If I have a general Discharge am I DQ'ed from getting a CCP?

WeissMaus

I received a general discharge from the Army in 1989 (I was young and stupid). Am I disqualified from receiving a concealed carry permit in NC? I have gotten pistol purchase permits with no issues.

Link Removed

Page 16:
The sheriff must deny the permit if certain prohibitions exist. The application must be denied if the applicant:
6. Has been discharged from the U.S. armed forces under conditions other than honorable;

Depends on which kind of administrative General Discharge you were issued. Did you get General (Under Honorable Conditions) or Other than Honorable (OTH)?

Hard question. You will need to ask your local state police.

If for them "other than honorable" means "other than" honorable then that would be bad news.

My discharge says "honorable discharge" and it came with a letter saying "thank you for your faithful service".

It took 6 years to get it.

The DD214 says nothing of course.

Your DD-214 will show what kind of discharge you got. That includes Separation information (type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment eligibility codes). That's the only official documentation that matters. Fancy certificates are for your "I-Love-Me" wall.

Your DD-214 will show what kind of discharge you got. That includes Separation information (type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment eligibility codes). That's the only official documentation that matters. Fancy certificates are for your "I-Love-Me" wall.

Officers do not get discharges upon separation. So my DD214 says nothing on it about that.

My only proof of honorable discharge is my I-Love-Me certificate and the transmittal letter that came with it.

Officers do not get discharges upon separation. So my DD214 says nothing on it about that.

My only proof of honorable discharge is my I-Love-Me certificate and the transmittal letter that came with it.
For the OP it's the DD-214.

Hard question. You will need to ask your local state police.

If for them "other than honorable" means "other than" honorable then that would be bad news.

My discharge says "honorable discharge" and it came with a letter saying "thank you for your faithful service".

It took 6 years to get it.

The DD214 says nothing of course.

You should really keep your pie hole shut when you don't have a clue about a states law. The "state police" doesn't have a damn thing to do with permits in NC. Actually we don't have any agency called "state police". We do have the NC Highway Patrol, and the SBI.

WeissMaus,
As usual, the trolls took off with your thread with little to no information and you have supplies little to none. So why not answer the questions posed? What was the real story of why you were given a general discharge under conditions other than honorable. You will never get an answer without the truth.

WeissMaus,
As usual, the trolls took off with your thread with little to no information and you have supplies little to none. So why not answer the questions posed? What was the real story of why you were given a general discharge under conditions other than honorable. You will never get an answer without the truth.

Posts one of the chief trolls ^^^^. Folks - there is no such thing as a general discharge under conditions other than honorable. A general discharge is an administrative discharge which is ALWAYS characterized as under honorable conditions. I have been the senior officer presiding over several administrative discharge boards. Say a sailor pops positive on a urinalysis for marijuana which is legal in the state of Washington. One of the recommendations of the board is to recommend either a General Discharge or an Other than Honorable discharge. They are completely two different things. The General Discharge is ALWAYS under honorable conditions. If the sailor's only offense was marijuana and it never had a documented impact on their performance at work, then I have no problems at all recommending a General discharge. I answered the OP's question fully in post #2. A General discharge does not disqualify the OP from a NC permit because a General Discharge cannot be "under conditions other than honorable" - otherwise it would not be a General Discharge.

Real information rather than trollish comments can be found here:
Link Removed

The OP refers to what he got as a "general discharge." If it truly was that it would be under honorable conditions but for some reason he seems to think it doesn't qualify for a concealed carry permit in his state. That's why I asked him to elaborate on exactly what kind of discharge he had. It seems that even the holders of their own discharges sometimes don't know what they have.

Since none of us have seen what he has I guess the best thing for him to do is fill out and submit an application for a permit and see what happens.

The OP refers to what he got as a "general discharge." If it truly was that it would be under honorable conditions but for some reason he seems to think it doesn't qualify for a concealed carry permit in his state. That's why I asked him to elaborate on exactly what kind of discharge he had. It seems that even the holders of their own discharges sometimes don't know what they have.

Since none of us have seen what he has I guess the best thing for him to do is fill out and submit an application for a permit and see what happens.

There is a question on the form that he/she will need to answer yes/no about military discharges. He/she may not know what to put down. A false answer would be a felony.

There is a question on the form that he/she will need to answer yes/no about military discharges. He/she may not know what to put down. A false answer would be a felony.
If it's an intentionally false answer.

He can look at his DD-214 (block 24 /Character of Service on member copy) and write it down exactly as it's printed.

SAMPLE

Link Removed

Even after all this great advice the O/P would still need to go to the state bureau of investigation and ask them specifically.

You are right that he/she should bring the DD-214 along.

Well, that question on the application here:
https://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/sheriff/documents/ConcealedHandgunPermit_Application.pdf

is, "Have you been discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces under conditions other than honorable?"

The answer to that question with either a regular Honorable discharge or a General discharge would be NO.

The OPs question had nothing to do with him wondering what type of discharge of he has. He stated the fact, "I have a general discharge." He was asking what the requirements for a NC CCP are. There isn't anything to ask the State Bureau of Investigation about. A general discharge does not, according to state law, prohibit one from obtaining a CHP.

In fact, North Carolina's CHP requirements are more strict than Federal law, because Federal law only prohibits those with dishonorable discharges. A dishonorable discharge requires a court martial. An Other than Honorable discharge only requires an Administrative Separation Board.

My guess is the OP's situation went something like this, "OK, you did something stupid and we are going to kick you out of the Army. So here's your choices. You can just voluntarily take a General discharge and be done with it. It means you won't be able to come back in, you lose your GI Bill and that's it. Or you can go to an Administration Separation Board and they can recommend one of four things. You are not guilty, drop all punitive actions. You are guilty, but does not warrant separating you, retain in the Army. You are guilty, it does warrant separation, but only administratively (General discharge). You are guilty, and it warrants an Other than Honorable Discharge - which is just one tiny step above a felony."

Posts one of the chief trolls ^^^^. Folks - there is no such thing as a general discharge under conditions other than honorable. A general discharge is an administrative discharge which is ALWAYS characterized as under honorable conditions. I have been the senior officer presiding over several administrative discharge boards. Say a sailor pops positive on a urinalysis for marijuana.

Is that how you got the boot Swabby?

Posts one of the chief trolls ^^^^. Folks - there is no such thing as a general discharge under conditions other than honorable. A general discharge is an administrative discharge which is ALWAYS characterized as under honorable conditions. I have been the senior officer presiding over several administrative discharge boards. Say a sailor pops positive on a urinalysis for marijuana.

Is that how you got the boot Swabby?

Since you have nothing intelligent to post, I would expect nothing less childish from you. You never fail to live up to expectations.

Even after all this great advice the O/P would still need to go to the state bureau of investigation and ask them specifically.

You are right that he/she should bring the DD-214 along.

Again, your ignorance is showing, and you seem very proud of your ignorance as you keep marching it out for all to see, the SBI doesn't have a damn thing to do with concealed carry permits in NC.

But when applying, you must bring your DD-214, or they simply won't even accept your application.

Sorry I never came back to reply to this post. I have been out of the Army since 1989 as I mentioned. I have moved more than once. I misplaced my DD214 at some point along the way. I have requested a replacement from vetrecs.gov. I did all the paperwork and mailed in my signature etc. I got notice that I should have my DD214 in about 10 business days. That was several days ago.

I distinctly recall it being a general discharge but as someone else mentioned I have to bring my dd214 to the "interview" at the sheriff's dept in order to be considered.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back