How do you feel/react to "No Guns" signs?

See thread title.

• I ignore the sign. Conceaed means concealed.

Votes: 29 29.3%
  • I disarm and then enter.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I refuse to enter. Armed or not.

Votes: 48 48.5%
  • Breaking the owners rules violates their rights.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Breaking the owners rules does not violate their rights, only their rules.

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Every rule should be followed all of the time. No exceptions.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • It is okay to break some rules.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • A business owner has the right to make rules that violate a persons rights.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • A business owner does not have the right to make a rule that takes away my rights.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • All your base are belong to us.

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters
We have a bowling ally in town that posted a NO CONCEALED firearms sign,very large 18' x 18' . Soon I will O.C. in this business.

We have a bowling ally in town that posted a NO CONCEALED firearms sign,very large 18' x 18' . Soon I will O.C. in this business.

Are you anywhere close to VA? I'd like to be there to preserve that encounter on video. :biggrin:

And see how long it'll take mgmt to update the sign.
duh.gif

I did vote but I haven't been carrying long enough to really know what I do. I have purchased a small hard-sided pistol box with a padlock .......

It seems like a good idea to be proactive and let the business owners know that you are not going to use their business.

If you don't let them know then it won't be a problem for them.

I voted to ignore the signs, but I also don't enter those businesses that I know are anti-gun. For instance, this week I had to visit the doctor's office which is inside a hospital with a small "no weapons" sign. Since I wasn't going to have to remove clothing for this visit, I just concealed.

I haven't seen any "no guns" signs on businesses where I live, but have heard of others who have been asked to leave certain businesses in other cities. There aren't many, thank goodness. I don't go into the ones I know about such as Toys R Us or Costco.

Here in the Gunshine state those signs mean didlysquat. And are adhered to accordingly. :sarcastic:

I went into a mall the other day in Boston and was armed as usual. I did look at the entrance as I am now interested in who bans and who does not. Not seeing any type of sign in the least on the main entrance, I went in, had dinner with my family and while leaving later on I went out a small side door directly next to the main doors & revolving doors. On the side of the building on a little bitty sign there were some rules and concealed weapons were not allowed. It was pretty hidden from the public. Do they really expect someone to hunt around to find this little sign? I really don't think so. I think it is there so they can say "we have it posted" if there were to be an issue where you might have had reason to use your firearm. It is probably an insurance/liability thing (get out of jail free) card for the owners of the mall. If they don't want firearms in there, that's up to them but post it clearly so there is no question.

It seems like a good idea to be proactive and let the business owners know that you are not going to use their business.

If you don't let them know then it won't be a problem for them.

Agreed. Let them know. It is the ONLY way they are going to realize they are losing business..

I don't usually carry my gun so the sign wouldn't matter. If I am carrying I will abide by his wishes and not enter. I respect the rights of property owners. Perhaps he's scared of guns or believes all the hype from the anti's.

I'm sure he understands that criminals will always obey the law and will always abide by his wishes.

:no:

Here in the Gunshine state those signs mean didlysquat. And are adhered to accordingly. :sarcastic:

There are lawyers that would tell you otherwise. We don't have case law on it yet so YMMV. But then none of the places down here have the signs either.

Sure they can post that sign on their private business. And I have every right to take my hard earned money elsewhere and support a different private business that honors the rights of the people.

I also agree with the other posters, we need to let these business owners know that we will not be supporting their business and telling others to do the same.

I figure that if the store does not want me inside with my concealed firearm, they do not want me in there with my money either. I'll go elsewhere in that case.

... And I have every right to take my hard earned money elsewhere and support a different private business that honors the rights of the people. ...

Agree!

You work in construction or maybe ironworks or something like that? Good on 'ya, not too many jobs still being done the 'hard' way without benefit of a lot of mechanization to significantly reduce the manual labor required. I grew up the son of a rancher back when the ranch hands also worked mighty hard for their paychecks...10 - 12 hour days, mostly outside in the elements and nearly everything done by hand. Labor was cheap, mechanization expensive. Now those guys' kids, who are working on the family ranch today, cover the spread on ATVs versus horses, hay is stored in round bales and never touched by human hand versus square bales which had to be manually put away in barn mows, cattle barns are cleaned with a Bobcat loader instead of a pitchfork, fence mending is simplified, well you get the idea. Not to say those guys don't still put in long hours but they don't work a tenth as hard as their dads did.

Or me...who wears a coat & tie to work and sits at a desk; albeit, making daily decisions worth much more than the entire ranch grosses in a year. But I'd never say I work "hard." Smart maybe, but not hard.

I salute you Sir if you're earning a buck the hard way. Times sure were a lot simpler back when most people did.

I give the business owner a sign of my own.....

Link Removed

I have .doc files that can be edited so the info on the back matches your state laws. I'll be glad to post 'em if anyone wants 'em...

I don't like the use of the word "rule" vs "law". If the sign is posted in accordance with the law, then I observe that. I can choose to not go in and do business elsewhere. The legal notice is so few and far between where I live, that it hasn't been an issue. However, as a law abiding citizen, I will follow the law - that is my duty. If we can change the law, then great.

I don't like the use of the word "rule" vs "law". If the sign is posted in accordance with the law, then I observe that. I can choose to not go in and do business elsewhere. The legal notice is so few and far between where I live, that it hasn't been an issue. However, as a law abiding citizen, I will follow the law - that is my duty. If we can change the law, then great.

Just because a business owner sees fit to create a "rule" for patrons of his establishment, for example "ties must be worn"... doesn't mean the rule carries the weight of "law". You couldn't be arrested/persecuted/prosecuted, for not wearing a tie, but you could be asked to leave..... distinct difference.

Just because a business owner sees fit to create a "rule" for patrons of his establishment, for example "ties must be worn"... doesn't mean the rule carries the weight of "law". You couldn't be arrested/persecuted/prosecuted, for not wearing a tie, but you could be asked to leave..... distinct difference.

EXCELENT!!!

This is the LAW in my state:

Link Removed

Endorsement does not authorize concealed firearms, where--penalty for violation.
571.107. 1. A concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state. No driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

(1) Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol office or station without the consent of the chief law enforcement officer in charge of that office or station. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the office or station shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(2) Within twenty-five feet of any polling place on any election day. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the polling place shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(3) The facility of any adult or juvenile detention or correctional institution, prison or jail. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any adult, juvenile detention, or correctional institution, prison or jail shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(4) Any courthouse solely occupied by the circuit, appellate or supreme court, or any courtrooms, administrative offices, libraries or other rooms of any such court whether or not such court solely occupies the building in question. This subdivision shall also include, but not be limited to, any juvenile, family, drug, or other court offices, any room or office wherein any of the courts or offices listed in this subdivision are temporarily conducting any business within the jurisdiction of such courts or offices, and such other locations in such manner as may be specified by supreme court rule pursuant to subdivision (6) of this subsection. Nothing in this subdivision shall preclude those persons listed in subdivision (1) of subsection 2 of section 571.030 while within their jurisdiction and on duty, those persons listed in subdivisions (2), (4), and (10) of subsection 2 of section 571.030, or such other persons who serve in a law enforcement capacity for a court as may be specified by supreme court rule pursuant to subdivision (6) of this subsection from carrying a concealed firearm within any of the areas described in this subdivision. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any of the areas listed in this subdivision shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(5) Any meeting of the governing body of a unit of local government; or any meeting of the general assembly or a committee of the general assembly, except that nothing in this subdivision shall preclude a member of the body holding a valid concealed carry endorsement from carrying a concealed firearm at a meeting of the body which he or she is a member. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(6) The general assembly, supreme court, county or municipality may by rule, administrative regulation, or ordinance prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed firearms by endorsement holders in that portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by that unit of government. Any portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed firearms is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute, rule or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highways or rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of a firearm. The statute, rule or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute, rule or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building and if employees of the unit of government, be subjected to disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute, rule or ordinance. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any other unit of government;

(7) Any establishment licensed to dispense intoxicating liquor for consumption on the premises, which portion is primarily devoted to that purpose, without the consent of the owner or manager. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to the licensee of said establishment. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any bona fide restaurant open to the general public having dining facilities for not less than fifty persons and that receives at least fifty-one percent of its gross annual income from the dining facilities by the sale of food. This subdivision does not prohibit the possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the establishment and shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. Nothing in this subdivision authorizes any individual who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement to possess any firearm while intoxicated;

(8) Any area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the airport shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(9) Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law;

(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(11) Any portion of a building used as a child-care facility without the consent of the manager. Nothing in this subdivision shall prevent the operator of a child-care facility in a family home from owning or possessing a firearm or a driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement;

(12) Any riverboat gambling operation accessible by the public without the consent of the owner or manager pursuant to rules promulgated by the gaming commission. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of a riverboat gambling operation shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(13) Any gated area of an amusement park. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the amusement park shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(14) Any church or other place of religious worship without the consent of the minister or person or persons representing the religious organization that exercises control over the place of religious worship. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(15) Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch. The owner, business or commercial lessee, manager of a private business enterprise, or any other organization, entity, or person may prohibit persons holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer of the business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying a concealed firearm is prohibited. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. An employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed carry endorsement from carrying a concealed firearm in vehicles owned by the employer;

(16) Any sports arena or stadium with a seating capacity of five thousand or more. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

(17) Any hospital accessible by the public. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of a hospital shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises.

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of one year. If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of three years. Upon conviction of charges arising from a citation issued pursuant to this subsection, the court shall notify the sheriff of the county which issued the certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement and the department of revenue. The sheriff shall suspend or revoke the certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement and the department of revenue shall issue a notice of such suspension or revocation of the concealed carry endorsement and take action to remove the concealed carry endorsement from the individual's driving record. The director of revenue shall notify the licensee that he or she must apply for a new license pursuant to chapter 302 which does not contain such endorsement. A concealed carry endorsement suspension pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall be reinstated at the time of the renewal of his or her driver's license. The notice issued by the department of revenue shall be mailed to the last known address shown on the individual's driving record. The notice is deemed received three days after mailing.

(L. 2003 H.B. 349, et al., § 571.094, subsecs. 20, 21, A.L. 2009 H.B. 132, A.L. 2010 H.B. 1692, et al.)

Please note that the LAW states that it ONLY means that someone can be asked to either not enter or leave the premises. Thus stating that they MUST be asked, not that signage equates to being asked. Pretty clear to me. Keep it concealed.

^This.
There is a restaurant here that forbids the wearing of ties. Very large signs state this and they also state that anyone who wears a tie in the restaurant will get their tie cut off.

No one that has violated this rule has been, or can be, charged with trespass. The restaurants rights have not been violated. The restaurant can not cut a tie without the persons permission.
They can refuse service and/or ask the person to leave.

I fully agree ... that's why I stated I will abide by a sign that is lawfully posted. In Texas, we call it the "30.06 Notice" relating to the article of law that allows a business to post a specific notice word for word from the law. If that notice is posted as required, then entering that place of business with a concealed weapon is illegal. If a business just posts a "NO GUNS ALLOWED" sign, I ignore it as it has no legal standing - EXCEPT to that business' employees.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back