How many pocket knives is too many?

Kasper

I ask this question due to what I was told by HR. I was told that carrying 4 pocket knives was unusual and seen as a concern for a TOV(Threat of Violence). Being that they are pocket knives and I have 4 pockets I fail to see what the concern is. The four knives I had where all under the legal size limit for carry. All but one was 2.5 inches and the one that was not was 3.5 inches.

So I am curious to see if I am the only one who carries more then one pocket knife. As I explained they each had a purpose for me to carry them. One I use for food, one for cutting wire and the other two were spares . Cause someone will ask to borrow your knife and you don't want to give them your expensive knife so you hand them the $5 throw away knife you don't care about.

From a personal stand point I agree. But honesty I can see your company's perspective. My advice would be to comply with their wishes before they make it an issue which puts you on the radar and thus on the defense instead of just another quality employee. If something were to occure later that would call into question your intentions you would have little ground to stand on. Just my 2 cents...

From a personal stand point I agree. But honesty I can see your company's perspective. My advice would be to comply with their wishes before they make it an issue which puts you on the radar and thus on the defense instead of just another quality employee. If something were to occure later that would call into question your intentions you would have little ground to stand on. Just my 2 cents...

If out isn't against their policy, their official published policy, then they have no reason to even say anything to him about it.

Personally, I don't see the point of 4 knives but to each their own. I have always carried one, including throughout high school. You always need a good knife.

You're company's perspective is beyond retarded. I mean that in the harshest sense, as a defense against STUPIDITY itself. The idea that anyone could be MORE violent with 4 knives than a "normal" number of knives is a blatant abandonment of thought itself. Were you caught with a whirly-gig device that can somehow wield multiple blades to inflict extra violence? Or, more likely, are you a trusted employee that has no inclination to murder (with a whirly-gig device)? I live in Texas and very recently the law has changed to prevent employers from disarming employee's just because they must park in a particular place. So, I looked up my company policy... It was SO vague, that it probably doesn't need to change, BUT, it also said that the only restricted knives are "illegal" knives, and in Texas a folding knife 5.5 inches or less is LEGAL. You should contact a Knife Rights - Home, maybe you have a case.

Some (a lot of) companies won't even let you carry one of those 1 inch swiss army knives anymore. How did anyone find out you had that many? Really, I'd go looking for another job, because they're now looking for an excuse. Figure that your on the next downsizing list, no matter what.

I am kind of curious how you carrying 4 pocket knives came to the attention of management?

And personally I do not see the issue as a problem as you described the situation.

But in the age of the politically correct, I have known people to get fired over the wrong context of such issues. One instance which comes to mind was from a place where I was employed as an engineer. An employee jokingly said he would shoot a raccoon before work and bring raccoon stew to a company potluck function. A lady complained over the issue and he was hauled into the office and reprimanded for his comment. Management's issue was he didn't have a right to discuss anything concerning a firearm as such conversation put other employees in a "state of fear".

I carry at two as a minimum. I have a Link Removed and a Kershaw Shallot 1840 that I always carry. There are times that I may add some or all of the following: Kershaw Leek 1660, a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD, a Link Removed, a Link Removed, and a Link Removed.

It all depends on where I am going and what I am planning on doing. If I am going somewhere that I cannot carry my firearm, but I can carry the a knife, then I'll load up on the knives, especially the Kershaws and the Gerber Gator. I think of it like I do conceal carry, if it is in your pocket (if the knife is legally concealable), then what they don't know won't hurt them. The Gator I carry on my belt in the pouch that came with it, the others are either in my pocket or clipped to the side of a pocket.

The Super Tool and the Squirt E4 are tools and cannot be (under normal circumstances) be used as a defensive weapon.

The biggest thing is can you justify the reasons for needed the knives that you carry. The one of the two main knives that I carry was frowned upon by the district manager at my work. He said that the Kershaw Shallot was not a knife that I needed to carry at work and it could only be used as a weapon. I showed how I could use it at work as a tool and I am allowed to carry it.

Lets see, I carry a Boker Top Lock automatic and a gerber tool on my belt and have one of the small Swiss Army pen knives on my key chain. Plus the flat tool in my wallet so I am also GUILTY of carrying 4 at a time!

The answer is simple.

Cut back to 2 knives (maybe even one knife and a multi-tool) and tell the moochers that want to borrow a blade that they need to tote their own.

carrying 4 knives at once

The answer is simple.

Cut back to 2 knives (maybe even one knife and a multi-tool) and tell the moochers that want to borrow a blade that they need to tote their own.

jtg452 has it exactly right: you can certainly justify 1 knife for practical purposes, but not likely 4--especially if your job is on the line.

As for the others 3 knives, your boss will likely ask you:
How often do you use your wire knife to cut wire? And if you cut wire that often, why not use a wire cutter or multi-tool?
How often do people ask to borrow your knife? And why can't you just tell them you don't have one that they can borrow?​

As someone else said, to each his own. But when your boss is questioning what you do, you might want to rethink your EDC (at least for the time that you are work).

That's just my 2 cents.

Hope it works out for you.

I carry At LEAST 4 cutting instruments at all times and always have. Everyone where I work knows it. I pass through Security at least twice a day. Several are open carried on my body and obvious. I have been stopped by LE and ended up getting into discussions about the merits of the different items I carry. The biggest reason that I don't have a problem is that I am a known figure in the community and am considered one of the "good guys" because I have worked Emergency Services for over 31 years. A good reputation goes far in this world.

If your job wants you to carry pink flowers on duty instead of knives you have to so I would just comply and if you hate that you can't has 4 knives find a better situation to suit your love of blades

As a Police Officer I carry 2 and a multi-tool. Kershaw Rescue-Blur and a SOG Flash Tanto half serrated.
Off duty I carry 1, I have another SOG Flash Tanto half serrated and a Glock 26

I think, since you are asking, 4 is a bit of overkill.

Question: What do you do that would require you to carry 4 knives at a time? I put a small knife in my range bag, patrol bag, etc. But 4 knives on your person is way too many, regardless of how big they are.

And as asked before... How do they know that you have 4 knives?

As a Police Officer I carry 2 and a multi-tool. Kershaw Rescue-Blur and a SOG Flash Tanto half serrated.
Question: What do you do that would require you to carry 4 knives at a time? I put a small knife in my range bag, patrol bag, etc. But 4 knives on your person is way too many, regardless of how big they are.

WTF does it matter what he does? He wants to carry four knifes and that is his right. Our state just ended legal length laws so you can legally carry any size knife/sword you want. Also just ended the ban on carrying of Auto knifes,before only on duty LEO,EMT,FIRE,Military could carry them,but we could still own them. Representatives at the state house found legal length laws and a ban on switch blades to be wrong, got to love our state.

I say carry as many knifes as you want! Some guy in our state walks around with 4-5 handguns and his AR-15 pistol and a claymore sword on his back, and he walks down the street while doing it and he is legal.

Ask any diver. One knife is not enough. If you carry a knife on your left ankle to reach with your right hand, what happens if your right hand gets trapped while your're in an odd position or you drop one? Always have one available for either hand.

They knew because I was asked to pull them out of my pockets and because you can see the clip that holds them to my pockets. And as pointed out by boatme98 I want to know that no matter what I will have a knife available to which ever hand is free to grab it. As for the reason I carried four knives one was for cutting food like fruit and cheese, the other was for cutting what ever needed to be cut mainly wires and straps, the other two were spares and used for cutting wire that would have damaged my second knife. As most know someone will ask to borrow your knife and forget to return it or return it damaged. Sine where I worked you could not stand there waiting for them to hand your knife back to you. I bought two $5 knives that if someone damaged it or forgot to return it to me I would not care to much about it. As if they didn't return or damaged my $150 knife I would be more upset over it then a cheap $5 knife.

Since they are called pocket knives I have four pockets minimum on all of the pants I own two in the front and two in the rear so I don't see why having a knife in each pocket is cause for concern. As pointed out by boatme98 if you are only carrying one knife and the hand you use to reach it can't reach it for some reason you will be stuck till someone comes to help you. So by me having a knife in my four main pockets I am more likely to have access to a knife if I have one free hand.

The answer is simple.

Yes I could do that but I don't want to say no to someone who I have the ability to help.

Yes I could do that but I don't want to say no to someone who I have the ability to help.

And no good deed goes unpunished.

Your willingness to help (combined with your not wanting somebody to screw up expensive cutlery) got you into the situation. Now you have a choice to make- continue to do as you have been and face the consequences or change your habits. Personally, with my livelihood on the line, I'd cut the apron strings and let them fend for themselves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back