I may be dumb, but, what kind of belt?

I have two belts - one 5.11 for lighter concealed carry (where I don't have to fully gear up) and a 2nd one which I purchased at a specialty shop which was twice as thick for guard duty, or combat training (wearing firearms, extra mags, flashlight, handcuffs, radio, and more).

You have to chose one which will keep your holster in place allowing you to smoothly pull your firearm. If the holster moves either your belt is to thin or to light. Get a new one. Lock your holster in place to save you or your loved ones lives!

Mags
Link Removed

I have two belts - one 5.11 for lighter concealed carry (where I don't have to fully gear up) and a 2nd one which I purchased at a specialty shop which was twice as thick for guard duty, or combat training (wearing firearms, extra mags, flashlight, handcuffs, radio, and more).

One assumes that if you're wearing all that you have a belt for your pants and a duty belt for all the crap right?

If admin deletes my post, I understand.

I'm gearing up to make my own line of belts. I hope to have them for sale in less than 2 months on Etsy and Ebay They will be from a plain Jane single layer, to a dual layer saddle stitch with hand tooling. The single layer belt will be strong, but the dual layer will be much stiffer. The saddle stitch will be recessed, and if a thread does break, the rest of the stitching won't unravel. Machine stitching is much faster and more economical to manufacture, but not durable, for show only. The buckles will be a choice of solid brass, or stainless steel, not Chinese pot metal.

Quality materials definitely makes a difference. My belts will be from vegetable tanned leather, not from inferior leather with a filler seen on cheap belts.

I've heard of Wally World $12 belts doing the job, but not in my case. I'm wearing one right now that I've had for 6 months, and it's literally ready for the trash.

Here is my take on belts from WallyWorld.

I bought one there out of necessity late December while I was out of town. I had lost some weight and my previous belt I used for carry no longer fit. I also have a new Hank's belt, but thought since I have this WW belt I would get my use of it. In less than 2 months, used 4-5 days a week to carry a Nano (a couple times my G26) in a Flashbang Ava (which is similar to the pictured holster but sized for a woman), the belt is starting to get stretched, floppy and lax. And it initially appeared to be a sturdy full-thickness leather belt by Wrangler, 1.25 inch width from the men's department. It will no longer hold my holster close to my body, and I have had to decrease the hole I was using twice. I know I have not lost 2" from my size 6-8 waist, I would notice that!! And I am not working, so this is just routine daily wear, maybe drive to town once a week or so. Not daily use, because I have several other forms of carry depending what I am wearing.

Based on the performance of this belt, I have no desire for another WW belt... even if they are giving them away!

I have to admit, I was skeptical that I needed a big thick sturdy belt to carry my Beretta. That was until I finally got my holster and started wearing it around house. My everyday wear belt is old, but wide and thick, but boy did it sag after a short time. I found myself having to pull up and redistribute the weight on a regular basis.

So if I ever am skeptical about things you guys say, slap me and remind me that you are bonafide geniuses. :cool:

Thanks

I wear Cabela's Double Duty belts.
1.5", sewn double thickness. I have one of each color - brown and black.

regular price $39, often on sale at $29.

Good belts at a good price.
Link Removed

My two main gun belt suppliers--

Leather Belts-- Link Removed

(Great belts- and often cheaper that an ordinary belt. $40 is average for a like new belt)

If you like a good nylon belt (and I do), a "Wilderness Tactical" makes the best belt I've ever owned!

Link Removed

-

Thanks for all the feedback, but I have another question.
In looking for a belt, I used the word tactical in one of my searches and found a number of nylon webbed tactical belts or instructor belts.
After seeing the strength of a good leather belt for support and comfort, can a nylon webbed or tactical, or instructor (whatever you want to call it) belt be just as good?

Bottom line, is Leather better than nylon, and why?

Thanks for all the feedback, but I have another question.
In looking for a belt, I used the word tactical in one of my searches and found a number of nylon webbed tactical belts or instructor belts.
After seeing the strength of a good leather belt for support and comfort, can a nylon webbed or tactical, or instructor (whatever you want to call it) belt be just as good?

Bottom line, is Leather better than nylon, and why?

Totally personal preference, which means you'd have to try both in order for you to answer "why" for yourself.

Blues

Why would you buy a nice gun and holster and not get a good gun belt? Get a good 1.5 gun belt and do it right. I have a 1.25 gun belt and two 1.5 gun belts. I only wear gun belts even if I'm not carrying. I prefer leather over nylon but the choice is yours. Try and save up and get a good belt, it's worth it.
:triniti:

Why would you buy a nice gun and holster and not get a good gun belt? Get a good 1.5 gun belt and do it right. I have a 1.25 gun belt and two 1.5 gun belts. I only wear gun belts even if I'm not carrying. I prefer leather over nylon but the choice is yours. Try and save up and get a good belt, it's worth it.
:triniti:

Good point. I saved for a great gun, a very good holster, all because why skimp for a one time (or at least far between) purchase, so why look at the cheap end on the belt.
I recently was looking at a Army Surplus for a good quality one, but still looking.

I have a black and a brown belt from Jack Russell leather. I purchased them on eBay for $45 each. They should last a lifetime, unless my waistline changes;).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back