I need need to inform my employer of my permit to carry

Holio4

Currently my employer has no weapons policy and my Supervisor wants me to talk with the boss and/or owner about me carrying at work. I know as an employer, OSHA requires them to provide a safe work place, and i'm pretty sure their insurance company doesn't require them to ban weapons. I was hoping there were some permit holders here that might have dealt with a similar situation. I was thinking of E-mailing him with some convincing facts to assure him that as a permit holder I am trained, and educated on the laws in MN. I'm aware of a new law in MN that doesn't allow my employer from me keeping a gun locked in my car on company property, but I feel my weapon is safer on my body, rather than locked in my car. Also, I know that some of the general contractors that hire us do ban weapons on the job site, and I have no problem with that. We are a building restoration company and have job sites all around the twin cities, a lot of times in shady neighborhoods. Our warehouse/office isn't even in the best of neighborhoods.
Anyhow, I was hoping to convince him not to ban weapons on company property or in company vehicles. I have been carrying concealed every day and everywhere since Nov. 2008, and only a handfull of my co-workers who I know I can trust know that I carry.
ANY input or help on my situation would be greatly helpfull, and please ask if you need to know anything else.
Thank you

Last edited:
Don't know about your State Laws concerning on premise CC on your Employers property or Job Site. Just looking at it in a business sense, that's a lot of Liability he'll assume if he grants you permission. Plus you won't be CC'ing for his business interests, but for your personal protection. Tough call, good luck.

I'm not a business owner so i'm not really familiar with liability issues, but it does make sense that if I was irresponsible with my gun to where someone innocent got hurt he would have problems. Obviously my opinion doesnt change the law, but if I had to defend myself from a BG, and I am legal in doing so, I alone should be responsible for my actions. I know part of his decision should be based on trust also.

I'm afraid any advice I would offer based on my situation might not help you. My boss all but begged me to get a CCH permit. :) If I wasn't in such a friendly situation I'd carry anyway but keep it to myself.

Sounds like, in your situation, your supervisor is pressing the issue and that's not a good place to be. If you feel like you can make a convincing case to the boss, then that's probably what you should do.

Good luck.

no way

Your supervisor needs to mind his own business. As long as your employer does not have a PUBLISHED policy regarding this issue than yu don't have to inform anyone. Furthermore, if your supervisor decides to take it upon himself to inform the boss, you could have legal options.

I have to say you may have dug your own grave on that one. I can assure you, your employer will not grant you "permission" to carry while at work. Although many people do it anyways, I would say just do it at your own risk, do not seek any kind of permission from them, if anything, they may use it against you in the future and possibly fire you, its happened before.
Secondly, depends on how easily you can conceal it, your employer is going to look at the risk that clients, other employees, customers, what have you will see it, the possiblility that you go "postal" etc, hes going to weigh all risks involved and probably spoon up some made up BS about anti-gun policies.

Good luck, keep us informed.:biggrin:

If one person knows you carry everyone knows you carry. So, you kinda screwed the pooch on that one. I don't discuss concealed carry at work and if some one asks me I recite the company policy verbatim from the handbook and change the subject.

Your supervisor needs to mind his own business. As long as your employer does not have a PUBLISHED policy regarding this issue than yu don't have to inform anyone. Furthermore, if your supervisor decides to take it upon himself to inform the boss, you could have legal options.

Baron: Sorry to dispute your word but this fellow's supervisor is minding his own business. As the supervisor, he represents the employer and is right in giving him those instructions. Carrying a weapon on the job site is not a decision that an employee can arbitrarily make, licensed or not. I was an HR manager and would have fired anyone carrying a weapon and, if the supervisor knew it and did not report it, he would have also been fired. Don't stake your job on someone telling you you have to have a written policy prohibiting the carry. As for holding the supervisor liable for informing the employer, forget that stuff. He is doing his job!:no:

Oldgrunt:

Carrying a weapon on the job site is not a decision that an employee can arbitrarily make, licensed or not. I was an HR manager and would have fired anyone carrying a weapon and, if the supervisor knew it and did not report it, he would have also been fired. Don't stake your job on someone telling you you have to have a written policy prohibiting the carry. As for holding the supervisor liable for informing the employer, forget that stuff. He is doing his job!

As a matter of fact, and point of law, in states with carry permit laws, there is no law on any of the books (that I or 3 lawyers this evening have been able to find) which requires a legally armed citizen to declare their decision to exercise the 2nd Amendment Right to bear arms...

Further, if a place of business does not have a PUBLISHED policy, about this, or any other matter which is not in violation of the law, the company, or employer, cannot ethically terminate employment without first addressing the issue, not only to the employee who's involvement is primary, but to the entire business: i.e. the employer would have to implement a new policy on the issue; at which time the emplyee would have a choice either to comply or resign.

And, as for the supervisor's "job", it is only his job to ensure proper adherance to company policy, not to "police" the workplace by creating difficulty for law abiding subordinates who are not violating current laws or policies, nor posing a threat to the safety or efficient function of the workplace.

Great input so far keep it coming, and thank you. I'll be making a decision next week sometime. 1 of my pistols is VERY concealable, so at least I have options. Although I support our 2nd amendment rights completely, I cannot lose my job over it.

Yep! Follow the laws governed by your state and keep your month shut as long as your employer has no policy governing/prohibiting. Research further "discretely".

Speaking of which...not trying to sound negative/cynical just a realist...Just how many co-workers, of your handful of trust-worthy co-workers, do you think know? Never assume even your best buddy will keep a secret. It's Concealed Carry for a reason...only the carrier should know.

MHO...Your supervisor will probably blow whistles loud enough for the CEO to hear if you don't abide by his wishes (his job's on the line). A good start, be upfront and honest with him about your concerns of self protection. This is exactly how prohibition starts in a work environment...one person's fear or feels threatened. Be careful how you handle it, but try to settle his concerns.

Good Luck!

Oldgrunt:

Further, if a place of business does not have a PUBLISHED policy, about this, or any other matter which is not in violation of the law, the company, or employer, cannot ethically terminate employment without first addressing the issue, not only to the employee who's involvement is primary, but to the entire business: i.e. the employer would have to implement a new policy on the issue; at which time the emplyee would have a choice either to comply or resign.

Are your eyes brown? I'd like to see a cite.

In Colorado , as in many other states, they don't even have to give you a reason all they have to do is tell you it's not working out and walk you out the door.

If one person knows you carry everyone knows you carry. So, you kinda screwed the pooch on that one. I don't discuss concealed carry at work and if some one asks me I recite the company policy verbatim from the handbook and change the subject.
I like your style and agree. How did the Supervisor find out in the first place?
Don't ask, don't tell!:yu:

concealed carry at work

It's better do beg forgiveness than to ask permission. I you ask they'll have to check with thier lawyers, HR people etc and you will most likely get an anti-gun policy. This is happening were I work. We had no policy either way my boss thought there were enough of us pro-gunners in leadership position. So he brought it up. Yep, you guessed it, we have a no weapons policy going into effect as soon as the "lawyers message it".

As a generalization, an employer can terminate any employee for good cause, bad cause, or no cause at all, as long as the terminiation was not discriminatory against a protected class. I don't know of any states where holders of carry permits are considered a protected class.

Although I support our 2nd amendment rights completely, I cannot lose my job over it.

Your decision is made. If you can not afford to loose your job, then leave your pistol at home.

hatchet

Your decision is made. If you can not afford to loose your job, then leave your pistol at home.

hatchet

There's really not a lot more to add to that. Sounds like having a gun at work is going to cause far more problems than it's solves.

I worked for a Dr. a few years back who flat told me I was welcome to carry a gun at work. He even advised that I do so.

I had enough sense to realize that if I ever used said gun to defend his drugs or his practice I'd be unemployed before the shell casing hit the floor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back