How many magazines per rifle

Warbirds

I'm curious..... How many magazines is sufficient per rifle?

I am still a little pissed at the prices i paid for magazines during the Clinton ban, so i ordered another dozen AR mags that i found for a decent price. How many just in case magazines are you holding onto our do you not worry?

It may sound dumb to do so but i found a lot of references to people doing so before the California bans went into effect in 2000. Best case scenario i don't have to buy mags for several years, worst case...... let's not go there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't really have a set number... but, I think I have about 30-35 7.62x39 AK mags, a dozen 5.45x39 AK mags, 20 or so AR mags, 5-6 SKS mags, 10-12 30rd & 10-12 15rd M1 Carbine mags, a dozen 30rd Thompson mags and IDK about total 1911 & M9 mags...

I have a couple 30cal. cans full of loaded SKS & Mosin stripper clips...

I see what treo is getting at with the extra springs & followers. Typically those will go bad before the actual mag will... however, mags break, bend and get dropped/lost in the "worst-case" kinda stuff. So, just buy both and you're good.

I'm impressed...... What 10/22 mags do you have.

Everything from el cheap-o to MGW. I highly recommend the Tacticlinc mags. IMHO they are the best you can get. I have put countless rounds through mine and they are pretty much the only ones I use anymore.

Everything from el cheap-o to MGW. I highly recommend the Tacticlinc mags. IMHO they are the best you can get. I have put countless rounds through mine and they are pretty much the only ones I use anymore.

I had been to that site before but never looked at their 10/22 mags. I mainly have butler creek plastic lip, el-cheapo black ones with steel lips that I hate and my newest addition is the BX-25 ones made by ruger. They also disassemble but are 10-15$ more than the ones you pointed out.

I am also trying to up my AR mag count, that is what I shoot most other than pistol so I need to up my stock.

I go with 5, and only 4 are kept loaded. 2 have practice ammo in them, 2 are loaded for combat, and 1 is empty, with stripper clips and charger, to be loaded as needed. You don't win civilian type stuff by missing a lot, the waythe military "beats off" attackers, until the choppers come in and shoot up the bad guys and extract the good guys. You have to get the hits. A loaded M16 mag, 30 rd aluminum, weighs 1 lb. A loaded Steel 20 rd 308 mag is 1.5 lbs. A loaded, 30 rd, steel AK mag is 2.2 lbs. So, 900 rds in 30 223 mags is 30 lbs. :) It takes at least 7 seconds to fire one, using semi auto, even if that's all at one man, at a mere 25 yds, with any hope of hitting him, fully exposed. It takes 2-3 seconds to swap mags, even if you have them lying beside you, "forted up". Men charge 50 yds, or more, dodging, going prone and rolling, every 10-15 seconds. So you are never going to make effective use of more than about 2 mags before your enemies kill you.

While you may "think" that you are going to have lots of friends helping you, it's rather easy to demonstrate that such thinking is bs.

An empty magazine when SHTF is about as useless as teets on a bull. Scenario: Hold on Mr. Agressor person, don't shoot, I'm still loading. :wacko: If you are using your rifle for just hunting, just a few are necessary. If you are gearing up for an apocalyptic society of anarchy and mass chaos, then get your hands on as many as you can and load every one of them.

Again, questions like these usually can be answered by first determining what your use of them is.

I had been to that site before but never looked at their 10/22 mags. I mainly have butler creek plastic lip, el-cheapo black ones with steel lips that I hate and my newest addition is the BX-25 ones made by ruger. They also disassemble but are 10-15$ more than the ones you pointed out.

I am also trying to up my AR mag count, that is what I shoot most other than pistol so I need to up my stock.

Buy just one Tacticlinc mag and use it you will not be disappointed I have 2 of the aluminum ones and 5 plastic ones I prefer the plastic.

just how many times do you "think" you can MISS and still win, against guys like US? :) There is a higher % of gun people here than any where in the world, by a factor of 10, at least. It won't be ignorant rice farmers or goatherds that you'll be facing, a month or 2 after shtf. The ignorant will all be dead already. Not one person in 1000 is properly prepped, so nearly everyone will have to be come a looter, and sooner, rather than later, too.

how many guys do you think will MISS YOU while you are hitting them? It took Audey Murphy 2 years of the toughest fighting ever seen to hit 241 men. You aint Audie, and you wont have bombs, artillery, or lots of buddies helping you, either. Audie was the first to admit that he survived by pure luck, many, many times.

If you are HITTING, there will be plenty of guns and ammo to pick up, lying beside dead men. You will HAVE to carry at least 30 lbs of other gear, at all times, on top of your guns and ammo, you know. There will be no choppers coming to help or extract you, minor injuries will probably result in your death, too, due to lack of modern med care. If you drop your "non-combat" gear, in a fight, you'll probably never get it back, and there will be "re-issue" via some Supply Sergeant. So you'd better rethink this bs about hundreds and hundreds of rds being "needed". Above ground buildings will all be searched, many times over.

At night, you certainly won't be hitting cover users beyond 100 yds, even with a laser target designator, or head on prone men past 200 yds, or those who are dodging. Very few men can do this in good light, with good ear protection and in good light. Men are going to over that 200 yds in less than one minute, even if gonig prone, using cover, dodging, etc, and you are not going to be getting more than maybe 20 hits in that time, no matter who you are. ONly fools will be attacking any "forts" or buildings in daylight. the minute you "open up", they will scatter-flee, and be back after dark. If you lack lots of rechargable batteries and a solar charger, your NVD'S won't last very long.

If you have no sound suppressor on your rifle, your night vision will be gone with the first shot that you fire, most likely. Have you got tritium sight inserts on your rifle? If not, you won't be hitting dodging men beyond 25 yds, at night. :) So you will be "overrun" or picked off, in pretty short order, actually. The tactic of choice is not to be out in daylight, if shtf. Then very little shooting will be required, and if most of it is not suppressed, subsonic shooting, from ambush, you will make it only by pure luck, the way 1 insect in 10,000 survives ANY sort of poison spray you put on them (of one type, anyway).

There will be almost no use for the pistol at ALL, if shtf. Everyone with any sense will keep a fighting autorifle on the assault sling. The pistol is quite inferior, even at a mere 10 yds, to the rifle, especially a sound suppressed M4. It is inferior to the shotgun and buckshot at 5 yds, especially if the enemy is using cover. When the pucker factor kicks in, you just miss the entire man too much at 20 ft, and miss the chest too much at 10 ft, with the pistol. Especially if you have no ear protection, the light is bad, and your loved one's brains are dripping off of your face, cause they were killed right beside you, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back