How many times have you been pulled/ticketed?

jethrodull

So, the last time I posted a question, I was ridiculed for it. Asking if you had contemplated being pulled over to see what would happen. That's ok, I don't mind all that. Now, I'm wondering how often you've been pulled over/ticketed? In my 30+ years since college, my answer is 0/0.

J

once for speeding in georgia passing through to get back home to florida
once for not having my son in a seat belt when the new seat belt law came out
pulled over once for a tail light out
traffic scamera cost me 270.00 ;( light turned red as i went through it total ******** to have to pay that for doing what any prudent person would have done under the circumstances that one really burnt my ass and pocket too

Pulled over twice, ticketed twice. I keep hearing a lot of stories on how LEOs don't ticket those with cc, but I have yet to experience that.

I get pulled over about 3-5 times a year. I am asst. fire chief in an area used as a training post for State Troopers. I might have a lead foot sometimes but I am flat moving if cardiac, breathing problem, or structure fire with unknown vacancy.
I was fire chief for 5 years and all the Troopers that have been around a while know my truck.

In 56 years of driving I have had four tickets, two in speed traps, one for going 3 miles over the speed limit, and one last year for going 35 in a 25 school Zone. Talking too much and not paying attention, but pay I did at traffic court. Guilty as sin. There was a few times I deserved a ticket but lucky me no cops were around.

I've been legally driving stick since the day I turned 14. No accidents and never had to pull over.

Pulled to many times to count, ticketed twice, won one lost one in court. Then 12 years ago found out about electronic countermeasures, no tickets and no stops since then, even while driving a bright red corvette and averaging WELL over the PSL for the last five years.

I want absolutely NOTHING to do with the police. I therefore do what I can to avoid having encounters with them. That includes:
  • avoiding dubious places and the people who congregate in them.
  • obeying the traffic and drug laws.
  • avoiding being intoxicated in public, or in the company of those who are.
I've had approximately 3 1/2 "encounters" with police in the last fifteen years or so:

1. An inadvertent exposure of my firearm in which a Rocky River cop demonstrated both his ignorance of the ORC and his fifth grade ego.
  2. Being stopped on the way home from work when almost home because my "automatic" headlights decided not to be automatic under bright street lights.
  3. Being stopped for driving across a main street into a side street from a mall, where there are signs with turning arrows, but no explicit prohibition on going straight into that street. The cop tried to get me to notify when NOT carrying (NOT required by law). I refused.
  4. Being FALSELY cited as a witness to an on the job fight by my mentally unstable team lead. When contacted by police for a statement I refused to speak to them without benefit of counsel. I provided a written statement to my attorney who then sat on it until the police lost interest. I in fact had NO direct contact with the police and consider it a 1/2 an encounter, and by proxy at that.

I'm always puzzled by people who complain about police encounters, but insist upon violating the traffic laws or having questionable associations and choices of hangouts, precipitating repeated encounters.

A few years ago in another forum, a guy posted his bad encounter with a PA cop. The poster led off his story by stating that he was in a bar with "a history of drug crime and violence". My immediate question was why he was KNOWINGLY in that kind of place.

I got my Ohio CHL to defend myself from the unlawful use of deadly force, NOT to get out of speeding tickets.

Not breaking the law won't guarantee that you won't have contact with the police. In fact, I've been in at least one "pretext" traffic stop based WHOLLY on a LIE by a cop. That being said, you have FEWER police encounters when you don't do things which precipitate them.

And simple logic says, the fewer police encounters you have, the fewer BAD police encounters you'll have.

Pulled over 4-5 times in the last 10 years, never ticketed, maybe the cops around here are just more lenient. Although to be fair to the averages one of those times I was pulled over by my neighbor. 3 of them were since I turned 21 and got my CWP however, twice for speeding (about 10mph over each time as I recall), and once for burned out rear lights, but I doubt the CWP was a reason, I was carrying each time, they did not ask and I did not tell.

I was ticketed once for an accident when I was 16, when going around the corner a heavy bag of books slid off the bench seat of my old dodge pickup and knocked into my legs and dislodged the shifter from gear, and in my inexperience I took my eyes off the road, swerved into the oncoming lane (didn't hit anyone luckily) and jerked the wheel back the other way landing my truck stuck on top of a large boulder on the side of the road. Wasn't pulled over by the cop but since I was stuck there he stopped and decided to write me a ticket after helping to dislodge the truck from the boulder.

Too many times to even remember. :( But I was guilty as heck of speeding, every time. God is good. I've been blessed with old age and wisdom. I now pay close attention to the speed limit and other traffic laws. :)

Pulled over 1, ticketed 0. Was accused of doing 73 in a 55 when I was actually only doing 50 (still accelerating from coming around a corner). Got away with a "warning". Always have wondered if he was really that incompetent or if he was looking for someone/on a fishing expedition.

I'm always puzzled by people who complain about police encounters, but insist upon violating the traffic laws or having questionable associations and choices of hangouts, precipitating repeated encounters.

Reminds me of a true story I heard on the news a few years back. (Imagine why this one stuck in my head).

Kid was pulled over for speeding 90mph on the freeway.

Turns out, he wasn't old enough to even have a license!

So where did he get the car? Yup, fresh stolen.

But it gets even better, because he had a pistol under the seat

... and an illegal substance in the console.

It was like he was trying to win the Felony Olympics or something!

My first thought was, if you're doing all that illegal cr@p, why on earth would you be going that far over the speed limit in the first place?!!!

Been driving since 1974, have had four speeding tickets, 1977, 1986, 1992, and 2011. Been pulled over and let off a few other times, I always traveled with my Class "A"s hanging in the back seat of the car when I was in the Army, really saved me a couple of times. Got pulled over a few times 3-4am when I worked at night and lived in the sticks and drove on popular "drinking roads". "Sorry Mr. Frank, didn't realize that was you".

I seldom break the speed limit anymore, just wasn't paying attention on the 2011 ticket, the limit had changed to 45 and I didn't realize it. I usually put my cruise control just under the speed limit.

Been driving legally since the I met the age criteria way too long ago, before that illegally when I managed to reach the controls, that been a car, tractor, airplane or boat.....always been a speed freak, the faster the better ! that been said now that I am allegedly a mature grown up with serious responsibilities I understand the importance of obeying the laws and repercussions of not doing so....Nevertheless from time to time I tend to forget that my ride doesn't have flaps or speed brakes and casually incur in the 3-digits zone. During the last 20 years I haven't have any accidents whatsoever but I've been ticketed twice for speed, the first one was for doing 8 over the limit and the cop hated my ride and show no leniency at all but it was my mistake and he was only doing his job. The second time was a little bit more dramatic due to the fact that they got me using air support, as I was tooling along @ 3-digits I spotted the troopers down the road and immediately slowed down and took the first exit but they were waiting for me and blocked the road completely, the officer approached my vehicle and asked me where I was going so fast that not even their airplane could keep up with me, a Cessna 172 ! Long story short, at that point I was thinking about calling my attorney because I was definitely going to jail....it turned out to be my lucky day because the officer really liked my ride and after a long conversation he was nice enough to reduced my posted speed to a less antisocial number which surely kept me from getting arrested that day. That was about 7 years ago and since that day I've slowed down considerably, if I want to go really fast I go to the track or take it to the air. Leo's are human too and I have great respect for them and what they do, not looking to make their job any harder or endanger anybody, just play it safe..... LOL

Also, too many stops to count. Most due to accident or speeding or stopped because head light/tail light or license plate light was out. Almost all were very professional and treated me with respect. The number of actual tickets, not warnings, leading to fines or court appearances are few. I attest that to the fact I always treat the LE with respect, produce documents promptly and, if asking questions of the LE, do so politely. I expect the officer to be a professional and interact with him in that way. I have found them very helpful and not just out to increase their ticket count. From 20+ mph over in Idaho when IHP was "tuning the forks" on their radar and signalling me to stop from 1/4 mile away to school zone violations. I always knew speed violations were valid even though most resulted only in warnings and appreciated warnings from HP about equipment malfunctions.
- When stopped by a local LE when I was trying to get around a construction zone, he got out his map to show me how I could avoid the hazard since I drove through that area every day to work. One HP even gave me a lift to the hospital after an accident when I suffered a broken nose and saved me the ambulance cost. Any final amounts I paid on tickets were minimal charges or less than $50. I have not been stopped since receiving my CCL. I was told by my Kansas CCL Instructor who is KHP that state law does not require disclosing carrying unless asked by LE and he advised not to volunteer unless asked.

I've been driving for 49 years, and while I drive much slower than I did when I was younger, I've been stopped twice in the last two years for excessive speed, neither time resulted in a ticket. Both stops were for exceeding a 30 mph posted speed by approximately 8 mph. The first time was from my ignorance and lack of limit signage, the second was my fault for not being aware of my speed. Since I've started to carry I usually make every effort to obey all traffic laws. If you make a habit of continually breaking traffic laws, sooner or later you will wind up getting the book thrown at you by an officer who disagrees with you right to carry a concealed. Either obey laws or stay away from the areas you can't or won't. If you are stopped don't make excuses, lie, or be sarcastic. Comply with the law and be respectful, even if it is a one way street.

As a kid, 16 stops, 12 tickets. 3 breaks came from MA State Troopers, one ticket from a pair of troopers who thought my shiny used 1985 Z28 must have been from me dealing drugs. I was 19. Tore my car apart and then gave me a ticket for speeding, which I was. My radar detector was off. 12 tickets were all from my town cops. 10 of which were from one particular cop. Some were legit, most were the mentality of our department at the time. My town was one of the ones people didn't drive through because of the harassment. I myself followed a pretty straight line, just a heavy foot. My older and younger brothers put me in a class that got me harassed. Anyway....since 1991 I have been stopped half a dozen times, all while carrying and never got a ticket. I let three know i was carrying. I ran a red light once and got stopped. I was caught, it turned red just as I pretty much touched the line to enter the intersection. I saw the cop about ten cars back to my left put on his lights. I pulled over and waited for him to get to me. He asks if I know the reason and I say I ran the light. He smiles and says I will be right back. I lean out the window and say hey, you aren't going to give me a ticket are you? He stops and says excuse me! I repeat. He laughs and says I will tell you what, if you have no warrants or any recent tickets I will give you a verbal. Just caught him off guard I guess. Got my verbal. Ahh memories

Pulled over once and ticketed. Passing a small town, speed limit dropped from 55 to 45, so I slowed. There was a 30 mph sign very shortly after the 45 that I missed because I looked down to see my speedometer when slowing to 45, by the time I looked up, I had already passed the 30 sign, so they were very close. This was a belt-line county highway, not through town or anything. No residences or businesses on either side of the road. I was really surprised when I saw the lights in my mirror.

Officer was very nice. Actually even drove me back to show me the second sign. He even commented "Yeah, they're pretty close together". Once I saw the sign, it was obvious that I was speeding and got the ticket. I should have been paying a little more attention.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back