How do you become an NRA instructor?

S&WM&P40

I have talked to people who are instructors and they say it's easy to become a instructor. But just what does becoming a instructor entail? I read the basic information on the NRA website but it does not really cover much. In my area we have no NRA instructors(none that I can find that teach classes) you have to drive over a hour to take a NRA class. So I'm looking into taking and becoming a instructor for the basic classes(Pistol,Shotgun,Protection inside/outside the home, don't be a victim(online instructor cert). The gun range I'm joining does not have any instructors at it(none that teach classes) so I cant take classes there. What is needed to be a instructor? I read that all the training guides are sent to you by the NRA? Do you need to own massive amounts of firearms to become a instructor? Again I'm just looking to become a basic instructor(not some tactical expert firearm trainer). Any and all HELPFUL/USEFUL information would be much appreciated.

Link Removed

Find an instructors classes and put the time in.
The instruction is the method the NRA wants you to use in your classes.
Also, you learn to teach each part of the course you will be teaching.
You will have hands on and paper testing.
Simple.
Hope this helps

Link Removed

Find an instructors classes and put the time in.
The instruction is the method the NRA wants you to use in your classes.
Also, you learn to teach each part of the course you will be teaching.
You will have hands on and paper testing.
Simple.
Hope this helps

All the information I already know lol. As for finding a instructors class to take to get my cert. That is easier said then done seeing as how again no instructors are listed for NH or VT. I may just say F**** it and just go up to Vermont Tactical like I was going to do and take the classes I want.

What LGH said.

The training guides are provided by the Training Counselor that offers the course and are covered by the cost of the course. The courses will be taught by a training counselor and you can find the courses by going to the links in LGH's post and searching for the Instructor Certifications you wish to hold.

The guns you need to teach vary according to which courses you wish to teach.

I see what you mean. There are no instructor courses listed for Vermont or New Hampshire. You might search around other states until you find the course you wish to take. After serving two years as an instructor, you can become a TC and train other instructors. Seeing the lack of TC's in your area, that might be a real boon for you.

What LGH said.

The training guides are provided by the Training Counselor that offers the course and are covered by the cost of the course. The courses will be taught by a training counselor and you can find the courses by going to the links in LGH's post and searching for the Instructor Certifications you wish to hold.

The guns you need to teach vary according to which courses you wish to teach.

Again THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTORS teaching in NH or VT for the classes I wish to take.

Is this a standardized program to become an instructor?

I've seen course requirements from as extreme as "must be able to demonstrate competency with a handgun, 3" groups at 25 yards. All the way to the other side where there is no live fire at all..

Is there an NRA guideline on this course

Again THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTORS teaching in NH or VT for the classes I wish to take.
I think everyone gets that by now. You just might have to go somewhere else... Like maybe Maine, New York, Connecticut or Assachusetts. If it's that important it's worth traveling for.

Travel is sometimes needed. I have had to travel up to 3 hours for some of the courses.

I've seen course requirements from as extreme as "must be able to demonstrate competency with a handgun, 3" groups at 25 yards. All the way to the other side where there is no live fire at all..

That is kinda what I was getting at when making this thread but no one but you got it.

I think everyone gets that by now. You just might have to go somewhere else... Like maybe Maine, New York, Connecticut or Assachusetts. If it's that important it's worth traveling for.

I would rather be shot then step foot in MA or NY or CT OR NJ or CA and so on... Maine is a maybe I will have to cehck into it. I checked into it and they have all of the cert classes I'm looking for. Now I just need to get time off to go do it.

Travel is sometimes needed. I have had to travel up to 3 hours for some of the courses.

That's all well and good when you have free time to travel that long. But when your working two or three jobs you don't have time to do that. I'll keep looking maybe someday soon the NRA will get more trainers in our state.

The course curriculum and shooting requirements varies from course to course. Some do not require shooting while others do. If you are an experienced shooter, you will probably be able to fulfill the shooting requirements for most courses.

That's all well and good when you have free time to travel that long. But when your working two or three jobs you don't have time to do that. I'll keep looking maybe someday soon the NRA will get more trainers in our state.

The NRA does not "get" trainers. Folks such as yourself decide they want to first become instructors and then like it so much they decide they want to be Training Counselors.

Apparently no one in your area has made that choice. You could be the first.

I just finished some of the instructor courses over the last week or so and paid the TC $1,000 for the courses. He has taught one class with 30 students (he had assistants to help) at around $250 per student. So you can see there is a financial benefit as well as the satisfaction of training folks to shoot.

If you do not wish to make the effort to receive the training, that is your choice. None of my classes were at home, some were out of state, but it was worth the effort.

I would rather be shot then step foot in MA or NY or CT OR NJ or CA and so on... Maine is a maybe I will have to cehck into it. I checked into it and they have all of the cert classes I'm looking for. Now I just need to get time off to go do it.
If everyone takes that attitude there will never be any instructors in your state. Did you want to become an instructor to make a difference or just because it'd be cool?

If everyone takes that attitude there will never be any instructors in your state. Did you want to become an instructor to make a difference or just because it'd be cool?

I know this question wasn't directed at me but i'll answer anyway :)

I feel that instructors who become instructors to fulfill their own ego will likely not be great instructors. (my opinion..)

I think being an instructor would be an honor but a burden.

If you are only in it for the $ I don't think you'll last long as i'm sure its not steady pay like a 9-5 and if you only do it to supplement your income you'll likely have to give up personal time with family/friends to go do a class.

This is my speculation as I'm not an instructor. I want to go to the NRA Law Enforcement Handgun/Shotgun course but I need to work on my SG manipulation more.

Also - I think being an instructor doesn't label you an expert but rather a 'person that should have known better' should anything ever occur.

What attitude would that be? Not having the time to travel that far becasue of working to many jobs/hours so I can make ends meet and support a family. Got news for you EVEN PEOPLE IN those states don't want to be there! So why would someone of sound mind willing choose to enter them?As for wanting to becoming a NRA instructor "because it's cool" LMAO it's far from it.

The course curriculum and shooting requirements varies from course to course. Some do not require shooting while others do. If you are an experienced shooter, you will probably be able to fulfill the shooting requirements for most courses.

The NRA does not "get" trainers. Folks such as yourself decide they want to first become instructors and then like it so much they decide they want to be Training Counselors.

Apparently no one in your area has made that choice. You could be the first.

I just finished some of the instructor courses over the last week or so and paid the TC $1,000 for the courses. He has taught one class with 30 students (he had assistants to help) at around $250 per student. So you can see there is a financial benefit as well as the satisfaction of training folks to shoot.

If you do not wish to make the effort to receive the training, that is your choice. None of my classes were at home, some were out of state, but it was worth the effort.

The money is all well and good but that's far from the reason for wanting to become a instructor. I'm looking to do as a way to give back to my local area. If I did charge for it it would be just enough to cover the cost of the books and other aids. The going cost for classes around here is 50-160 Max I have never seen it higher then that.

The money is all well and good but that's far from the reason for wanting to become a instructor. I'm looking to do as a way to give back to my local area. If I did charge for it it would be just enough to cover the cost of the books and other aids. The going cost for classes around here is 50-160 Max I have never seen it higher then that.

Only you can decide what your time is worth. You set the charges for your classes and there are expenses involved, as you stated.

There is a great sense of fulfillment when you successfully share what you have worked hard to learn with someone else. It is not about ego as someone else has stated.

I was a FTO with the Dallas PD and I wanted my rookies to be trained to safely conduct their business as a LEO and do it to the best of their ability. I train folks in the use of firearms because I want them to be safe and competent in the use of their chosen gun. Our Second Amendment rights take a hit every time someone unintentionally shoots themselves or someone else. With proper training, perhaps we can reduce those incidents.

Don't give up on getting that training so you can help others be safe, competent shooters.

Only you can decide what your time is worth. You set the charges for your classes and there are expenses involved, as you stated.

There is a great sense of fulfillment when you successfully share what you have worked hard to learn with someone else. It is not about ego as someone else has stated.

I was a FTO with the Dallas PD and I wanted my rookies to be trained to safely conduct their business as a LEO and do it to the best of their ability. I train folks in the use of firearms because I want them to be safe and competent in the use of their chosen gun. Our Second Amendment rights take a hit every time someone unintentionally shoots themselves or someone else. With proper training, perhaps we can reduce those incidents.

Don't give up on getting that training so you can help others be safe, competent shooters.

I'm in now way giving up on it I just have to find the time to travel to Maine to take the classes. I'm no way looking to become a instructor for the "cool factor" or the money factor. It's just a way to give back to my area and people wishing to learn how to use a firearm. I will keep you posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back