Idea for exposed bottom of holster

Shootinjh

So, when carrying concealed with an "outside the pants" holster and an over-garment that is a bit too short, sometimes the bottom of one's holster can be seen.

For plastic holsters (yeah, I know - composite) you can get a small Vinyl cell company label and stick it on the bottom portion on the outside. Any sign shop can make one.

When a typical person sees the bottom third of the black holster, they are automatically put at ease because they see the Verizon or AT&T logo label and assume it is a holster for a fancy cell phone... not a gun.

"I hope to never use my seatbelt or my gun for their intended purposes, but I wear them anyway." -Shepard Humphries

So, when carrying concealed with an "outside the pants" holster and an over-garment that is a bit too short, sometimes the bottom of one's holster can be seen.

For plastic holsters (yeah, I know - composite) you can get a small Vinyl cell company label and stick it on the bottom portion on the outside. Any sign shop can make one.

When a typical person sees the bottom third of the black holster, they are automatically put at ease because they see the Verizon or AT&T logo label and assume it is a holster for a fancy cell phone... not a gun.

"I hope to never use my seatbelt or my gun for their intended purposes, but I wear them anyway." -Shepard Humphries

This might actually bring attention to the holster, and possibly cause the casual observer to see printing through clothing. Most people aren't as as observant as you're giving them credit for. I've OC'd in many places (where legal) and many people fail to spot my holstered pistol. Given the fact that many people have various gadgets on their belt, your average Joe usually assumes the exposed portion of the holster would be one of those gadgets. If one were to observe the cell phone sticker on an "odd looking" cell phone, or possible cell pone holder, they may ask about it, or simply keep looking in an attempt to figure out what kind of phone it is.

Save your $$, do your best to cover up, and don't worry too much about your firearm becoming exposed. After getting used to the firearm and how your clothing conceals, you will become more confident and know when you need to hold down your clothing to avoid having your firearm exposed.

gf

Remember, bright and contrasting colors attract attention as they stand out on their background. You could minimize this effect by matching your holster color to your slacks color.

Buy your shirts at a Big and Tall store. Tall shirts are just longer.
Or buy a IWB holster such as Crossbreeds Super Tuck.

This might actually bring attention to the holster, and possibly cause the casual observer to see printing through clothing. ...

Save your $$, do your best to cover up, and don't worry too much about your firearm becoming exposed. After getting used to the firearm and how your clothing conceals, you will become more confident and know when you need to hold down your clothing to avoid having your firearm exposed.

gf

Yep, it could draw attention. Yep, it could be seen thru clothing. Yep, it could be a conversation starter. These are very valid points, thanks for mentioning them!

This idea is not on-par with fire, the 1911 or the wheel. It is an idea and like all ideas, there are down-sides and up-sides. Of all the concealed carry folks in the world, some will choose not to do this, some will wear a cross-draw holster, some will carry wheel guns and some will wear an ankle holster. Again, each person must evaluate the pros and cons of every idea, tactic & style.

Please keep an eye on my future posts and call me on it if I am ever condescending toward posters with whom I might disagree. :pleasantry:

Oh, yeah. You're looking for that non-existent "tactical advantage". My mistake.

Better make sure your concealed carry badge is well hidden too.

Hey! How did you know I carry CC-badges?! lol I actually wear 4, so that if the wind blows up my skir...err, I mean shirt tails, folks from all four angles will know how important I am! lol

Buy your shirts at a Big and Tall store. Tall shirts are just longer.
Or buy a IWB holster such as Crossbreeds Super Tuck.

My sentiments exactly, if yyou have to conceal, you should have appropiate wardrobe. I do applaud your creativity, always thinking,i like that.
Here in n.y they are sticklers about exposing, brandishing your side arm. I think we probably buy the most IWB type holsters. I even like the Clip draw thingys on a couple of my guns. No holster clip hangs off belt, gun tucked in pants. Very fast and no bulk. i have a friend who carrys his Glock like this without the clip draw, he is alot thinner than me, you cant even tell.

I think if I were putting a phone co. label on the bottom end of a leather holster, I'd see if it could be stamped or embossed, instead of a sticker, and NOT a bright high-contrast color. The holster for the radio I wear at work actually has the circled M and "Motorola" embossed into it. If there was any contrasting ink there, it vanished years ago.

I'm more of an IWB guy for concealment, just my thoughts on the original suggestion.

I IWB & Pocket Carry, so I don't need any labels other than manufacturers logos. The only OWB carry I do is when I carry my Rossi 46102, I utilize an Uncle Mikes Slider Ambi. holster and I wear a larger shirt or sweater. :pleasantry:

This might actually bring attention to the holster, and possibly cause the casual observer to see printing through clothing. Most people aren't as as observant as you're giving them credit for.

I second this. I was invited to bring my guns over by some people interested in CCW. I loaded them all up in the same jacket (love those velcro backed pocket holsters). Felt self-conscious about it, seemed like they were fairly obviously printing to me. First question I was asked was "Did you bring them?" and surprise as I started emptying them out of the jacket. No one noticed, and they were expecting me to have them...

Alternitavely, you could also adjust your clothing so that you don't have parts of your holster exposed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back