I have narrowed my choices

mwhals

I have narrowed my choices of a CCW gun to:

1. 1911 (Ruger and S&W)
2. M&P .40 shield
3. Ruger SP101 4.2" .357

I have actually thought I could get a SP101 and M&P shield for similar money to one SW1911sc. That would give me a revolver with 38+P and .357 Magnum flexibility with a .40 semi automatic. The semi auto might be good for summer carry while the SP101 would be an easy winter carry. I still need to handle them in the gun store, which I hope to visit tomorrow or Wednesday. A friend has the M&P .40 shield and will let me try it.

When I get to the local gun shop, I may find something else that fits my hand better. I am looking forward to it. I plan to pick up a 12 gauge pump action shotgun with an 18.5" barrel too for home defense. Hollow point .357 rounds would also be good and eliminate the penetration from going through the bad guy.

Correct me if I am mistaken as it is very late on the East Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Nice... Must be exciting! I actually have a .357mag Chiappa Rhino and the Shield in 9mm, for basically the same reason... slimmer semi-auto for summer carry and .357 magnum for heavier winter and hiking carry. Love them both!

The guns you mention are good. However I think you should also consider a Glock. If you want a 40 cal, then maybe a 27 Gen 4 or a 23 Gen 4. The grip can be adjustrd, and you can switch the magazine release to the left side if your a lefty. Glocks are also considered one of the most dependable pistols on the market today. So before you spend your hard earned money, check out the Glocks.

I am not objective on this issue because my daily carry is a SW 1911. I love the .45 ACP round, it's slim (which is more of a factor to me than weight or barrel length) and there is that subjective cache of the 1911 platform.

Revolvers are too thick through the cylinder for my taste, and if you're going to poke a hole, poke a big one :)

I looked at the following today:

1. Glock 23
2. SW1911sc
3. Kimber 1911
4. Springfield Armory 1911
5. S&W M&P .40
6. SW1911TA

The SW1911sc felt really light compared to the SW1911TA and both fit my hand perfectly. The S&W M&P felt light compared to the SW1911sc and also felt good in the hand, but not as well as the SW1911sc.

I thought the Kimber 1911 was very similar to the Smith and Wesson and very similarly priced, but I would prefer Ruger or Smith and a Wesson.

The Glock 23 felt really good in my hand too, but not as good as the SW1911sc.

The selection of Rugers was very slim, so I didn't get to handle any that had my interest.

I do want to shoot my friend's M&P before making a purchasing decision.

Rent the guns you are interested in at the range (if possible), and feel recoil and overall handling. If not possible, you've still got a head start by researching and asking questions.

No ranges around me rent any of them or any guns. A friend has the M&P and my dad has a 30+ year old 1911, which is the best I can do.

As a Retired Army Officer and a long time shooter of 1911's I consider it the best. Mine is a Colt Combat Commander which I have had for over 30 Years and it is still in its original condition.
Some may laugh but my back-up and a some times primary carry is a 1903 Colt Hammer-less Auto in .32 ACP and with Silver tip ammo it may not be a man stopper but will get your attention in a serious way. I am not a revolver person but the S&W makes the best I think.

Even with the xds recall I still like them. BUT, I'm a huge 1911 fan. Would this be your first 1911? If so then those choices would fit the bill just fine in that price range. You might also look at Para Ordnance or Sti international if your still deciding. They both have lifetime warranties and great customer service. Good luck and enjoy

Even with the xds recall I still like them. BUT, I'm a huge 1911 fan. Would this be your first 1911? If so then those choices would fit the bill just fine in that price range. You might also look at Para Ordnance or Sti international if your still deciding. They both have lifetime warranties and great customer service. Good luck and enjoy

It would be my first 1911 and first hand gun. I have handled hand guns and fired them, but never owned one as I consider a shotgun better for home defense.

Decisions, decisions. I can see many in my future and it will be like father like son as my dad had and still has many guns.

It would be my first 1911 and first hand gun. I have handled hand guns and fired them, but never owned one as I consider a shotgun better for home defense.

I agree, you cannot go wrong with S&W. I love my M&P 9mm, M&Pc 9mm, and M&P Shield 9mm. Used to carry my 1911, but my hands are getting old and having problems so had to move down to 9mm. You cannot go wrong with the M&P in any caliber.

I think Smith and Wesson, Glock and Ruger are good manufacturers.

I am thinking that maybe I should start small and work up to a little larger size for CCW. I do really like the SW1911sc, but am wondering if a S&W M&P Shield would be a better first CCW and hand gun? I do have the advantage of starting in winter, so a 1911 would be easy to CCW at the start. IfI find it too large for summer, I can get the second hand gun.

I also think the Ruger sp101 3" or 4.2" would be a good first gun to be followed up by a 1911 in a few months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back