How to check if a handgun was ever registered

bvette

I was left a handgun by a friend who passed away. How can I find out if this gun was ever registered, and what do I need to do now since I own the gun? I want to stay within the laws of my state, which is Ohio.

I'm not familiar with the laws in your state but in S.C. we don't have to registar our firearms.

I haVE a couple that I would like to check on the background so I'm interested in any answer you get.

I'm not familiar with the laws in your state but in S.C. we don't have to registar our firearms.

I haVE a couple that I would like to check on the background so I'm interested in any answer you get.

same here on both accounts. inherited some from my dad.

might run a check on the serial number?
my gun is not registered either but i'm in florida
hope you get the answers you looking for

In Ohio there is no registration of handguns or long guns. There is no license needed to purchase or posses any gun. A license is only needed to carry concealed. As long as you are not a prohibited person and the gun is in Ohio you are within Ohio law.

REGARDING "RUN A CHECK" on a serial number.

How would one do this?

I would like every firearm owner, intentional or accidental, to realize that every time you give a serial number to some entity to "check" a number, they add it, along with your name, probably phone, address & panty size to THEIR information. It's now THEIRs because YOU gave it to them. You would waste your time in asking for them to give it back, delete it, etc.

I would still like to know how "one" would go about running a check on a serial number. The only "check" I would "run" on my ONE firearm, is if I could look through a listing of other numbers without giving any information from my end.

GUNSMOAK.com

a quick google .......

''After this there are really two things that you can do to run a gun serial number search. The first thing you can do is to look at a government or criminal apprehension site that is tied to your state. An example of this is the BCA or Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. The state of Florida has a website like this that is very easy to navigate. You will need to check with the state that you reside in to see which of their websites will help you with this, or you can search online and try and find the info yourself by digging around a bit. Once you find the site really all you need to do is go to the appropriate page and input the serial number and do a search.

If you don't have the ability to do a gun serial number search in the state that you live you will have to go in person to do it. This can either be done many times by a local firearms dealer or by contacting the sheriff or police where you live to do an extensive search of the gun serial number.

Make certain the you check these things out and try and do a gun serial number search before purchasing a used gun from someone other than a licensed dealer. You don't want to end up spending the money for a gun only to have it taken away because it was involved in a crime or was reported stolen.

Read more: How to Run a Gun Serial Number Search | eHow.com How to Run a Gun Serial Number Search | eHow.com

We do not have to register rifles, shotguns, or handguns here. Other than private sales have to do a background check. Private sales aren't required to even record who the gun was sold to. Like most here, I have guns from father, grandfather, uncles, etc. None are registered. If asked they won't exist, it's none of their business.

Checking a serial number is a real hit or miss thing. There is no central data base, at least in Ohio. If it was stolen (in the past) and resold, it's yours. The only way for the victim to get a gun back is if it is recovered from the perpetrator. Otherwise they (their insurance) would have to buy it back from the buyer if the buyer agreed to that.

Ok, wow, it seems many of you would like to know if registered but would not want to register your guns either. My comment may not be popular but - I would like all guns registered in a very private method like Social Security - The law abiding individuals have nothing to fear, I am sure. And we already register vehicles, ourselves in a Passport, CCW's must be registered, FFL's register their inventory and all sales, we have hunting licenses, drivers licenses, all kinds of insurances and more..... why not register guns. I would hope it would help capture the criminals and give support to the law abiding gun owners.

I don't keep a list, but many countries have historically used registration to confiscate weapons and then commit genocide against some group or groups. Do a google search and you will see why most gun owners resist registration at all costs!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back