I shot him because I feared for my life...as he ran from me...

Regretfully, Slager would have more than likely gotten away with this without the video.
I'm really surprised that he didn't go after the camera person demanding the "video evidence". Did he not see the photographer, assumed he was justified or that he could get away with it no matter what, that the thin blue line and his superiors would cover for him...? Of course, based on many prior instances of somewhat similar police abuse Slager had good reason to be sanguine in the outcome of his situation. However, (thankfully) it didn't turn out that way.

Maybe this incident will precipitate a change of direction in policing. Last evening on PBS there was reference to other systematically abusive police departments in the country (LAPD, Albuquerque PD, Cleveland PD...), along with problems within N. Charleston PD. I don't look for a sea change in US civilian police abuse but anything mitigating it's present direction will be an improvement.

Regretfully, Slager would have more than likely gotten away with this without the video.

I rather doubt it. 8 bullet holes in the back is pretty hard to explain away. (Assuming they all hit their mark.) Even with no video, there were bound to be witnesses.

I rather doubt it. 8 bullet holes in the back is pretty hard to explain away. (Assuming they all hit their mark.) Even with no video, there were bound to be witnesses.

Bill, I respectfully disagree and the following article explains why: South Carolina police officer charged with murder for shooting fleeing black man - Vox

Quote - "Without the video … it would be difficult for us to ascertain exactly what did occur," North Charleston Mayor R. Keith Summey said during a news conference, according to the Post and Courier.

From the above article - The charges against Slager are surprising because police are very rarely prosecuted for shootings — and not just because the law allows them wide latitude to use force on the job. Sometimes the investigations fall onto the same police department the officer is from, which creates major conflicts of interest. Other times the only available evidence comes from eyewitnesses, who may not be as trustworthy in the public eye as a police officer.

Another - In general, officers are given lot of legal room to use force without fear of punishment. The intention behind these legal standards is to give police officers leeway to make split-second decisions to protect themselves and bystanders. And although critics argue that these legal standards give law enforcement a license to kill innocent or unarmed people, police officers say they are essential to their safety.

Slager's attempt to plant evidence (what appears to be the taser) could, in my opinion, have given the officer justification for shooting Scott as a fleeing felon with a weapon. Without the video, I genuinely believe that LE would have closed ranks and Mr. Scott would just have been another statistic.

If this murderer gets-off with a much reduced sentence, he better make a run to walmart and pick-up some Dove soap...with 1/4 cleansing cream. May help him on the inside (no pun intended).

If this murderer gets-off with a much reduced sentence, he better make a run to walmart and pick-up some Dove soap...with 1/4 cleansing cream. May help him on the inside (no pun intended).

This will be, or should be, his biggest concern. If he's convicted and sent to a state prison, he will have to be segregated from the general population or they'll kill him. But while he's being held in a county lock up while his trial preparations take place, he will be much easier to "get to". This could take well over a year. The wheels of justice grind slowly. There is a possibility he'll never make it through to conviction, let alone sentencing. It's one thing to be held in prison as an armed bank robber. It quite another to be a white cop who whacked an unarmed black guy. Especially with today's racial climate.

according to the latest news, he is being held in isolation in the County jail. It is already off the front pages in SC. Some witch named Hilary threw her witches hat in the ring for President.

Yes, Slager has been held in isolation while in the Al Cannon Detention Center. They're smart enough to know that if he's put in the general population he'll end up dead. The same would go for if he ever went to state prison, he'd be in fear for his life everyday. I'm sure the inmates at Lieber Correctional are praying that Slager shows up there one day.

One of two things happen if ex-cops end up in the general jail/prison population. Big Bubba gets a new "girlfriend" or the local cemetery gets a new grave. Same thing happens to child abusers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back