How long does it take for SLED to issue the CWP?

No, I used the terms I intended to use. I don't think the training is necessary, but it's also unrealistic and worthless.

I don't know about where you live, but there are areas of my house that are longer than 10 yards.

Have you heard of the Tueller drill?

Regardless, if the intent of the silly traing is to ensure that people are competent with their guns (that's what people keep telling me is the goal, although I don't buy it), at least make it realistic. You don't get to defend yourself in slow motion.

I think they based the requirements on the fact that the state was going to require certification, so they made it as easy as possible.

60 days SLED received my app on 7/11/13 just got my cwp today 9/11/13

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

Wow, if the current trend continues, the next thing you know, they will be issuing them in a reasonable time.
The guy that is teaching my SOC 491 (Sociology of Law Enforcement) class at Clemson is a Lieutenant with the Greenville Sheriff's Office and he and I have had a few discussions on a few different constitutional issues, one being the recent 14th/2nd amendment ruling in the McDonald v. Chicago case. After reading about the case we concluded that the most recent Supreme Court decision on the 14th amendment is that it binds the states to ALL 10 amendments in the Bill of Rights, rather than just the 4-6th amendments as was believed by the Incorporation Doctrine. So my next question for him next week is going to be, if the 14th amendment binds the states to abide by the 2nd amendment, and they cannot pass any law contradicting the 2nd amendment, then how do the states get away with permit requirements?

They get away with it because no one has yet to take them to task on it. The Bill of Rights only allows one to correct government action. It doesn't prevent it. Now, who has deep enough pockets to take SC to court to challenge the requirement to take training and get a permit before exercising their pre-existing rights as outlined in the Second Amendment? I'll donate a few bucks.

They get away with it because no one has yet to take them to task on it. The Bill of Rights only allows one to correct government action. It doesn't prevent it. Now, who has deep enough pockets to take SC to court to challenge the requirement to take training and get a permit before exercising their pre-existing rights as outlined in the Second Amendment? I'll donate a few bucks.
I'm in for at least $100 if somebody wants to go for it.

The problem I have with the idea of the Supreme Court is that all of our rights are based on the opinions of 9 individuals. That's a bit narrow of a margin to me.

Applied for renewal online June 25th received permit Sept 14th, was beginning to think they were not gonna make it in time, had already printed out copy of law extending permit if applied for and not received in time.

Received mine at the beginning of September on the 81st day after delivery confirmation. Waived application fee for disabled veteran, if that matters.

My father-in-law and I mailed our CWP apps back at the start of February. I sent mine priority so I could track it. It arrived at the SLED data center on 2/15/13. My father-in-law mailed his the same day and I assume his arrived within a day or two of mine. Neither of us have heard anything yet. There are a lot of rumors about SLED being back-logged, which makes sense. Is there a way to check, or do we just wait it out?

My renewal arrived 94 days after being received. When I called to get my "SLED received" date I was reminded to not carry concealed after my expiration date.

My renewal arrived 94 days after being received. When I called to get my "SLED received" date I was reminded to not carry concealed after my expiration date.

well whoever you talked to at SLED was a moron...cant even keep their own rules straight...

Link Removed

62.22. (CWP Renewal and Replacement) A concealed weapons permit may not be suspended by a state official, agent, or employee supported by state funds if the permit holder has initiated a renewal or replacement application and the processing and issuance of a renewal or replacement permit is delayed for administrative reasons. A concealed weapons permit remains valid during the pendency of the renewal or replacement process so long as the application for replacement renewal is submitted prior to the expiration of the permit.

well whoever you talked to at SLED was a moron...cant even keep their own rules straight...

Link Removed

62.22. (CWP Renewal and Replacement) A concealed weapons permit may not be suspended by a state official, agent, or employee supported by state funds if the permit holder has initiated a renewal or replacement application and the processing and issuance of a renewal or replacement permit is delayed for administrative reasons. A concealed weapons permit remains valid during the pendency of the renewal or replacement process so long as the application for replacement renewal is submitted prior to the expiration of the permit.

I've found that many people who are responsible for these gun laws aren't even aware of how they work themselves. I can't tell you how many LEOs I've come in contact with that swear up and down that you have to notify that you're carrying a gun when you give them your CWP when the law clearly states that you must only surrender your permit. I mean if you assumed that all CWP holders knew the law and knew that they only had to surrender their CWP when carrying on their person, then the fact that you're carrying should be implied and shouldn't need to be notified.

Looks like SLED is doing much better on issuing permits. Attended the class on Dec 7, mailed application on Dec 9. Received my permit on Jan 30, 52 DAYS....

SLED has up to 90 days to issue a permit to all qualified applicants, but more times than not they issue quicker. i took the class in may,sent all the material in july, then received the permit september 4th. it took less than 70 days for me.

SLED has up to 90 days to issue a permit to all qualified applicants, but more times than not they issue quicker. i took the class in may,sent all the material in july, then received the permit september 4th. it took less than 70 days for me.
Mine came back the week of the 90th day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back