I need some opinions/advice please help!

kingofthedemo

I bought a used hk usp .40 on Gunbroker. The gun appears to be in very good condition and has the np3 robar finish, and trijicon night sights.

I bought a laser bore sight for sighting in my viridian laser sight. The problem is when I placed the laser bore sight in chamber and closed the slide, the laser was way off from the iron sights. I aligned the viridian laser sight up with the laser bore sight in the barrel. My question is, does this meen that my iron sights are off, are laser bore sights accurate, or does this meen there is something wrong with my guns barrel. Please offer advice or ex[erience with boresights I'm trying to figure this thing out...

I bought a used hk usp .40 on Gunbroker. The gun appears to be in very good condition and has the np3 robar finish, and trijicon night sights.

I bought a laser bore sight for sighting in my viridian laser sight. The problem is when I placed the laser bore sight in chamber and closed the slide, the laser was way off from the iron sights. I aligned the viridian laser sight up with the laser bore sight in the barrel. My question is, does this meen that my iron sights are off, are laser bore sights accurate, or does this meen there is something wrong with my guns barrel. Please offer advice or ex[erience with boresights I'm trying to figure this thing out...

If I remember correctly from my laser bore sight tool, It's not recommended to close the breech. Just insert the laser tool into the chamber with the slide open and sight. Of course mine was for my AR. Check the instructions for the laser.

I'd be more apt to blame the laser bore sight tool. I recall mine had adjustments to center the emitter diode. A look down the barrel will tell you if you have any damage. If you have any doubts as to your ability and I'm not impugning your ability just trying to make you think about it, take it to a gunsmith and ask questions there. If you don't know of a good gunsmith, ask a local dealer. Most will know of one that they use or have one in house.

Good luck...

If the iron sights are adjustable, they probably got knocked out of alignment? Or you could have inserted the laser incorrectly. I'd take it to the range and see if it shoots to the irons before I'd make any changes to them though.

If the iron sights are adjustable, they probably got knocked out of alignment? Or you could have inserted the laser incorrectly. I'd take it to the range and see if it shoots to the irons before I'd make any changes to them though.

The're not adjustable, I meen there fixed sights you would have to remove them to adjust them , and I don't want to mess them up. The first time I took it to the range I was doing a horrible job, I didn't know what was wrong with me, but now after using the laser bore sight I'm wondering if it was the iron sights... I'm not sure why they would be off though.

The're not adjustable, I meen there fixed sights you would have to remove them to adjust them , and I don't want to mess them up. The first time I took it to the range I was doing a horrible job, I didn't know what was wrong with me, but now after using the laser bore sight I'm wondering if it was the iron sights... I'm not sure why they would be off though.

Have a gunsmith look at it... It's impossible to clearly and accurately diagnose in this medium. :biggrin:

If you are concerned about the condition and function of a firearm, have a gunsmith look it over.

Good luck..

Have a gunsmith look at it... It's impossible to clearly and accurately diagnose in this medium. :biggrin:

If you are concerned about the condition and function of a firearm, have a gunsmith look it over.

Good luck..

Thank you for the advice. I just figured it might help to get some advice from peoople who have used laser bore sights, before I take it in.

Thank you for the advice. I just figured it might help to get some advice from peoople who have used laser bore sights, before I take it in.

By what you described, having issues at the range, indicates the irons are off or something else is wrong. An optical bore sight tool and a gunsmith would be the best bet.

I had good luck with my laser bore sight tool. It got me on the paper with my AR and scope combo.

Let us know what comes of it..

They are great guns. Sorry you are having issues with it. I agree with all the posts this far but cant help but wonder if the nite sights were installed correctly. Hope u get it sorted out.

They still should shoot to one area, even if they are off, as long as you aim at the same point.

They still should shoot to one area, even if they are off, as long as you aim at the same point.

The thing is, when you look down the iron sights (with the laser bore sight tool in the chamber) the laser projects far left outside the sight picture. But, upon visual inspection of the outside of the gun, they appear to be properly fitted. I'm so confused! Is there any reason the bore laser would project an innacurate impact point?

They are great guns. Sorry you are having issues with it. I agree with all the posts this far but cant help but wonder if the nite sights were installed correctly. Hope u get it sorted out.

Thank you! You know I have wondered this also. The previous owner shipped the pistol to Robar to have all of the metal parts of the gun refinished and coated in ROBARS NP3 Teflon coating. Robar would have had to remove the iron sights to refinish the pistol. Maybe they reistalled the iron sights incorrectly......

Exactly how is it shooting at the range? Is the grouping tight, but off of point of aim or is the grouping very poor?

If the gun is just shooting to the left of point of aim, you drift the rear sight to the left to compensate or drift the front sight to the right, or you can drift them both. If they removed the sights to refinish the gun, they simply may have eyeballed the iron sights to about center on the gun and they may not actually be aligned with the bore.

I would get your laser sight shooting correctly and then take it to a gunsmith and they can drift the sights to match the laser point of aim, if it is off horizontally.

If the gun groups well but is off vertically, then you will need to file the front sight lower to raise the point of impact or install a taller front sight to lower the point of impact.

Exactly how is it shooting at the range? Is the grouping tight, but off of point of aim or is the grouping very poor?

If the gun is just shooting to the left of point of aim, you drift the rear sight to the left to compensate or drift the front sight to the right, or you can drift them both. If they removed the sights to refinish the gun, they simply may have eyeballed the iron sights to about center on the gun and they may not actually be aligned with the bore.

I would get your laser sight shooting correctly and then take it to a gunsmith and they can drift the sights to match the laser point of aim, if it is off horizontally.

If the gun groups well but is off vertically, then you will need to file the front sight lower to raise the point of impact or install a taller front sight to lower the point of impact.

The groupings are pretty consistent but they are way out of the sight picture. I don't know how to adjust the sights, I have never done that before
Thank you for your advice!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back