Jersey. He gave his wife orders to do all the cleaning, wash dishes, and prepare gourmet meals daily. The first day he didn't see any results, but the next day he saw it was better. By the third day, he saw his house was clean, the dishes were done, and there was a huge dinner on the table.

The third man married a girl from Alabama. He ordered her to keep the house cleaned, the dishes washed, the lawn mowed, the laundry washed and ironed, and hot meals on the table for every meal. He said the first day he didn't see anything, and the second day he didn't see anything, but by the third day, some of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye, and his arm was healed enough that he could fix himself a sandwich and load the dishwasher.

I can testify from personal experience that that level of female independence only exists in transplanted Alabama girls!

When we first moved here almost 25 years ago now, two common sights became signs of stereotypical Alabama girls. One was seeing the woman on the riding lawnmower mowin' down the yard(s) around the houses, and that was true whether talking about country girls or in-town girls living in very nice houses. The other thing happens a lot more out in the country than in town, but it's women hanging laundry out to dry on clothes-lines. This was kind of odd to me because I've always done my own laundry even long before I met my wife of 30 years. Never thought of it as "woman's work." Still don't. The funniest thing we ever saw in this category was while riding our scooters out in the sticks somewhere in Cullman County, when we saw a woman hanging clothes on a line that was tied up about 10 - 12 feet off the ground between two trees. She was standing on about a 20-foot long board that was laid across the top of..... are you ready for it? Three old washers and/or dryers spaced (fairly) evenly between the trees! Presumably, the machines were broke down, but who knows? LOL We were riding with several other fellas, all of whom were Bama natives, and when we stopped several miles later both GW and I were laughing and saying, "Didja see that?" and stuff, and the rest of the guys were like, "So what?" Just normal stuff to them, comedy gold to us. LOL

Blues

This makes 59 years with mine. I was fortunate, the swelling went down on the second day and we have had complete understanding of our roles since. God bless her!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back