I know a person can be to young to CC,but is there a law to be to old to CC?

65nowha

Are there laws in different states that say someone can be to old to get a CC license? I haven't heard of one,just curious!

There is no limit age for driving either, yet when a person becomes incapable of handling a vehicle due to infirmities brought on by age or otherwise, their drivers license can be revoked.

Some people in their 90's are perfectly capable, while other in their 50's or 60's are a real hazard to everyone.

Don't know of a upper age limit.
Only age limit is the day that you die. Dad was still able to safely shoot up till less than a month before he died at age 85 -3 days. And with a 1911 could put me to shame even at that age. And I'm not all that bad a shot. Others as others have said, are unsafe at any age and shouldn't have them. It all depends on the person.

Are there laws in different states that say someone can be to old to get a CC license? I haven't heard of one,just curious!

As a resident of CA, I got my concealed carry permit at the age of 69. As long as you qualify and pass the background check your age doesn't matter. The NRA instructor I went to for qualification had just recently qualified an 80 year old gentleman.

Age doesn't matter, ability does.

Got my CC at 63, and one of the RSOs at my favorite range is in his 60's and recommends CC training for any senior citizen he deals with. As long as you can safely handle a firearm, go for it. When you can't, check into a well-fortified nursing home, where somebody else can be responsible for your safety.

Never heard of an upper age limit. Seniors may not be able to fight, but we sure as hell can shoot!

There is no limit age for driving either, yet when a person becomes incapable of handling a vehicle due to infirmities brought on by age or otherwise, their drivers license can be revoked.

Some people in their 90's are perfectly capable, while other in their 50's or 60's are a real hazard to everyone.

I agree with you XD40scinNC!

Louisiana CCW permit holders must test every 5 years. Instructors determine if the permit should be renewed.

Louisiana CCW permit holders must test every 5 years. Instructors determine if the permit should be renewed.

That's some scary stuff right there. Just plain ol', un-sworn citizens can deny the fundamental rights of other citizens in LA? No due process involved at all, just a subjective evaluation by someone imposing their unelected, illegitimate authority over other, likewise regular people?

I realize that LA is most likely not alone in having such an unAmerican system in place, but I would never live in such a lawless environment as that, and also won't visit or spend my tourist dollars in such a jurisdiction.

Weird stuff passes for "pro-gun" in this country these days.

Blues

That's kinda messed up. The instructor I had years ago is also a LGS and range owner. I visit the range on a fairly routine bases, buy ammo, the occasional gun, holster, etc., etc. I see many other people in the store/range in the same situation. Is he going to risk loosing a good cash paying customers if their shooting deteriorates to the point it is 'questionable'.

As long as I make the renewal application before it expires (or within 30 days after), it is just a paperwork process. Beyond that you have to take the course again.

That's some scary stuff right there. Just plain ol', un-sworn citizens can deny the fundamental rights of other citizens in LA? No due process involved at all, just a subjective evaluation by someone imposing their unelected, illegitimate authority over other, likewise regular people?

I realize that LA is most likely not alone in having such an unAmerican system in place, but I would never live in such a lawless environment as that, and also won't visit or spend my tourist dollars in such a jurisdiction.

Weird stuff passes for "pro-gun" in this country these days.

Blues

Stay away. You wouldn't appreciate some of the best fishing and hunting on the planet.

Louisiana has an open-carry law, no permit required. But concealed carry requires a permit. In order to get a ccw permit, a licensed NRA and state licensed instructor conducts 9 hours of classroom lecture and some time at the range for more instruction, practice and shooting at silhouette targets. Permits are good for 5 years then a refresher course must be signed off by an instructor. If some sick old geezer who is clearly unsafe with a firearm applies for his permit or renewal the instructor won't pass him.

There's a bill before the Governor to sign a law making constitutional carry legal in Louisiana but he probably won't sign it because it would mean lost revenues from the fees to get a ccw permit $225 plus the cost for the class about $125 plus ammo. And the wait time after classes and applying over the internet is currently running 4-1/2 months to receive your permit.

Stay away. You wouldn't appreciate some of the best fishing and hunting on the planet.

That's true, I wouldn't. I don't fish or hunt. And I don't spend my money where it's not wanted anyway. With regular ol' citizens just like me having authority over my ability to defend myself and my wife, the state has said they don't want my money.

....In order to get a ccw permit, a licensed NRA and state licensed instructor conducts 9 hours of classroom lecture and some time at the range for more instruction, practice and shooting at silhouette targets. Permits are good for 5 years then a refresher course must be signed off by an instructor. If some sick old geezer who is clearly unsafe with a firearm applies for his permit or renewal the instructor won't pass him.

Don't forget, someday, if you're lucky, you'll be a sick old geezer too. You should still have the ability to defend yourself, but beyond that, you should never be denied your constitutional protections of due process before your rights, any rights, can be denied on the whim of another civilian just like you.

There's a bill before the Governor to sign a law making constitutional carry legal in Louisiana but he probably won't sign it because it would mean lost revenues from the fees to get a ccw permit $225 plus the cost for the class about $125 plus ammo. And the wait time after classes and applying over the internet is currently running 4-1/2 months to receive your permit.

Thanks for the info. Now I have even more reasons to stay away. Takes at most, five minutes to get my permit renewed. Issued on the spot as long as I go to the Sheriff's Office. One can mail the application in, but I never have, so I don't know how long that takes. Certainly not more than four months, I'm reasonably sure of that. Cost varies between counties, but mine is $20 bucks a year with the applicant's choice to renew in one-year increments up to five years, so $100 bucks for five compared to over $350 (plus ammo) in LA. No "training" requirements here, as if 36 rounds fired downrange equals "training" to begin with. Yeah, I know, I read the requirements that I posted earlier. Nine hours of classroom training that many people sit through just like traffic school to take points off your record after getting a ticket, is neither an effective way to disseminate much-needed information, or a good method for making sure the "trainee" retains the little bit of good information that might be included in the classes.

All that said, while AL is far better for getting permits than the vast majority of other states, I still resent the heck out of having to ask permission of government to exercise a right that specifically prohibits government from infringing on. That's why I open carry the majority of the time, but that presents its own problems with school zones in particular, so I keep my permit active. It's bad enough to have to ask government for the permit. If I had to ask a civilian just like me, who could simply deny because he doesn't like the cut of my jib, I'd move is all I'm sayin'. If you're thinking that the hoops you have to jump through in LA can in any way be described as "pro-gun" or "pro-Second-Amendment," remember the old saying that, “The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.”

Blues

If you're thinking that the hoops you have to jump through in LA can in any way be described as "pro-gun" or "pro-Second-Amendment," remember the old saying that, “The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.”

Blues

AMEN brother.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back