How do you feel/react to "No Guns" signs?

See thread title.

• I ignore the sign. Conceaed means concealed.

Votes: 29 29.3%
  • I disarm and then enter.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I refuse to enter. Armed or not.

Votes: 48 48.5%
  • Breaking the owners rules violates their rights.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Breaking the owners rules does not violate their rights, only their rules.

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Every rule should be followed all of the time. No exceptions.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • It is okay to break some rules.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • A business owner has the right to make rules that violate a persons rights.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • A business owner does not have the right to make a rule that takes away my rights.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • All your base are belong to us.

Votes: 10 10.1%

• Total voters

Beau

I was never here.
Poll is coming. I type slow. Poll is private and multiple choice.

This seems to be a hot issue. The lines have been drawn. Make your stand!!!!! lol

"No gun Signs" Poll

I think it is important that those that carry respect the wishes of business owners and disarm if necessary. If those that carry disrespect others it makes everyone look bad. Of course if everyone would Respect others no one might have to carry to defend themselves. Be Safe!:girl_wink:

I answered that I do not go in...armed or not.

However...in all honesty, I should say that I really don't look very hard (if at all) when I am entering a restaurant or retail store...partly because the signs have no legal weight here and I sort of figure it is up to the owner to post in such a way that I can't miss it if he/she is serious about it.

If my armed status is noticed and an objection is made, I am happy to leave...whether there is a sign or not.

PS...it is good that today we can have an at least somewhat rational discussion...a big thanks to Luke for eliminating yesterday's problem child.

a big thanks to Luke for eliminating yesterday's problem child.

WHAT?!? I'm still here! :biggrin:

My concealed firearm affects no one's ability to make a profit in their business, it does not harm them, it does not cause property damage, it does not require clean up, it emits no odor (except sometimes a faint Hoppe's), it causes no noise.... I just really don't see my concealed firearm as infringing upon anything, except for a criminal's ability to accomplish their goals unhindered.

It depends.
Do I see the sign?

Do I really, REALLY "need" to buy anything from a posted POB? (If yes, I'll usually disarm. However, I usually find what I want elsewhere.)

"IF" I have to do business with a posted business and I feel disarming will GREATLY increase the danger & risk, then my answer is "concealed means concealed". (BTW; there are VERY few places that fit this criteria in my day-to-day activities.)

Finally, I will speak to managers, write letters & drop emails.

You shouldn't have to worry about anybody shooting back, at least...

At least not from certain people.

I was wondering something. Those that feel it is a violation of a business owners rights to carry past a no guns sign, does it matter if your an LEO? On or off duty doesn't matter.

.....However...in all honesty, I should say that I really don't look very hard (if at all) when I am entering a restaurant or retail store...partly because the signs have no legal weight here and I sort of figure it is up to the owner to post in such a way that I can't miss it if he/she is serious about it.

If my armed status is noticed and an objection is made, I am happy to leave...whether there is a sign or not.

Sign? What sign? Oh, that sign. That only applies to knives and snub nosed revolvers. Mine is a semi-auto.:sarcastic:
That is the same law here. You can be asked to leave or disarm if they find out about the gun. If you refuse you can be arrested for trespassing. I just avoid those businesses altogether.

Much as I hate to say it, that is their right as a private property owner to post those stupid signs. However, I have a right to spend my money someplace else. My view on posting public buildings is something totally different.

Looked to me like the java joint (co-)owner was more anti-cop than anti-gun although he's likely both. When there's this much antagonism between the police community and the business community, and the police spokesperson openly acknowledges it, sounds like it's time for some attitude changes, starting with the police commissioner who sets the tone for the force. Of course, I may be making an erroneous assumption that the cops are largely to blame for the problems.

The second amendment is still treated as not there in this country.I don't feel that the SCOTUS did us any favor in their Chicago ruling, as the second amendment spells out our right and only that ,it does not say ' here , but not there ' or ' concealed - not concealed ' or that I have to pay a fee , tax or buy a ccw permit or take special classes.Nor does it say everyone must agree its o k to bear arms , in order to bear arms in the USA .
However......It does say that ' the right to bear arms shall not be infringed ' .And yet in this ( free my ass ) free country that touts so much about its freedom and its great constitution ' the right to bear arms shall not be infringed ' has been infringed ever since it was written in some way or another and SCOTUS & the constitution ignored for over 200 years . Constitutional Rights = :hang3:
So who is right ? The ccw or the store owner ?

Your decision could effect your privilege to carry in this land of the Notso Free .

I don't absolutely avoid non-statutory CPZs in Ohio, but I am MUCH less likely to patronize a business which removes my ability to defend my own life while assuming ZERO responsibility themselves.

Much as I hate to say it, that is their right as a private property owner to post those stupid signs.

Here we go again........At least you didnt say they had the "right" to keep guns off the property (that they have INVITED the public onto), only to post a stupid sign...

BTW.. I agree with the rest of your post.

Not so sure myself...

I did vote but I haven't been carrying long enough to really know what I do. I have purchased a small hard-sided pistol box with a padlock so I CAN lock up my gun in the car to go inside someplace with one of "those" signs.

In my state those signs do carry the force of law and I have to admit I'm rather annoyed by having to constantly look for them to know where I can and can't go while carrying. I live on the border of a state that has a lot of places specified where I can not carry so I need to be prepared there regardless.

I am of the general inclination to respect the owner's wishes but I would likely stop doing business somewhere due to that. I can't say I wouldn't go in at least a few times possibly to inform the business of my "boycott." There may be an instance where I would disregard "those" signs due to safety concerns as stated above but I don't see that happening too frequently either.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back