How common is open carry really?

What's the big deal?

Here in Michigan there is a controversy brewing in Royal Oak during a Labor Day celebration called Eats, Beats and Eats regarding people wanting to open carry guns at the festival. As a cpl holder of 20 years, I don't get why anyone would want to give away your tactical advantage by advertising that you have a weapon? Further, unless you have been trained in weapon retention tactics, why would a person want to risk have some fool try and take the weapon from you and use on you? I carry my weapon almost everywhere and no one knows I am packing. I just don't get it.

Mr.Glock, thanks.

For WI, there is no concealed carry. Open carry is the only thing, and it has to be unloaded and in a case when in something motorized though it does not have to be locked.

I came from a concealed carry state and in better economic times I would not have picked WI. That is why I am asking about how often open carry happens here, and I know there is a better forum for it, and I am reading things on that too.

OC or CC has never been an issue for me because I have always carried CC just from personal preference. In my state OC is legal. I talked to our sheriff about it and he said his deputies might be a little curious about why I might OC but I would not be given a hard time about it. I agree with Mr. Glock in that I wouldn't want to give away a tactical advantage by CC. However, there are those who would disagree but that is their bag. I think we should all do what feels best to us. :pleasantry:

I saw my first person from WI open carrying. Been here 10 weeks. First sighting was different, was a guy from TX visiting on business.

Was at a Gander Mountain Sunday in Janesville WI. Guy held a door for us as we walked out and then I noticed. Had been raining off and on so I did not stop and talk to him.

Things continue to evolve in WI, and as mentioned hopefully next elections will help.

Hello, I did not see much new information here. I may have a lead on a job in WI that would require relocation. I do not see much here on how much the average person open carries versus when there is a rally. I would like to get a sense of whether you are just driving around with locked hand guns and leaving them in the vehicles and not open carrying or whether open carry is really only tolerated in some areas or on private property.

I am from MA and have visited WI, and with as bad as MA is for rules there is a license to carry for the priviledged. Open carry does not fly.

I have visited WI for almost 30 years and can't recall seeing anyone open carry, granted I am there on business. I have not gone to all parts. For many years I was in Kenosha and Racine. I was in Beloit and the area a 3-4 years ago. I have been in Tomah, WI Rapids more lately and nearby areas.

Thank you.

I open carry every single day. I have been carrying for close to a year and the only time I have ever been approached by any LEO is the incident in Madison.

Everyday

I open carry everyday. I live in a rural area near La Crosse and whether I am on the farm or in town, I carry everyday almost everywhere I go. Welcome and Carry On!

Howdy to all, I open carry a full sized 1911 in condition one from the moment I wake up in the morning to the moment I lay my head down at night. I have the .45 within arms reach at all times when it is not holstered.

In Buffalo County WI, I kinda feel like the Lone Ranger. Have yet to see anyone else carry. However, In La Crosse WI, I have seen several on several different occasions.

I stand on the side of the Constitution and the 2A...

Hardballer out!

Interesting, I have Open carried since 1986 without one single incident. I was once informed by a former police chief in my town that they had once received a call back in the early 90's when I was shopping in a local store and he just happened to be on duty. He replied to the caller that I was doing nothing illegal and a police intervention was not necessary. What happened to the LEO of old days? Today it is all about power trips.

IMHO, with the statements from the Clark County Judge and the Jackson County DA, I say just do it. You know what manner of carry is needed for your daily situations. Do what you must to insure your right to self defense.

Interesting, I have Open carried since 1986 without one single incident. I was once informed by a former police chief in my town that they had once received a call back in the early 90's when I was shopping in a local store and he just happened to be on duty. He replied to the caller that I was doing nothing illegal and a police intervention was not necessary. What happened to the LEO of old days? Today it is all about power trips.

IMHO, with the statements from the Clark County Judge and the Jackson County DA, I say just do it. You know what manner of carry is needed for your daily situations. Do what you must to insure your right to self defense.

+1 bold (my emphasis)

As far as how common? Well to be honest, IMHO I don't think it is very "Common" at this point. there are probably 1000 OCers in Wisconsin give or take a few hundred and when you think about how many people actually live within the state I would say that it is not very common.
With that said I do think the numbers are growing. There are some individuals out there that are really making a difference. And then there are some groups that are taking credit for what those individuals do. Take it which ever way you like, it all boils down to the constituents hammering their legislators on the issue and getting them to vote to repeal 941.23. Then with non-permitted carry you will start to see the numbers take off and it will be more common then ever before. Join the TEA Party and force the GOP legislators to stand true to the GOP Platform. It is the only way we will succeed in getting Constitutional Carry.

By the way the OpenlyCommunisticDictatorshipOrganization forum is :hang3: In case any of you haven't noticed they have been banning real new members over there just because the likes of one of their favorite gun rights groups top contributor has been finger pointing and calling everyone troll. It is hilarious. They believe every new member is two former members (Me and Doug Huffman)who were banned. The funniest part is they are wrong! ROFLMFAO! The demise of OpenlyCommunisticDictatorshipOrganization Forum at the hands of its creator. How fitting. It is OK though to many butterflies over there with man crushes.

OC is a better deterrent.

Here in Michigan there is a controversy brewing in Royal Oak during a Labor Day celebration called Eats, Beats and Eats regarding people wanting to open carry guns at the festival. As a cpl holder of 20 years, I don't get why anyone would want to give away your tactical advantage by advertising that you have a weapon? Further, unless you have been trained in weapon retention tactics, why would a person want to risk have some fool try and take the weapon from you and use on you? I carry my weapon almost everywhere and no one knows I am packing. I just don't get it.

Glock:

Read this thread: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

Mainsail gives a very good essay on OC.

Now my take:

1. WI only has OC, its OC or defenseless. Given that choice, thousands of us choose to OC.

2. As mainsail points out OC says, "I'm a hard target." The criminals will find an easier target.

3. Only about 5% of the USA carries a firearm. 2% in MN. The criminals know this. You don't look armed, 98% chance you AREN'T armed, the criminal makes his move.

4. Gun GRAB fears are unfounded. Thousands OC every day in WI. The probability/possibility of a grab is very small.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back