How long does it take for SLED to issue the CWP?

draexo

My father-in-law and I mailed our CWP apps back at the start of February. I sent mine priority so I could track it. It arrived at the SLED data center on 2/15/13. My father-in-law mailed his the same day and I assume his arrived within a day or two of mine. Neither of us have heard anything yet. There are a lot of rumors about SLED being back-logged, which makes sense. Is there a way to check, or do we just wait it out?

I'm in Texas, and mine took exactly 3 months to the day. I've been told they are seriously backlogged. The class I took is booked 7 days a week for some ridiculous amount of time. People are afraid because of what congress and obama are doing about gun control laws! At least that's what I think!

I received one of the first ones issued in Wi. Took 17 days.
My non-resident from Az didn't take much longer.

My father-in-law and I mailed our CWP apps back at the start of February. I sent mine priority so I could track it. It arrived at the SLED data center on 2/15/13. My father-in-law mailed his the same day and I assume his arrived within a day or two of mine. Neither of us have heard anything yet. There are a lot of rumors about SLED being back-logged, which makes sense. Is there a way to check, or do we just wait it out?

(C) SLED shall issue a written statement to an unqualified applicant specifying its reasons for denying the application within ninety days from the date the application was received; otherwise, SLED shall issue a concealable weapon permit.

I'm in Texas, and mine took exactly 3 months to the day. I've been told they are seriously backlogged. The class I took is booked 7 days a week for some ridiculous amount of time. People are afraid because of what congress and obama are doing about gun control laws! At least that's what I think!

I received one of the first ones issued in Wi. Took 17 days.
My non-resident from Az didn't take much longer.

SC section, ladies.

90 days is the target for SLED.. One of the Jnuary 30, 2013 classes started getting their's the end of last week (May 8, 2013). It will be a copouple more weeks is my guess. I am still waiting on mine from a Feb 2 class. Hopefully sometime this week it will show up. There was a report last week or so that SLED is averaging over 7,000 CWPs a month since January. The FBI check of the finger prints is what takes the longest time to get returned from what I unsderstand.

By law they have 90 days and no more without giving you a reason. That's 90 days, not three months. If 5/15/13 isn't exactly 90 days or more after the arrival date then their reply will be "call us back after 90 days." After 90 days, you can harass the hell out of them. Generally though, they take exactly 90 days, especially considering the fact that their applications tripled in 2012 and I imagine 2013 is even worse. I did mine when demand was high but not insane like it is now, and I got it back a week or so before the 9th day.

Yes, they are backlogged and using the full 90 in a lot of cases from what I've hear. It also doesn't count mail delivery time (to or from). So if you have confirmation that it arrived at their facility on the 15th, you should probably wait 3 days for contacting them. I think there's a phone number somewhere on their website. You might have to dig. Remember, you catch more flies with honey.

Take the day you sent it in, add 2 days to get it there, 90 days to process it and 2 days to get it back. If it has been more than that, don't just sit around and wait. Get on their case. By law they are supposed to mail it 90 days after they receive it. Tell them you want to know when you are going to get it. Call (803) 896-7015. Stay on them, remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I will remember... the squeaky wheel gets the oil and you catch more flies with honey then vinegar.

There were 28 days in February and 31 in March. That makes May 16th my 90 day mark, if I have done my calculations correctly. So **IF** they mail it by the 16th, I should have it, by the 20th I would say.

I am getting anxious, though I just purchased a carry weapon, I can not seem to find a place to carry it! And thanks for the phone number!

I have a related question. How much land must one own in S. C. to qualify as a property owner? I would like to buy one square foot so I can be a land owner there and get a carry permit. Other than Maryland, which is a separate country, I can drive all the way to Florida except through S.C . I have an Arizona permit, which S.C. honors, but only if I reside in AZ, which I don't. Anyone know the "owner" requirements?

Mine took 87 days. I saw a news story about this. They were considering outing on an extra shift to deal with the backlog.

So why can't you drive through South Carolina? No problem if it is in your glove compartment, center console, or trunk.

I'm curious though, what exactly do they do that takes 90 days? If it takes 90 days (or at least close to it) whether they're getting tons of applications or very few, seems to me like they're just sitting on them for the hell of it.

I've had 2 from PA and one in Ohio. Those states are required to issue within 45 days. All 3 of mine took close to 45 days.
They are axxholes about it !

And speaking of the name SLED, since when is Carolina implied with the S? To me they should either be called South Law Enforcement Division, or they should change their abbreviation to SCLED.

And speaking of the name SLED, since when is Carolina implied with the S? To me they should either be called South Law Enforcement Division, or they should change their abbreviation to SCLED.

Because people would phonetically pronounce it, "SC Led", which might be a negative connotation. Might be more intimidating to criminals though. I don't think I'd want anyone that sounds like lead (as in the metal), coming after me.

SLED = State Law Enforcement Division

not according to their own website...

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is experiencing a tremendous influx of concealed weapon permit applications, both new and renewal. The applications are processed in the order in which they are received, starting from the date SLED actually receives the application. Processing is taking the full ninety days on both new and renewals. Please know that we are processing all applications as quickly as possible, while maintaining the quality of backgrounds required by law. Your patience is greatly appreciated during this time.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

SLED = State Law Enforcement Division
If that's the case then no one has ever called it that. Everyone always calls it South Carolina Law Enforcement Division when they use the long name...even SLED themselves. So I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back