I can't decide on which gun I want

daniel804

At Cabelas they have a rock island Commander size 1911 a glock 19 and a walther ppq I can't decide with one to get I'm looking for a good concealed carry weapon I can only buy one

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Glock 19! It is the smallest and lightest of all three with the highest capacity. The Glock 19 Gen 4 comes with 3 15-round magazines and does take the 17-round Glock 17 magazines as well. It is the easiest firearm to maintain, disassemble, and to repair (if ever needed). Its only downside are the OEM sights. They are retarded.

However, there are tons of aftermarket options out there from Trijicon, Ameriglo, XS and many others. Here is my reasoning about the sights I have on my Glock 19 right now, the Ameriglo TCAP: Good Bye XS Big Dots. Find the Ameriglo TCAP sights here. I highly recommend to buy any replacement sights from Link Removed. The Ameriglo TCAP sights cost $67, for example, with free shipping. Installation should be done by someone who knows what they are doing and preferably has a Glock sight tool. This may cost you an additional $10-$20.

Try to find a real gun store. Cabelas is generally overpriced by at least $50. Gun stores in my area have the Glock 19 Gen 4 for $540 or slightly lower. Cabelas seems to have it for $590.

A 1911 is not usually considered a good choice for CC, due to the size, being harder to conceal. There are many choices in smaller guns in the same caliber that are easy to conceal. Most manufacturers off at least 2-3 in several calibers. Then there are the compacts that are designed for concealment. The thing is with them you are usually talking about a smaller magazine, which = less ammo available, unless you carry multiple magazines.

A 1911 is not usually considered a good choice for CC, due to the size, being harder to conceal. There are many choices in smaller guns in the same caliber that are easy to conceal. Most manufacturers off at least 2-3 in several calibers. Then there are the compacts that are designed for concealment. The thing is with them you are usually talking about a smaller magazine, which = less ammo available, unless you carry multiple magazines.
I carry a 1911 for EDC. I trained on them, clean my guns frequently, and like the set up and caliber for a smaller firearm. It was a finicky break in but is now rock solid. I also have strikers and it's just a personal decision.

The Place To Be

I carry a 1911 for EDC. I trained on them, clean my guns frequently, and like the set up and caliber for a smaller firearm. It was a finicky break in but is now rock solid. I also have strikers and it's just a personal decision.

The Place To Be
I agree as I have a para 45 and with a good holster you can conceal and the weight will not be a problem, but do your homework on holsters.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Here is a guy that carries a 1911 that I have the utmost respect for:

A 1911 for carry needs to be a high-end firearm, which you can't find for the amount of money a Glock 19 costs with upgraded sights. For example, the Clint Smith Signature Government Model is custom made, has a wait time on it, and will cost you.

A 1911 for carry needs to be a high-end firearm

Who fed you that line of crap?

I currently carry a Glock 19 but I carried an absolutely stock 410$ Rock Island Armory 1911 for years and I know several people who do so now.

Who fed you that line of crap?

I currently carry a Glock 19 but I carried an absolutely stock 410$ Rock Island Armory 1911 for years and I know several people who do so now.

This opinion is based on what I see in classes. It is the same opinion that some well known instructors have, based on what they see in classes. I have seen 1911s in classes that start producing a ridiculous number of malfunctions or have the safety freeze up completely. 1911s that run well are typically custom guns that are well maintained.

This opinion is based on what I see in classes.

My opinion is based on my experience which includes real people shooting at me. Although to be fair I have never engaged a target with a handgun, in fact I would say I've killed far more people with a radio than with any firearm at all.

I won't disagree that some 1911 manufactures (including the high end guys) suck but the basic design is sound and will serve you well in combat.

Perhaps you should get some actual experience on a 2 way range before you come her pontificating about what works in a gunfight

My opinion is based on my experience which includes real people shooting at me. Although to be fair I have never engaged a target with a handgun, in fact I would say I've killed far more people with a radio than with any firearm at all.

I won't disagree that some 1911 manufactures (including the high end guys) suck but the basic design is sound and will serve you well in combat.

Perhaps you should get some actual experience on a 2 way range before you come her pontificating about what works in a gunfight

It's not about the design, but about the build quality that is required to make the design work properly. Most 1911s can be made run very well, hence the huge custom market. The 1911s I see in classes that don't fail do have some money put into them, hence my comment about high end.

So, you never engaged a target with a handgun, but pontificate about what works in a gunfight with a handgun. Look in the mirror!

Bottom line I've actually been there and you're a tacticool Timmy wannabe.

Right, you have experience in something that is outside of the topic of discussion, which makes your argument somehow valid. What a unique way to pull the "I have been there" card! But hey, insults always validate arguments, right? LOL.

1911s that run well are typically custom guns that are well maintained.
I've been shooting Colt 1911's for over 60 years and they have all run well. Never anything custom about any of them, simply well maintained.

I've been shooting Colt 1911's for over 60 years and they have all run well. Never anything custom about any of them, simply well maintained.

That's a different story. I am talking about new 1911s. They simply don't make them the way they used to be!

That's a different story. I am talking about new 1911s. They simply don't make them the way they used to be!
Not to be argumentative, however, my "new" 1911's, Colt, Remington, Ruger, S&W, all purchased within the past five years and nothing custom about any of them, all run just as well as my older Colts.

If the 1911 design were an inherently flawed design they wouldn't be so popular 100 years later.

Like all other handguns (except the really high end ones) a given 1911 is nothing more than a collection of parts. The slid is made in one part of the factory, the barrel in another. Some parts are even contracted out to a third party vendor. That pile of parts doesn't become a 1911 (or a Glock) until it gets to assembly.

The parts should all be made to ISO 9001 specs but even then you're bound to get some tolerance stacking and you get your occasional lemon. (I even got a lemon from CZ and they are renowned for their quality). In general a company that's known for producing crap either improves their quality or goes out of business.

Bottom line, for you to dismiss all 1911's (except the high end ones) as junk is ignorant and for you to dismiss the experience of people who have actually carried 1911's is arrogant

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back